Rice bloat

So I am post-Whole30 but still compliant most of the time (I occasionally have very dark chocolate--the 90% cocoa kind).

So tonight I decided to try to reintroduce white rice as a treat with some sushi. I took a long time examining the menu and decided on 2 rolls: a Tekka maki with tuna, rice and nori and a roll with tobiko, avocado, rice, nori and salmon. Neither had any kind of sauce and I brought my own coconut a minos.

Now an hour after eating I feel so bloated. I'm assuming it must be the rice since that's the only new ingredient to my system?

Is it common for rice to cause bloating? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

How many pieces did you have of those two rolls? (did you share them or eat them on their own?)

I ask because sushi rolls can be deceiving and not really give you a true idea of how much rice you are eating. It could have just been a very large portion on top of something you have not had for a while.

My experience is that when I introduce a large amount of carbs, I bloat with water because I am not used to them. Is that what you mean by bloat? Also, did the sushi contain a lot of sodium for some reason? Sounds like you stayed away from soy sauce, so not sure where else the sodium would be. It's very possible that you just aren't used to it.

I ate about 1 1/2 rolls total. Perhaps it was a large amount but it didn't seem like too much. I don't think there was any added sodium as there was no sauce that the rolls came with (and I added just a little bit of coconut aminos).

I think my take-away is that my body likes clean eating and on the rare occasion when I deviate from the clean eating I may have some discomfort to deal with.

I think my take-away is that my body likes clean eating and on the rare occasion when I deviate from the clean eating I may have some discomfort to deal with.

YUP! The first time I did a Whole30, I noticed the lack of any bloating right away.

Archived