Sauces such as mayo, pesto etc / freezing

I'm wondering if anybody makes large batches at a time of blank sauce and freezes in mason jars???

I'm trying to get around plastic any way I can, so ice cube trays are out, and so are ziplocks...

I already tried to freeze home grown basil in a mason jar... That was the first time using the jars in the freezer, and it didn't work because I ignored a law of physics or something...

Thanks

mayo will not retain it's texture after the freeze/thaw, so I wouldn't recommend that, but pesto would be fine--I think it would be better frozen as pesto than whole leaves, actually. What went wrong with your mason jar basil? As long as you leave a little space in the jar a glass jar should be fine in the freezer (stuff expands when frozen, so filling a jar too full might lead to an explosion).

Ok, no mayo... Thanks, I'll make it fresh every time... I just checked another basil jar and it's fine, so I don't know what happened with the first... I don't know how messing up putting on a mason jar lid is possible, but I did it...

• Moderators

Just to point out, if you ever do come across something you want to freeze as ice cubes, there are ice cube trays made out of silicone or stainless steel, which would let you not use plastic. For instance, if you wanted to freeze herbs in oil, like this. But mason jars are cheap and easy to find, so it may not ever be a consideration.

Thanks for the tips... I just look past plastic claiming to be BPA free because none of them claim to be BPS free... I never thought of using olive oil to freeze, or any oil... I'm going to implement it

Archived