Starting July 13th

Nickiechan

I am doing ok. Still enjoying the food and feeling lighter. I def have been having very vivid dreams. this weekend we are going to a high school reunion weekend, so the food will be a challenge. I am still having some cravings but am white knuckling it. I am determined to make it to thirty. 

I appreciate the support here- just being here. Life is good. Isn;t it good that we can all choose to be healthy? 

today I had an omelette for  meal one with leftover meat sauce. 

meal two was left over chicken with avocado mayo from the whole 30 book and blueberries in my seltzer. tomaotes on the side.

My kids and grandkids are here for a few says so I think i will do spagetti squash with meat sauce for them tonight. 

My kitchen my rules:)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's day 18 for me, and I have to admit, I'm just over it at this point...

Overall I'm feeling pretty good, but I wouldn't say that I'm feeling remarkably different than "before".  My clothes are fitting better, which is obviously great.  I have also been doing the 30 Day Shred workout series along with my Whole30 though, so that could be helping as well.  Some nights I think that I'm sleeping better, which was one of my goals, but then other nights it's back to the same restlessness and multiple wake-ups.  I've also found some great recipes and have gotten back into the habit of meal planning, which is huge for me.  I enjoy cooking but wasn't making it a priority, so it''s been kind of nice to be forced to do that again.

I think that I just continue to really struggle with fitting this plan into my (very hectic) life.  Every night this week I've had something come up that has had me away from home at dinner time.  Once I was able to bring something along, but the other 2 nights I've been eating, by myself, something late at night once we're back home.  I will be away from the house for all 3 meals on Friday, and although I know that I could bring my own food and plan ahead and do all of these things, I just don't feel like it.  I want to be able to just go and enjoy the event, vs having to worry about keeping my food cold and available, explaining again and again why I can't eat the food...  Like I said, just over it :)

It sounds like you have a super hectic life, but I really hope you're able to complete all 30 days since it sounds like you have had some positive changes and I know you'll have even more positives if you give it the whole 30 days ;)! After the 30 days you can relax on the rules enough to make it fit your life a lot easier.

For the all day Friday thing, is there any chance there will be compliant food for at least some of the meals so you don't have to cart so much with you? If you're near a Whole Foods, I have heard that some have Paleo food on their hot bar, which might be an easy way for you to grab an go instead of cooking and packing. Rotisserie chicken is a fast and versatile quick solution for busy days (just watch ingredients). Just try to make it as simple on yourself as you can to get through it - and then when Friday is over, you only have just over a week to the finish line!

Also, you mentioned sleep issues that are lingering. You might want to check the forum under Troubleshooting. I looked quickly and saw this thread that might be of help to you - and I'm sure there are more related to sleep. Since you're doing a workout plan, you might need more carbs to have a restful sleep. When I first started Paleo I went way too low carb accidentally. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/29829-insomnia-ketosis/

Anyway - I hope you're able to stay the course, but everyone is entitled to live their own lives and make their own decisions, so I wish you all of the best whatever you decide to do! :D

Betsie

Still here and hanging in! I continue to work on keeping to three meals and no snacking. I'm doing better between meal 1 and 2 - added another egg to my breakfast veggie and meat hash to keep me satiated longer. I struggle between meal 2 and 3, though because we seem to be eating dinner later this week. I eat lunch between noon and 1 and then dinner has been 6:30 or 7, so I'm really starving by then. I try to eat according to the template and have increased my portions this week for lunch but I still get hungry by late afternoon. I had some nuts yesterday but was still so famished that I could have eaten broccoli and fish, and I was cranky while fixing dinner. Then, because I had waited so long, it felt like I couldn't get full and ended up snaking more after dinner. So, today I think it's best to plan on a balanced snack late in the afternoon - I have a 5:30 board meeting, so dinner is likely to be very late and I just can't go that long. I will get the hang of not grazing, I'm sure!

Meanwhile, the docs have determined I need sinus surgery for sure. So, next Wednesday I go under the knife :blink: I'll be finishing the W30 in recuperation mode! I think I will deserve some dark chocolate when it's all over!

Betsie

Good luck Betsie on your surgery.  We made it through day 17 with M1 scramble with some leftover pork tenderloin, spinach, onions, cilantro and a touch of El Pato.  M2 was some of the left over chili - this is our 2nd batch of chili - we really enjoy it, and M3 was some grilled coconut-curry chicken with veggies and salad with homemade balsamic dressing with some watermelon for dessert.  All in all, we are doing pretty well - it sure helps having the wife on-board during this, and my mother has bought into it as well with helping out with some of the dinners - she has noticed some weight loss also.

We have lost weight - clothes are fitting a little bit looser and I can certainly tell it in my wife's appearance.  Feel pretty good and a little more energy.

Woke up this morning with a bit of a belly ache - don't really know why, but had a light scramble plain and I do feel better - I guess I will chalk it up to my body healing and move on.

Take care all, and hang in there.

• Moderators

Still here and hanging in! I continue to work on keeping to three meals and no snacking. I'm doing better between meal 1 and 2 - added another egg to my breakfast veggie and meat hash to keep me satiated longer. I struggle between meal 2 and 3, though because we seem to be eating dinner later this week. I eat lunch between noon and 1 and then dinner has been 6:30 or 7, so I'm really starving by then. I try to eat according to the template and have increased my portions this week for lunch but I still get hungry by late afternoon. I had some nuts yesterday but was still so famished that I could have eaten broccoli and fish, and I was cranky while fixing dinner. Then, because I had waited so long, it felt like I couldn't get full and ended up snaking more after dinner. So, today I think it's best to plan on a balanced snack late in the afternoon - I have a 5:30 board meeting, so dinner is likely to be very late and I just can't go that long. I will get the hang of not grazing, I'm sure!

Meanwhile, the docs have determined I need sinus surgery for sure. So, next Wednesday I go under the knife :blink: I'll be finishing the W30 in recuperation mode! I think I will deserve some dark chocolate when it's all over!

Betsie

Hi, Betsie!

While Whole30 recommends no snacking, in a situation like yours where you're having to go more than five hours between lunch and dinner, it's understandable that you'll get hungry. It would be okay to have something in that situation. Try to have a mini meal with protein, fat, and vegetable, or at least two of those three, and still avoid what we tend to think of as "snacking" here in the US -- that mindless eating, where you just go to get a few nuts to tide you over, and the next thing you know, you've eaten all the nuts in the house (or is that just me?). But you could have something like a little bit of leftover meat and vegetables, or a hard boiled egg with a little mayo and maybe some celery or carrot sticks or something like that, or even a little bit of mayo or guacamole with some vegetable for dipping. Ideally, it will be small enough that you're still able to eat your meal with your family, but enough to curb that hunger, and hopefully prevent you wanting to snack the rest of the evening.

Hi, Betsie!

While Whole30 recommends no snacking, in a situation like yours where you're having to go more than five hours between lunch and dinner, it's understandable that you'll get hungry. It would be okay to have something in that situation. Try to have a mini meal with protein, fat, and vegetable, or at least two of those three, and still avoid what we tend to think of as "snacking" here in the US -- that mindless eating, where you just go to get a few nuts to tide you over, and the next thing you know, you've eaten all the nuts in the house (or is that just me?). But you could have something like a little bit of leftover meat and vegetables, or a hard boiled egg with a little mayo and maybe some celery or carrot sticks or something like that, or even a little bit of mayo or guacamole with some vegetable for dipping. Ideally, it will be small enough that you're still able to eat your meal with your family, but enough to curb that hunger, and hopefully prevent you wanting to snack the rest of the evening.

Thanks Shannon - yes, exactly my thoughts on the snacking between lunch and dinner. I know it needs to be PFC balanced and not just a handful of nuts, etc. so I'll make it a mini-meal. Just heard that my 5:30 meeting will include pizza (why do they do that to us?). I'm fine with avoiding it as I haven't had regular pizza in a couple of years, but I definitely don't want to be smelling it while hungry so I'll be prepared! Thanks for confirming what I feel is the right course!

Betsie

Betsie-

Thank you!  You are so helpful and encouraging!  I realized I came across as very negative, sorry about that, I promise I am normally a very positive person :)

On Friday I am going to an all day company family picnic at a water/amusement park.  The company is providing the food, and I have no idea of what will be provided.  In general my company tries to promote health so I'm sure there will be some fresh fruit and maybe veggies.  I know there will be lots of beer, I can always count on that, ha!  We have a decent drive to get there (I work in a satellite office) so we will be leaving pretty early in the morning, and probably not coming back until late.  I am planning to bring some of my own food, but am also hoping I can fill in with things that are provided.

After thinking about it, I've decided that maybe the best approach for me for the remaining 1/3 of this is to just focus on making the best choices that I can when I'm out.  Any food that I have control over, I will make 100% Whole30.  But, if I get pulled into a client lunch, I'm not going to keep making awkward excuses as to why I'm not eating, and am just going to try to order the best thing that I can given my options.  I feel comfortable with this approach, and think that it will take some of the pressure off.  

In other news, my husband smoked a few chickens last weekend and it has made the best chicken salad, which I've been eating all week.... except now I am sad that it's all gone... might have to talk him into smoking some more meat this weekend :)

Day 17 for me - on the downhill side of the Whole30!  I've come to like unsweetened tea (having come from the deep South, that's an accomplishment all in itself!)...and have been able to forego snacks as of yesterday (and today so far).  :)  Small victories.  

Planning the next few days (over the weekend) and finding that SOME, not all, of the recipes in Well Fed are not Whole30 compliant.  So I will stick with the Whole30 book at least 'til we're through this - I hate to start writing out the shopping list then scratch it out when I see something non-compliant.  Tonight is Shrimp Scampi and Lemon Spinach...so really looking forward to that!

Workout (spin) went great - plenty of energy, and after a night of 3.5 hours of sleep (Wednesday night), last night was back up to 5.25 hours - not too bad for me!

Onward and upward!

Hi Everyone!  Still cooking up a storm.  I have enough food in the fridge I can take a couple of days off from cooking  :)  

M1-  Kitchen sink scramble & leftover roasted root veggies, fruit

M2-  Leftover hamburger, zoodles & fruit.

M3- This evening I grilled "The Very Best Chicken Ever & Chimchurri Beef Kabobs.  Side of sweet potato & homemade kale chips & side salad

Can't remember what I ate yesterday.............oh wait, I was traveling and had to eat out twice.  (I was prepared for one meal out, but not two.)  Lunch was a mexican restaurant and I had the chicken fajita salad without the tortilla bowl with guacamole and fresh veggies for chips.  Dinner was fish & a sweet potato with some kale chips I brought along.  

So, there is a lot of chat about snacking in this forum.  Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind 3 large meals vs. 4-5 small meals?  I am usually doing just 3 meals a day, but I have to pig out big time in order to make it to the next mealtime.  If I don't eat until I am icky "Thanksgiving" full, I get super hungry before my lunch or dinner.  I have always been under the impression that several small meals a day were healthier than this gluttony!  LOL  Providing that they are adequately balanced with protein, fat & carbs or veggies.  So, perhaps one can explain it again.  I am rereading the book again, but have not gotten to this part.

Glad to see so many of you still here!  I have surgery scheduled for Tuesday and am a bit anxious as I must have a general anesthesia even though the procedure is only about 30 min.   :(   Historically I get super nauseous after a general, but I am hopeful my clean system will help me recover more easily.  Not sure what the day will look like foodwise.  Does anyone have some suggestions for easy food that I can pack in an iced lunch bag?  Stuff that would be easy on a sort of sick tummy?  I live an hour from the hospital, so it will be outpatient surgery but a long ride home after no food all day.

My arthritis is GONE!  Wow, I love this Whole30!  I have finally found a "diet" that fits me perfectly.   :wub: I have always wanted to know how to cook like this.  I was so sick of steamed veggies, and I have learned how to cook so many new things!  I am beyond excited!  

Hubby and I are in the middle of painting the exterior of the house.  I have so much strength in my legs for the ladder climbing! :D

Betsie-

Thank you!  You are so helpful and encouraging!  I realized I came across as very negative, sorry about that, I promise I am normally a very positive person :)

On Friday I am going to an all day company family picnic at a water/amusement park.  The company is providing the food, and I have no idea of what will be provided.  In general my company tries to promote health so I'm sure there will be some fresh fruit and maybe veggies.  I know there will be lots of beer, I can always count on that, ha!  We have a decent drive to get there (I work in a satellite office) so we will be leaving pretty early in the morning, and probably not coming back until late.  I am planning to bring some of my own food, but am also hoping I can fill in with things that are provided.

After thinking about it, I've decided that maybe the best approach for me for the remaining 1/3 of this is to just focus on making the best choices that I can when I'm out.  Any food that I have control over, I will make 100% Whole30.  But, if I get pulled into a client lunch, I'm not going to keep making awkward excuses as to why I'm not eating, and am just going to try to order the best thing that I can given my options.  I feel comfortable with this approach, and think that it will take some of the pressure off.  

In other news, my husband smoked a few chickens last weekend and it has made the best chicken salad, which I've been eating all week.... except now I am sad that it's all gone... might have to talk him into smoking some more meat this weekend :)

I think sometimes that this sort of lifestyle change is all in the timing.  Yes we look into the future and make an informed decision about beginning, but life does throw curve balls.  So I am glad you have not given up completely.  I am reminded that we can begin our day over at anytime, and the same holds true for the Whole30.  I am pretty sure that if I just gave up the dairy, wheat & sugar I would be feeling pretty darn good about now, but to add all of the other restrictions has been an eye opener for me.  I did not expect such dynamic results so quickly, but I was also feeling VERY toxic when I began 2+ weeks ago.  So, hang in there.  I am quite confident that we hone our skills the longer we stick with this, and I for one am looking forward to this becoming a new habit!

Hi Everyone!  Still cooking up a storm.  I have enough food in the fridge I can take a couple of days off from cooking  :)

M1-  Kitchen sink scramble & leftover roasted root veggies, fruit

M2-  Leftover hamburger, zoodles & fruit.

M3- This evening I grilled "The Very Best Chicken Ever & Chimchurri Beef Kabobs.  Side of sweet potato & homemade kale chips & side salad

Can't remember what I ate yesterday.............oh wait, I was traveling and had to eat out twice.  (I was prepared for one meal out, but not two.)  Lunch was a mexican restaurant and I had the chicken fajita salad without the tortilla bowl with guacamole and fresh veggies for chips.  Dinner was fish & a sweet potato with some kale chips I brought along.  

So, there is a lot of chat about snacking in this forum.  Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind 3 large meals vs. 4-5 small meals?  I am usually doing just 3 meals a day, but I have to pig out big time in order to make it to the next mealtime.  If I don't eat until I am icky "Thanksgiving" full, I get super hungry before my lunch or dinner.  I have always been under the impression that several small meals a day were healthier than this gluttony!  LOL  Providing that they are adequately balanced with protein, fat & carbs or veggies.  So, perhaps one can explain it again.  I am rereading the book again, but have not gotten to this part.

Glad to see so many of you still here!  I have surgery scheduled for Tuesday and am a bit anxious as I must have a general anesthesia even though the procedure is only about 30 min.   :(   Historically I get super nauseous after a general, but I am hopeful my clean system will help me recover more easily.  Not sure what the day will look like foodwise.  Does anyone have some suggestions for easy food that I can pack in an iced lunch bag?  Stuff that would be easy on a sort of sick tummy?  I live an hour from the hospital, so it will be outpatient surgery but a long ride home after no food all day.

My arthritis is GONE!  Wow, I love this Whole30!  I have finally found a "diet" that fits me perfectly.   :wub: I have always wanted to know how to cook like this.  I was so sick of steamed veggies, and I have learned how to cook so many new things!  I am beyond excited!  

Hubby and I are in the middle of painting the exterior of the house.  I have so much strength in my legs for the ladder climbing! :D

Your arthritis is GONE!!! Woo Hoo! That's huge! Congratulations!!!!! :D Really amazing what eating the right food can do!

You asked about snacking - In the Whole 30 book, go to page 79 for an explanation of why we should try to avoid snacking. As the moderator mentioned to me yesterday, sometimes you just have to have a snack because it's too long in between meals, but the point is to avoid grazing throughout the day (which I have been guilty of, for sure!) - The grazing can disrupt hormones and of course cause overeating. I know my lunches were too light, so I'm working on increasing quantity so I don't graze till dinner. Everyone has to find their sweet spot, I think.

We'll be surgery buddies next week, lol. You're Tuesday and I'm Wednesday ;).  I've had some oral surgery while being Paleo and I found baked potatoes to be a good post-surgery food - can be eaten cold if you feel like eating before you get home. I usually make a big pot of soup the day before to have ready when I get home, too. I don't love plain bone broth so I make soup with it instead. Other good things for upset tummies are bananas and ginger - ginger tea is great. I hope you don't end up too nauseous afterwards. 

Betsie

Another day down - on to day 18 for me.  And a Friday, no less.  The weekends are toughest, but I'm trying to stay busy so I don't think about splurging.  So far I have 2 weekends under my belt, so this one should be no more tempting, especially since we had company last weekend and were able to stay on-plan.  

I have noticed something odd, and can either attribute it to our unusually hot weather or to the Whole30, but my eczema is back early (it usually doesn't hit until September), and I had a headache prior to supper yesterday - not a bad one, but one of those that say 'hey, I'm fixing to get bad'.  Once we ate, it went away.  But the eczema did not.  Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it.  Otherwise, I'm amazed at my mental clarity - I can remember things MUCH easier.  Which then increases my confidence...which is never a bad thing.  :)

Still trying to stay away from eating out - I'm really scared of the temptations out there.  So staying close to home until this is over.  Only 12 more days!

Hello day 18. it has been a stressful week with my daughter and her husband and her two babies here all week. Yikes. But I am hanging in there. I find I am craving bread. Probably the stress. But I have been strong. I def feel an increase in energy and am able to keep up with all of the activitiy around here. 

reunion is coming tomorrow, I will pack snacks for the six hour drive and have a good breakfast before we leave. I am thinking hard boiled eggs and deli turkey andsome olives will come with me. 

wish us luck! it will be nice to get away!

Day 23 for me, I hope that everyone had a great weekend!

My new plan of just doing my best while out is going really well, I feel such a relief from the stress of always trying to think/plan/obsess about what I'm eating.  I think I've been able to do pretty good too, with the exception of maybe the oil on some grilled chicken.  This week is another busy one for me.

We had another dinner party on Saturday and I managed to avoid all of the chips and salsa, the wine (the hardest for me), and the cookies.  I even took the kiddos on a nice long walk to the park while the rest of the adults lingered after dinner, discussing the (apparently wonderful) wine.  

This week I am planning to make the Spicy Tuna Cakes, and probably some bison / bacon burgers.  

Beginning of Day 20 - and the end of the 3rd weekend in the plan!  Those are the toughest for me - because they are just jam packed with free time - free time that I can choose to use to do yard and house work, and free time where I can relax with a glass of wine.  But I can't.  So I relaxed with a glass of iced Perrier with a squeeze of lime.  :)  Not quite the same, but pleasant nonetheless.  

I'm THANKFULLY doing this with my daughter who lives in Texas (I live in Oregon)...and we text our struggles back and forth - it's great to have a com-padre!  My sister, whom I dearly love, is less than helpful and sees no sense in what we are doing, but it's working for us - so I just let it go in one ear and out the other.  My husband and I have decided we're going to continue the plan (except for the no wine part...that's a deal breaker for me going forward) until/unless we come across something that we feel we must have (i.e., pizza on a Friday night at one of those wood-fired pizza places - our favorite).  Otherwise, I'm liking coconut milk in my coffee and boiled egg for breakfast with fruit.  The recipes are EXTRAORDINARY (tried the Dallas' Watermelon Salad last night - to DIE for!).  Anyway, feeling good - but glad there's only one weekend left on the plan!

Have a great week, all!  Happy eating!

Hi all! Glad to see we still have survivors after weekend #3! Only one more weekend to go - we got this!

I'm still working on my snack habit. Doing well not snacking between breakfast and lunch and added a mini-meal between lunch and dinner when dinner runs later. I do like a little dessert and summer fruit is so freaking amazing, so I have that as a little evening snack.

I'm sticking to just one cup of coffee a day - seems ok.

I'm also getting pretty good at slowing down when I'm eating and making sure to chew my food and really taste it instead of half chewing then swallowing. It does help with satiety and enjoyment of food!

I had some grumpiness this weekend related to what I couldn't have - margarita and chocolate - but I think it was more hormonal than W30 related, if you know what I mean :huh: .

Overall, I'm good, but I am looking forward to the end, so I can loosen the rules just a tad. Surgery is Wed. so I'm going to prep a large vat of soup and bake some potatoes to have on hand for comfort food during recovery.

One more week, team! ;)

Betsie

Hi Gang,

All is well here.  I have stayed Whole30 so far!  Making sure i have lots of stuff in the fridge to choose from and I'm getting a little better at throwing stuff together.  Dinner was carnitas on cauliflower rice with a side salad & some guacamole.  Yum.  Lunch was protein salad & breakfast was leftover spaghetti squash with pasta sauce and fruit.  Going to have a snack tonight as I have surgery tomorrow and won't be able to eat all day.  I hope to be home by late afternoon and will pack a little something to take along so if I feel like it I can eat something on the way home.  My hubby had pizza last night and it smelled great, but when I played out in my mind what that would FEEL like, it was easy not to go there!  

I was grumpy today and really tired.  No explanation, oh and I really wanted something sweet!  Argh.  I grumbled and asked dear hubby to please not bake those chocolate chip cookies tonight!  Phew.  Feeling like i dodged a bullet.  My guard was down today...........I began to wonder what I ate yesterday?  Did it effect me this way?  Maybe just another phase..........

Anyway, we are in the home stretch, though to be perfectly honest I have decided this is the core way for me to cook.  I look forward to phasing a few things back in.  I have SO much corn in the veggie garden!  LOL

Hi Gang,

All is well here.  I have stayed Whole30 so far!  Making sure i have lots of stuff in the fridge to choose from and I'm getting a little better at throwing stuff together.  Dinner was carnitas on cauliflower rice with a side salad & some guacamole.  Yum.  Lunch was protein salad & breakfast was leftover spaghetti squash with pasta sauce and fruit.  Going to have a snack tonight as I have surgery tomorrow and won't be able to eat all day.  I hope to be home by late afternoon and will pack a little something to take along so if I feel like it I can eat something on the way home.  My hubby had pizza last night and it smelled great, but when I played out in my mind what that would FEEL like, it was easy not to go there!  

I was grumpy today and really tired.  No explanation, oh and I really wanted something sweet!  Argh.  I grumbled and asked dear hubby to please not bake those chocolate chip cookies tonight!  Phew.  Feeling like i dodged a bullet.  My guard was down today...........I began to wonder what I ate yesterday?  Did it effect me this way?  Maybe just another phase..........

Anyway, we are in the home stretch, though to be perfectly honest I have decided this is the core way for me to cook.  I look forward to phasing a few things back in.  I have SO much corn in the veggie garden!  LOL

Alison - good luck with your surgery today! I hope things go smoothly and your recovery is swift.

I'm betting your grumpiness is in anticipation of the surgery - I'm feeling the same way the last few days and I really don't think it's about the food. Well, except that I would like to eat my anxiety related to the upcoming surgery. :blink:

Thinking of you today!

Betsie

Well I am returning to day one. The reunion was not a smooth ride! I expected that there would be more to eat there that I could partake of- like eggs for breakfast-they only had mini quiches! Over all it was not a total train wreck but Cheese won. 

I am not sad. I have seen a lot of benifits and am restarting after only one day of lapse. Could be worse! 

I have joined a new thread for day one and wish you all the best! 

All is well here too...after today, only 7 days to go!  Last night was the Chicken Hash, and it was great!  Had enough for my husband to have a lunch of it today.  I had tuna salad (Whole30 compliant).  We have to weigh in today (we're with Weight Watchers, so far).  We did discuss quitting WW, though, because we intend to stick with the Whole30 even afterwards with only a few things added in here and there.  We are fine with no (or little) dairy, no (or little) gluten, and my sugar will be wine.  My husband needs to stay away from sugar anyway, so we will continue to watch it very closely.

Anyway...steak & potato tonight...(always a favorite)

Wow I can't believe only 7 days to go! I've been completely compliant also and have already decided to go on to a Whole60 as I'm looking forward to seeing more benefits of the program.

Also had the Chicken Hash last night and it was fabulous!

Finished Day 4!  Woopee!  I crashed this afternoon and had to go to bed and sleep.  Luckily for me I work out of my home and am semi retired and was able to do that.  I normally only nap during the day 3 or 4 times a year and it is usually because I am ill.  So it was odd, but I just went with it and went to bed and slept an hour.  My headaches are gone now, in fact I think they were gone yesterday and I did not notice. 

M1-3 fried eggs on top of left over roasted potatoes & sautéed kale.  1/2 avocado & a slice of pineapple.

M2  protein salad on a bed of lettuce.

M3  left over brisket (I had to use a chuck roast as I could not find brisket)  with leftover sweet potatoes & carrots.

I have been slowly ordering stuff online that is Whole30 compliant as I live in the middle of nowhere and cannot purchase any of this stuff locally.  My zucchini is almost ready to harvest and so I ordered the Julienne gizmo today too!  Once I commit to something, I am on board 100% as a rule, so I don't think I will derail, however I will have a problematic day on Day 24.  I am scheduled for outpatient surgery to have ovaries & a cyst removed.  Not sure what they are going to give me the recovery room.  Maybe I can have my hubby bring some of my home canned cranberry juice with no sugar added!  Pre-op is in a week and I will ask the doc about the post op stuff.  This may turn out to be a W24, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

In the meantime I am looking forward to this "detox".  I was on a terrible sugar roll the last year or so.  It got really bad, and while I did not gain much more than 8 lbs I felt awful.  I mean, really lousy!  (What a surprise?  Right???  LOL)

Tomorrow I will throw a pork butt into the crock pot in the morning for carnitas tomorrow night.  I am enjoying the process, and have been reading ALOT.  I have a feeling this will be a life changer for me.  I have been struggling with allergies (I have hives on my upper arms if I don't take Allegra daily), and joint inflammation.  I have been suspicious that this is all food related and had no idea where to begin.  I think I have been looking for a "diet" like this for 10 years!  I am hopeful I will move closer to some answers, less medications, & a healthier way of life.

Keep on keepin' on!  You are worth it!

Interesting I found your finished day 4 post on my finished day 4.  I was searching for "allegra". I also have to take it daily or I get hives, mainly on my back. I was wondering if you have experimented with not taking the allegra since you've been on the Whole30 plan. TIA.

Day 25 for me, so close!  

I've started thinking a little more about how I want to do the reintroduction.  I am not too worried about having reactions to certain foods, but I also don't want to rush back into everything.  My husband and I are going on a vacation later in the month to an all-inclusive resort that is supposed to have the most wonderful food (and drinks!) - I fully plan to enjoy these things while on vacation.  Other than that, I am thinking of maybe trying to focus on sticking to the plan somewhat more strictly during the week, and relaxing a little on the weekends since that is when we tend to entertain or go out to eat.  I will admit to mostly doing this in effort to lose weight, and I still have a long way to go...  Has anyone who has done this in the past had continued success after their Whole30?

Day 23 for me - I am officially 'off' the Whole30 next Thursday (the 13th).  In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the feeling of having so much energy.  I wish I could say, though, that my sleep has improved.  It did (ever so briefly), but my seasonal eczema has come back much earlier than it usually does, so I am up with it most nights lately.  I average (according to my Fitbit) about 4 hours a night.  :(  I do want that to improve, but what are you gonna do?  I'll just keep on keeping on.  

Yesterday, because of a business meeting, I had to miss my noon workout.  I will NOT do that again this week!  I rely very heavily on those workouts because 1) it's my social life - we move here not long ago, and that's where I actually 'talk' to people.  I work from home. And 2) the exercise helps relax me for the afternoon of work that is ahead of me.  Plus, 3)  I feel exceedingly guilty if I do NOT work out.  I guess that's a 'good' habit...but it is distressing if I miss it.

Today is a pretty easy meal out of Well Fed - it's Corned Beef wrapped around sauerkraut.  Not sure what to serve with it (salad?), but I'll figure something out.  Also have to plan out the next few days' worth of food and put it on the calendar (and shop for it).

Happy Wednesday all!

Alison - good luck with your surgery today! I hope things go smoothly and your recovery is swift.

I'm betting your grumpiness is in anticipation of the surgery - I'm feeling the same way the last few days and I really don't think it's about the food. Well, except that I would like to eat my anxiety related to the upcoming surgery. :blink:

Thinking of you today!

Betsie

All went well Betsie & I hope the same for you!

Archived