Starting July 13th

Nickiechan

meal 1. left over hamburger, peach

meal 2. salad greens with homemade ranch dressing, hard boiled egg and one left over salmon cake and watermelon

meal 3. new salmon cakes with tartar sauce ( i made my own mayo!), grapes, sweet potato 

I have made the salmon cake recipe twice and it has been a life saver. and my daughter loves it. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What fats are you eating at each meal? I'm not seeing any, except maybe cooking fat and mayo in slaw.

Speaking of slaw, cabbage, broccoli and mushrooms can cause bloat for some. Soda water/carbonated beverages can also contribute to bloating. You may want to drop these items and have exclusively still water only and see if that helps.

I put some avocado on the carnitas, but honestly cooking with oil and the fat that is in the meat (especially the carnitas ) is a lot more than I normally eat.  Your right though, the cole slaw could be a problem.  I will stick to cooking my veggies (skip cabbage for now and hope that helps.  As for the soda, up until this evening I have only had still water.  My water is well water and it has been recently tested by the State, so I know it is perfectly fine.  I purchased some soda to throw fruit into for a little fun, but it is not really my thing.  I don't normally drink carbonated stuff (I'm not a soda pop gal either), but I tried it hoping for relief.

Maybe I will try some leaner meats in the coming days and see if that helps.  No headaches though!  Hurrah!

Hiya everyone,

I hope you're all doing well and starting to get over the horrible detox feelings.

Yesterday's food:

M1: bolognaise, sweet potato and broccoli

M2: pork loin steak, roasted veggies, spiced apple sauce, green mojo sauce & broccoli

M3: baked salmon with Cajun carrot 'fries' and half an avocado with lime.

Last night's dinner was an unplanned meal, but was lovely simply by virtue of the fact that it was something I'd eat pre-whole 30 which felt really comforting.

For those who have complained about the prep, I really do feel your pain. I know it can feel like you're spending every waking minute in the kitchen! For me, I've found that it works best if I take about an hour to plan all my meals and then another 2-3 hours on Saturday evening (or whenever works for you) to prep.

When I plan, my first task is to look through Pinterest, paleo food blogs and my recipe books for which meals I want to make this week. Then I write out a meal plan for the week. I use my meal plan to generate my weekly shopping list. After we've been shopping, I spend up to 3 hours in the kitchen preparing food for the week - it does help to stick a film or a box set on at this point! I imagine that if you have kids this could be really challenging, but honestly, it saves SO much time throughout the week.

Day 4  We opted to avoid antibiotics for now since I have had four rounds since December and we don't want to ruin my gut and cause antibiotic resistance, but that means I have to live with the infection while we sort out what to do (and hopefully I get to see another doc Monday), which means I don't feel well and have some pain - and - TMI alert: yucky infection running into my mouth. UGH!

I know that inflammation will increase, which means pain will increase and I'll feel even worse. I do not want that! It's been a hard fight for the last several months, but holding onto my good eating habits has sustained me through this health trial. It's hard to cook real food when you don't feel good, so I try to keep it simple as possible and I try to get in as many veggies as I can to help with healing. Difficult, but necessary, I know!

Betsie

Wow Betsie, thanks for the wonderful share about sticking to it through the physical stuff.  How wonderful to be able to pause and recognize that eating what might make you feel better emotionally will not help you physically!  Thanks.  I have plenty of physical stuff to wade through with my body these days and I really appreciate that hope!

As for the teeth, I am hoping that the "We" you mentioned is you and the docs.  My hubby had a tooth infection he did not address at one time.  (He was terrified of dentists.)  At any rate, the infection became an abscess which ended up infecting all four quadrants of his mouth.  It very nearly killed him, and while the condition is rare (and the ER did not see it for what it was, adding to the crisis) he ended up having an emergency tracheotomy!  Now I'm quite certain yours will never get that far as you are already under dental care, but golly folks do not mess around with a dental infection.  It very nearly killed the man.  He spent a week in intensive care as a result of ignoring a tooth infection!  and had to have all of his bottom teeth extracted!  God only knows what kind of pain he was in by the time I finally dragged him to the Emergency room! 

Here's to your body being able to heal itself of the toxins.  Thank goodness you can see that sugar and all that other stuff will do more harm than good!  Glad you are here Betsie!  Again, thanks for sharing about this stuff.

Day 6

My how time flies!  So I get up this morning for a beautiful sunrise.  The sky was a very strange golden yellow.  I had to step outside with my camera.  It was chilly and damp up here in the Great White North.  I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  We have a very short summer!    I came back inside to make my morning cup of coffee.  I normally only drink one, and if I go for a second cup it is 1/2 decaf.  I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine.  At any rate, it is the first time I did not automatically go to the fridge to get the 1/2 & 1/2!  LOL  But, what I did want to do was pick up the spoon in the dish on the counter and stir my black coffee!  I have a new ritual now, but apparently I am still a creature of habit and the old coffee habit is still there!  I chuckled to myself.

I could write a whole post on just coffee.  It holds some significance in my life.  OK, here goes.  My parents drank their coffee black.  When I started seriously dating a guy I began to have my coffee like He liked his, strong and with 1/2 & 1/2 added.  My Mom judged me for that!  LOL  (Really, she just didn't like the guy, but it came out as a coffee judgment!)  Good grief, we parents are funny folk.  At any rate, fast forward a few years and the next guy liked strong coffee with sugar, so now I added cream and sugar to my coffee.  (Double judged!)  Ok, I really am going somewhere with this one..............  Do any of you guys remember the movie "Runaway Bride" with Julia Roberts?  I loved that film.  It was sort of me, but I never had the courage to run away!  At any rate the main character played by Roberts ends up eating her eggs however "He" liked his eggs.  She did not know what she wanted out of life, so she would change who she was to fit "Him".  I had an epiphany of sorts while watching that movie many years ago.  That was exactly what I did, only instead of eggs it was coffee.

I love that this "diet" is about our relationship with food.  Sometimes our relationship with food is an extension of our relationship with others and most certainly an extension of our relationship with ourselves.  So, I am glad you are all here learning more about your relationship with yourself.  You are worth it.

I really enjoyed the "tough love" "this is not hard" stuff in the book.  It put this into context for me, and while I cannot recall Melissa's exact words, this is not hard.  Chopping & cooking & cleaning all of those pots & pans is not hard.  Surviving Auschwitz is hard.  Living without clean drinking water is hard.  Watching your loved ones die in a stupid war is hard, fighting cancer is hard...........I could go on and on.

Today is a good day.  Not sure what I'm going to eat, but I have lots of healthy food in the fridge to create something with!  I will be grateful I have a fridge full of food, pots & pans & running water to clean up my messes, and the time to cook!

Sometimes looking at ourselves is hard.  But the journey has always been worth it to me.  So, hang in there Day Sixers!  Ask me how I feel at Day Whatever when I'm ready to bite someone's head off!  LOL

Alison

PS.  Pretty sure Mom is up in heaven smiling at my black up of Joe! :)

Wow Betsie, thanks for the wonderful share about sticking to it through the physical stuff.  How wonderful to be able to pause and recognize that eating what might make you feel better emotionally will not help you physically!  Thanks.  I have plenty of physical stuff to wade through with my body these days and I really appreciate that hope!

As for the teeth, I am hoping that the "We" you mentioned is you and the docs.  My hubby had a tooth infection he did not address at one time.  (He was terrified of dentists.)  At any rate, the infection became an abscess which ended up infecting all four quadrants of his mouth.  It very nearly killed him, and while the condition is rare (and the ER did not see it for what it was, adding to the crisis) he ended up having an emergency tracheotomy!  Now I'm quite certain yours will never get that far as you are already under dental care, but golly folks do not mess around with a dental infection.  It very nearly killed the man.  He spent a week in intensive care as a result of ignoring a tooth infection!  and had to have all of his bottom teeth extracted!  God only knows what kind of pain he was in by the time I finally dragged him to the Emergency room! 

Here's to your body being able to heal itself of the toxins.  Thank goodness you can see that sugar and all that other stuff will do more harm than good!  Glad you are here Betsie!  Again, thanks for sharing about this stuff.

Pickle - thank you so much for your kindness!  :D  What a horrific ordeal you and your husband survived! I'm glad he's ok now! So scary!

You are right that infection in teeth area is not funny! I do have pretty much a team of docs now - oral surgeon, endodontist and likely an ENT starting next week, and they have all advised me on what to do if things get any worse - go to ER! I also have penicillin on hand, if  feel I need to go there. I have seen some scary stuff happen to people with infections - sepsis is very serious and has nearly killed three people I know - so I'm pretty wary of all of this, but for now I'm ok. They say that if the goo that's running into my mouth stops, I should worry because that means it's building up inside and will spread around to other areas. Meanwhile, said goo is making me nauseous and I don't have a lot of appetite so I'm struggling with getting my regular meals in.

I'm completely annoyed by this whole ordeal but I'm doing everything I can to fight the infection naturally and to keep my gut in prime working order so I can heal up as fast as I can so I can get on with my life once we get to the root of the problem! I am glad my little story gave you some hope - this lifestyle really does work and it really helps you regain your health! I have had so many positive outcomes despite dealing with this sinus/tooth problem. Keep up your hard work - it gets easier and it pays off!

Betsie

I love that this "diet" is about our relationship with food.  Sometimes our relationship with food is an extension of our relationship with others and most certainly an extension of our relationship with ourselves.  So, I am glad you are all here learning more about your relationship with yourself.  You are worth it.

I really enjoyed the "tough love" "this is not hard" stuff in the book.  It put this into context for me, and while I cannot recall Melissa's exact words, this is not hard.  Chopping & cooking & cleaning all of those pots & pans is not hard.  Surviving Auschwitz is hard.  Living without clean drinking water is hard.  Watching your loved ones die in a stupid war is hard, fighting cancer is hard...........I could go on and on.

Today is a good day.  Not sure what I'm going to eat, but I have lots of healthy food in the fridge to create something with!  I will be grateful I have a fridge full of food, pots & pans & running water to clean up my messes, and the time to cook!

Sometimes looking at ourselves is hard.  But the journey has always been worth it to me.  So, hang in there Day Sixers!  Ask me how I feel at Day Whatever when I'm ready to bite someone's head off!  LOL

Alison

PS.  Pretty sure Mom is up in heaven smiling at my black up of Joe! :)

Alison - such wise words and such positive perspective you offer today! I love the reminder that cooking and eating real food is really not "hard" when compared to things that are REALLY hard. I have a friend battling breast cancer (she's 37!!), doing weekly chemo rounds for what seems like forever. Yep, way harder than cooking and washing a pot! I have come to adore my food prep time - it's meditative to chop up veggies now. I don't even have a dishwasher and I'm really not that bothered by washing all of my dishes. It did take some time to get used to the new routine after relying on convenience foods for so long, but once you do it awhile, it's normal and you don't notice the extra time. And...you get more efficient and realize that simple is good. Pulling together some grilled meat and some veggies is just as fast as making some Hamburger Helper! You just have to give yourself time to build the new habit and routine and to develop a new bag of tricks for your recipes.

I like to think about the women of the previous generations who did all of their cooking from scratch and had it a lot harder than we do because they didn't have all of our modern conveniences. They had no choice, so they just did it - I try to think that way. No choice, just do it!

I hope everyone has a great weekend - DON'T GIVE UP! This is kinda hard, but it's sooo very worth it! Just eat real food :)

Betsie

Very tough day at the barbeque!

There was very little I could eat. fortunately I brought my own food and stood my ground but it was not easy watching everyone wolf down all of the things. It helped to  know what was in all of the food --so much sugar.

There was not even any fruit there. So I toughed it out and floated around in the pool. 

another thing I did was to put a pork roast in the crock pot with all of the tangy barbeque recipe ingredients added so I knew I could have that when I got home. 

We are home now and not really hungry so I will have that tomorrow. 

non scale related win- my knee which has been quite swollen for over a year is definitley loosing some of the swelling. 

so I count this as a good day even though it was not easy and I am glad to be home in my safe food space. 

Day 6 is in the bag!!!!  M1 was scrambled egg w/ the left over chili, cilantro, diced onion, a touch of potato (for energy, we had a 100 degree day - I was sweating bullets working outside today), and a tablespoon of El Pato,  M2 was a small salad with some ham and homemade ranch from the mayo we made, some cantaloupe and massive amounts of water , and M3 was about 3 ounces of brisket with green beans and a big old dill pickle, and again massive amounts of water.

I am sure we have lost quite a bit of weight, but am holding off weighing until the end.  We are both (wife and I) keeping our energy levels up (I will pop a few cashews between meals if needed) and look forward to the fat burning phase of this plan which should be around the corner according to the email from 30 that we received today.

Until next time, cheerio, and good luck all.

Happy day 7 everyone!  I know I haven't been very active on here that last few days.  I have definitely been sticking to the program.  I have made some amazing meals.  

My husband is doing quite well too, except for him trying to get on the scale yesterday morning!  In his defense, he really didn't know or understand the rules.  I filled him in after that.  LOL!  

I have actually been having a lot of fun experimenting with new recipes.  I have both the Well Fed books plus the Whole 30 recipes in the book.  Also, Pinterest really is a great resource.

I spent the afternoon at a friends house and she made a point of making me a Whole 30 lunch!  How sweet was that!  It really is good to have support.  I have very open and telling people exactly what I am doing and helping them understand the whole concept.  

My mom just bought the book last night too!  Hopefully, she will start soon!  

Here's to a successful day 7! 

Today's food plan!

Meal one: salmon cakes and olives and pickles. and a cup of tea. This meal was light on fat but I will make it up later.

I had seltzer water with blue berries and strawberreis which made me feel very fancy.

Meal's two and three: pulled pork with the recipe for tangy barbeque sauce from the whole30 book. 

I just put it all in the crock pot and then let it cool over night. Today I shredded the pork and then used and immersion blender to blend up all of the juices and other ingredients then I put the meat back in. Nice. will micro wave when it is time to eat. 

I made some cole slaw using sunshine sauce from http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

it came out really good. I added chopped apples to the shredded cole slaw. then added the sause from the reipe and adjusted for taste.

looking forward to week two. 

Today's food plan!

I made some cole slaw using sunshine sauce from http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

it came out really good. I added chopped apples to the shredded cole slaw. then added the sause from the reipe and adjusted for taste.

looking forward to week two.

Oh man, that sounds mighty tasty! I've wanted to make sunshine sauce this week and was toying with pairing it with something different: this would be perfect! Thanks for sharing!

I know I haven't been posting, but I have been eating to plan and it has been a really good week. I had a family gathering to go to this weekend which is always filled with every kind of food and drink temptation, but I volunteered to make a compliant chicken dish and big batch of cole slaw (with homemade mayo and sweetened with grapes) to share. It was a big hit!

I want to share the chicken recipe because it was so yummy, Grilled Chili Lime Chicken with Mango Lime Salsa: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/04/grilled-lime-and-chile-chicken-with.html I substituted coconut aminos for the Worchestershire sauce and used boneless skinless thighs. Highly recommended!!

Bring on week 2!

I have a major confession to make... I need to start over. Saturday we met with some friends who came from out of state. They wanted to go to a Taphouse near our place as they have 100 brews on tap. I told my husband that I was going to drive and I was going to get the salmon and ask for more mixed veggies, well that meal was $27!!! Compared to the other $12 items. We already were paying a lot for parking and other items that evening and I ended up just getting a crab cake sandwich and skipping the bread, but it came with homemade potatoes chips and I did end up tasting some of my husband's beer. That is all I did, but it is enough to make me want to stay true to the plan and start over... 

So here I am... on Day 1 yet again. 

Meal 1: 3 Eggs with Peppers and Banana 

Meal 2: Grilled Chicken, Spinach, Peppers, Carrots, Cherry Tomatos and Cashews

Meal 3: Grilled Lemon Chicken with onions & Peppers and Summer squash. 

I had a very busy weekend, but did a pretty good job sticking to program.  Saturday, we went up to the mountains to do some wedding planning for my brother and went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch.  They really didn't have any compliant salads or anything, so I did the best I could and got fajitas and just ate the meat and veggies.  I ate 2 small bites of guac, but stayed away from everything else.  I was proud of myself.  Yesterday, we went to the Colorado Renaissance Festival.  I packed a lunch to take with some W30 compliant deli turkey, 2 hard boiled eggs, grapes, and took a W30 compliant Larabar in case of emergency, and sure enough I did eat it later in the afternoon, and I really do believe it helped me in staying away from poor choices!  Last night I cooked a steak on the grill.  I sauteed an onion in some olive oil to put on top of the steak.  I had a sweet potato with some ghee, some green beans and watermelon.  I think it was the best dinner I've had all week!  I did have some bloating this weekend, however, and last night had some pretty bad gas pains.  I'm thinking it may have been the onion I had with my steak or the fact that I didn't drink as much water as I should have.  All in all, I think I did pretty good though. 

Today is day 8!

M1: Last of the sweet potato casserole, watermelon

M2: Chicken apple sausage, spinach salad with blueberries, hard boiled egg, strawberries, avocado, and homemade dressing.

M3: I'm not sure yet, but think I'm going to make a taco salad with some lettuce, ground beef, avocado, and W30 compliant salsa, and maybe some asparagus on the side.

I have a major confession to make... I need to start over. Saturday we met with some friends who came from out of state. They wanted to go to a Taphouse near our place as they have 100 brews on tap. I told my husband that I was going to drive and I was going to get the salmon and ask for more mixed veggies, well that meal was $27!!! Compared to the other $12 items. We already were paying a lot for parking and other items that evening and I ended up just getting a crab cake sandwich and skipping the bread, but it came with homemade potatoes chips and I did end up tasting some of my husband's beer. That is all I did, but it is enough to make me want to stay true to the plan and start over... 

So here I am... on Day 1 yet again. 

Meal 1: 3 Eggs with Peppers and Banana 

Meal 2: Grilled Chicken, Spinach, Peppers, Carrots, Cherry Tomatos and Cashews

Meal 3: Grilled Lemon Chicken with onions & Peppers and Summer squash. 

Nikiechan - eating out is always so hard while on W30! Even with best intentions, we can slip up. It doesn't sound like it was a horrendous, eat all the things, have a stomachache for two days kind of a slip, at least. Cheers to another day 1. Good for you for being brave enough to admit and start over.

Betsie

I will admit, I am really having a difficult time with this plan...  on Saturday I knew I would be away from my house all day, so I came up with a plan for lunch and dinner out.  For lunch I brought some hard boiled eggs and my own salad dressing, and got a veggie salad from subway that I could just add to.  The family was going out to dinner, so I picked Chipotle thinking I would be safe... only to find that the pork is not currently available.  Well crap.  I ended up having to go get another salad from the grocery store, it wasn't great because I didn't have the extra protein or dressing.  Not a huge deal, but it's very frustrating to not have any real options when out and about.  My life is just too busy to eat at home every meal!

I have a few events coming up that make me really nervous as well - an all day outdoor concert on Friday, and a all day company picnic next week.  I have no idea what I'm going to do at the concert...  at least with the picnic I could bring my own food.

I'm feeling good and doing good, just getting discouraged with how difficult I am finding this to be with every day life.  I am wondering if aiming for a 90/10 split is just more realistic for me.  

This is my Day 7 (having started on the 14th), and because we avoided ALL social contact this weekend (aside from a quick visit with the neighbors, who offered us a beer, which we refused), we were successful.  I was pretty scared going into the weekend (my first on the program) because I usually sip on a Mimosa while I chat with my sister in Texas on the phone. But I drank Perrier instead.  Not quite the same, but better than plain ole water (which I am getting tired of...but still drinking).  

Still haven't noticed an increased amount of sleep (I average about 4.5 hours a night according to my Fitbit), but I must admit that I am feeling better than I have in quite a while.  Consistent energy, alert mind, gut feels OK.  I know I haven't lost much weight (if any), but I'm OK with that as this appears to be something that, even if I don't follow it to the letter after the 30+ days, I can follow quite closely most times.  The recipes are wonderful!  We had the Chicken Stir-Fry last night (without rice, of course), and we delighted with it.  

Made a BOATLOAD of Perfect Burger patties this weekend (for lunches and tonight's dinner), so all I need for tonight is to make a sauce for the burgers and make some sort of side dish.  Tried the Cauliflower rice, and it was pretty good, so I may do that or just steam some broccoli.  Not sure.  Bought some veggies at the Natural food store, so am set at least for the beginning of the week.  Can't buy too much or it will go bad!

This my end of the 1st week.  Tomorrow starts the next week.  Hope I keep this level of optimism!

Hi all! I am still here...I have been writing papers like crazy trying to finish this summer semester of grad school and it is kicking my behind. Last week and the weekend went great! I have to confess...I took a few tums the others night not thinking and later looked and they have sucralose. I also ate at my in-laws yesterday for lunch and all she had was some deli turkey. I ate a couple of pieces, and they weren't in the package but I am pretty sure they had some kind of sugar in it. And then today...working on another 8 page paper, I grabbed my husband's veggie straws absent-minded and was snacking until I snapped and realized what I was doing! My goodness ya'll. So I guess I really need to start over, but my mind is screaming, JUST KEEP GOING! :) There is sugar in everything ya'll, and this plan is a lot more difficult than I expected. I am going to keep at it because I am already seeing so much change in my body and in my sleep, but quiet honestly I am having a hard time, especially with the stress of school. Keep me motivated! :D

Casey

Hi All - glad to see a good number of folks are still here after week 1! 1/4 complete!

I am happy to report that my infection in my sinus/teeth has not progressed as much as I feared it might by now, which is good because I can't get into the oral surgeon until Wednesday. I'm holding my own and feeling ok and a little better than I did late last week. Because my appetite has been off, I haven't been super good at getting perfectly balanced, well-timed meals in every day, but I've at least stayed compliant despite craving comfort foods. I plan to make some soup in preparation for whatever the oral surgeon does to me Wednesday.

Thought I might share a few recipes in case anyone is getting bored or has run out of ideas. If you haven't stumbled across Nom Nom Paleo's recipes yet, I highly recommend you check them out. She has a whole set of W30 recipes and I have liked every recipe I've tried. Great flavors! Many a great for big batches, too.

Here are her W30 recipes: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes

A few I really, really enjoy and my non-paleo husband approves:

Spicy Tuna Cakes

These are great to have on hand for lunches. I double the recipe to have a bunch for a week's worth of lunches.

Asian Meatballs

I adore making big batches of meatballs to freeze for fast meals. I double or triple most recipes. For this one, I use pork instead of beef, and you can just as easily make it into patties or if you don't have time to shape into patties or balls, just use the meat mixture as fried ground meat that you could serve over greens or whatever you like. Customize with veggies you have on hand - I used roasted acorn squash in place of the sweet potato and subbed carrots for mushrooms last night.

Kalua Pig

Hands down, the best and easiest big batch pork recipe, ever! You can use it for a million different meals and it freezes for future fast meals. We love this recipe and make it often.

Betsie

I will admit, I am really having a difficult time with this plan...  on Saturday I knew I would be away from my house all day, so I came up with a plan for lunch and dinner out.  For lunch I brought some hard boiled eggs and my own salad dressing, and got a veggie salad from subway that I could just add to.  The family was going out to dinner, so I picked Chipotle thinking I would be safe... only to find that the pork is not currently available.  Well crap.  I ended up having to go get another salad from the grocery store, it wasn't great because I didn't have the extra protein or dressing.  Not a huge deal, but it's very frustrating to not have any real options when out and about.  My life is just too busy to eat at home every meal!

I have a few events coming up that make me really nervous as well - an all day outdoor concert on Friday, and a all day company picnic next week.  I have no idea what I'm going to do at the concert...  at least with the picnic I could bring my own food.

I'm feeling good and doing good, just getting discouraged with how difficult I am finding this to be with every day life.  I am wondering if aiming for a 90/10 split is just more realistic for me.  

Kmeredith82:

Have you looked through this thread on travel and eating out? I think there are lots of good ideas there. For the concert, do you have to eat there or could you eat beforehand or at someplace on the way?

While I don't have many chains like Chipotle in my remote area, I do eat out doing regular Paleo a lot and I find that I can do pretty well if I stick to grilled meat or seafood, and veggies and/or salads. Most places have big salads with the option to add chicken or shrimp, etc. I often order the chicken sandwich without bun or burger without bun, etc. Then I get lots of toppings like avocado, green chiles, etc. to up the tasty factor.

Note that it does get easier and I hope you can stick it out doing the 100% plan for 30 days, knowing you and ease up afterwards. You'll love how you feel when it's over and you're 1/4 of the way there now!

Betsie

hey hey hey day 8 coming to an end . 

meal one: ommlette with kale and tomato. avocado on the side.fruit in mt seltzer peach and some blue berries

meal two: left over pulled pork an slaw from last night.

meal three: steak, cauliflower rice --i have made this yet but it looks good.

next few days are going to be crazy as daughter is going to be here with family while her bathroom is redone. wish me luck.

Day 7 done (since I started on the 14th), and it started out just great!  I felt good, alert, on top of things!  During my workout I felt strong and confident!  I even felt optimistic!  Until...

My co-worker went on a rant (and I had to try to calm her down) and my husband came home to report that the expensive camera I had just bought him had to be sent off to Nikon, and he didn't know where the warranty card was, and no one would answer his email, and, and, and...  I blew up!  And I NEVER blow up!  I cussed, slammed the pantry door, ranted, raved, and had NO respite (i.e., a glass of wine to calm me down)...so I just had to cool off on my own with an ice-cold glass of water.  Maybe it was leftover 'kill all the things'?  Anyway, I'm better now, and I didn't break down and eat/drink what I shouldn't...so I'll call it a victory.  But I don't know who that woman was!

Betsie-

Thank you for comments and the link, that had some helpful information.  

I think one of thing things that makes eating out so difficult for me is that the biggest / best recommendation is the call ahead, or be very specific with how things are cooked, and that's just not me.  I'm not one to be picky or make a fuss about anything, so it just really goes against my nature to make a big deal about my order while at a restaurant.  If the oil issue wasn't an issue, that would go a long way!

I think it's also a struggle to just be so focused on food and meal prep and planning.  I am trying to push through, but am also trying not to be completely unreasonable with this either.  On the plus side, I've made some really great recipes and haven't missed some of the off limit foods as much as I would have thought.  It's day 10 for me.

today's menu...

- hard boiled egg with leftover chicken and zucchini nuggets, and a few cashews/almonds

- big tuna nicoise salad and a cup of mixed berries

- greek meatballs and greek salad

Archived