Hi there,

I know dates are on the approved foods list for the Whole 30. I wanted to check on this as they are pretty sweet tasting. You also get dates rolled in coconut flakes (unsweetened, organic) at Whole Foods. What are your thoughts on these? I know it is no cupcake or cookie but I do feel like I am "indulging" when I grab one. I started the Whole 30 on August 27. My husband a few days earlier on August 23 :)

Thank you,

N.

Dates are also decadently delicious with a blob of coconut butter. I just scoop mine right out of the jar with a date. Mmm. I don't have a very big sugar dragon (my weaknesses are wine and bread), so I'm fine with just one, but I could see how they might trigger some cravings. I think dates are a fine W30 "treat" if you don't make it a super regular habit. Just be sure to read the ingredients to be sure there's no sugar.

I did a search a while back and Robin called them "sugar bombs". I really stay away from all dried fruits because I don't see the benefit except they are an easy thing to grab. Any time you dry fruit, it shrinks and so the sugar itself is concentrated. It's the flavor of all that concentrated sugar that bugs me. I feel like I am eating a sugar cane.

Archived