Day 1 - July 12th :)

Teachkk

Totally off topic, but can I ask everyone to send out some positive energy to my Mom at 6:00 pm EST?  Going for tests today to see how they will tackle this thoracic aortic aneurysm - through a scope, or open heart.  Ugh :(  All the positive energy and prayers can only help :)  Thanks!

This is a motivator to keep with this, my friends!  Mom has eaten unhealthy most of her life and has suffered since 60 with heart problems and now this.  Let's change this common pattern in many people/families through our actions, and hopefully impact the people around us, too.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We thank you for not sharing the amount of your weight loss so far until after you complete your Whole30. 

So I chose not to share whether I lost weight or gained weight because I know everyone else's Whole 30 is going to be different and I didn't want to set a standard for this thread. I only wanted to share what happened because I had a good doctor's appointment for the most part and I wanted to be truthful in the ups and downs of my Whole 90....which is really turning into a Whole I'll Finish When I Finish haha.

Nedelkma - I threw it out a few months ago after continuing to step on it and see it not move or go up. I'm convinced it was crappy and broken but I've been so much better not trying to step on something. The scale doesn't define my worth and I really want to get to the point where I'm just happy and confident being myself. I enjoy fitness and I want the foods I eat to fuel my lifting and I want to see my body composition change and I wanna be healthy, but the number on the scale doesn't tell me any of that so I don't need it. We dont need it.

Teacherkk - thank you! I definitely agree. I think that if this were my first Whole 30 I'd be starting over because then I did have a very negative relationship with the scale, but because I don't actually own one now, I don't feel the need to start over when I did everything I could to not find out the number.

My momma is coming into town today! Traditionally, I've gotten really anxious around food with her. But there are no "bad" foods in my house. Everything is compliant and I plan on bringing a cooler of things I can eat every day we go do things just in case the family decides to do just sandwiches or something simple. Usually we do big family lunches, breakfasts and dinners, not every day but maybe something twice a day - which is annoying - but I want to make sure I have compliant things on hand so I can stay on track but still enjoy my family. I have no problem eating carrots and sardines and an avocado on the way to a restaurant and sitting there drinking a few club sodas with lime and enjoying my family. Luckily, my mother is obsessed with this breakfast place that doesn't use seed oil, everything is in season, the menu changes nearly every weekend and the ingredients are so fresh, so I'm hoping she wants to go there at least once. Let me just describe the best thing there - Queen Omelet - asparagus, sugar free bacon, and lobster....

Totally off topic, but can I ask everyone to send out some positive energy to my Mom at 6:00 pm EST?  Going for tests today to see how they will tackle this thoracic aortic aneurysm - through a scope, or open heart.  Ugh :(  All the positive energy and prayers can only help :)  Thanks!

This is a motivator to keep with this, my friends!  Mom has eaten unhealthy most of her life and has suffered since 60 with heart problems and now this.  Let's change this common pattern in many people/families through our actions, and hopefully impact the people around us, too.

Absolutely! Sending your mama positive vibes all day. Hope she is able to get whatever treatment is the best for her and that it will be done safely and quickly! :)  :wub:

I hope her tests told you and her what you wanted to hear!

I would love to have more 'sause' recipes. So far I've tried the Moroccan dipping sause, pesto, curry sause and the barbacue sause. This weekend I'll try a couple more out of the whole30 but if anyone has more resources for sauces, please send along. It's what's going to keep me on the plan after the 30 days. I believe this to be a great way to eat and I'm hoping not to stray too far away from these basics and the sause sure make it all the more inviting to continue on.

• Moderators

I would love to have more 'sause' recipes. So far I've tried the Moroccan dipping sause, pesto, curry sause and the barbacue sause. This weekend I'll try a couple more out of the whole30 but if anyone has more resources for sauces, please send along. It's what's going to keep me on the plan after the 30 days. I believe this to be a great way to eat and I'm hoping not to stray too far away from these basics and the sause sure make it all the more inviting to continue on.

The Clothes Makes The Girl has a bunch, scroll down that list to the Sauces & Seasonings part. Nom Nom Paleo has a few -- look under the Building Blocks section of the list. There's some here, and here. You can also google Whole30 sauces, or if there's a particular kind of sauce you'd like to make Whole30 compliant, google Whole30 plus that sauce, someone out there is bound to have made one.

Thanks for the positive vibes :). She went for an MRI and angiogram and finds out their course of action Monday. I was worried they might send her straight to a hospital if it was worse than they thought, but she is home. Yay for small victories!

I had such a fun night! All 3 of my kids were home for dinner and I made 'the best chicken' from The Clothes Make the Girl, with garlic Brussels sprouts, carrots and baked red potatoes. The Morrocan sauce for the chicken was awesome, as was the rub. I'm not sure soaking it in the brine made a difference, but it was delish. I will definitely make that again!

I hope everyone had a good day!

That's fantastic Teacherkk! I'm glad she is going to be able to get some answers. That recipe sounds great. I may have to make it when I go home for my parents!

I went out to dinner last night with my friends and I stipulated that I needed a place with steak and a baked potato, so we ended up at a place called Texas Roadhouse. It's a little difficult to watch people eat bread but I think it's more that smell of yeast that makes me miss it. I am definitely allergic to gluten and gluten free bread isn't worth it. So unless it's homemade bread I baked myself with grains i milled myself, lol it's not worth it. My friends ordered things like country fried steak, pulled pork, loaded baked potatoes, etc. I think I made them feel bad cause a couple of them only ate small amounts and brought it home going yeah I don't eat much. I had no intention of doing that so I felt a bit bad. I ordered a plain grilled steak, a plain baked potato, and steamed broccoli and carrots. I think the thing I'm learning with this Whole 30 - something that blows my mind - is how many restaurants have fries and mashed potatoes but don't have baked potatoes. It just shows they aren't making these things in house. It comes in a bag and they serve it. That's why places like UNOs and Fridays and even Joes have such salty food. It's all packaged and they throw it together. It's gross my food was good. There was no fat to be seen except for what's naturally in a steak. It was fine. At one point I asked the waitress if she had olive oil. She said no. How do you not have olive oil? The manager came by and I asked for salt and vinegar dressing thinking the waitress just didn't want to get the olive oil. The manager brought me two small cups of oil and vinegar. Canola and sesame oil mixed and rice vinegar. I was like that's disgusting. People put canola oil on their salads. What are you people doing? Needless to say I didn't eat it and just stuck to plain plain plain and I felt fine after. I wasn't overly full our nauseous. I felt good.

My mom is here for the weekend. We've already had a "I don't like your legs this big they look too muscular" (as she smacked them) and a "what do you mean you sautéed the Brussel sprouts in lard...that's not too much fat?" Moments. I'm breathing through them and trusting in myself but sometimes it'd be nice to just get her to listen and not tell me whatever I'm doing is wrong. She's neve happy with my "diet" or exercise. I haven't lifted in a month but these legs are big cause I can put 170 pounds on my back and squat to the ground and come right back up. I'm strong. I'm never going to have a body like my sister. I'm going to have a body like me and that's something she's going to have to come to terms with right along with me.

You go girl...YOU are your best advocate right now and know what's good for you. I'm sure her heart is in the right place - it's hard to see your kids fighting any battle :(. Enjoy your time with her :)

I'm sleepy today - had a late coffee yesterday and tossed and turned. Curled up on my sectional right now with one of my dogs sleeping half on me - no complaints...he's pretty warm and cozy. We are heading out for dinner to one of our 'go to' places. It's a pretty little Italian place that always has a fish special - perfect for me right now!

Have a fun Friday night all!

You go girl...YOU are your best advocate right now and know what's good for you. I'm sure her heart is in the right place - it's hard to see your kids fighting any battle :(. Enjoy your time with her :)

I'm sleepy today - had a late coffee yesterday and tossed and turned. Curled up on my sectional right now with one of my dogs sleeping half on me - no complaints...he's pretty warm and cozy. We are heading out for dinner to one of our 'go to' places. It's a pretty little Italian place that always has a fish special - perfect for me right now!

Have a fun Friday night all!

Thank you! It's been a trying day but I'm getting through it. Hopefully with a smile on my face.

That sounds like a nice dinner!! We went to a Cuban restaurant and they cooked with lard. Mmmmmm happiest place on earth. Not even hard to watch them drink.

I felt really good today considering everything I got thrown emotionally. Day 19 rocked!

Oh, Alexasaurus, I wish you strength with your mom.  They really do know how to push buttons, don't they?

Teachkk - I'm so glad your mom got to come home and I hope Monday brings the news you all want!

I had a pretty lousy Whole30 day.  I didn't have organized meals - work was horribly chaotic with several emergencies, so it meant snacking and picking at my planned meal.  I ended up snacking on Macadamia nuts and a few cashews throughout the day (in addition to a decent breakfast and dinner) and ended up with horrible bloating and heartburn.  I ended up having to take a Tums - I decided that it fell under the "medicine" category, because boy did I need it! Only helped a little.

I drove for 4 hours out of town with my daughter, who has a gymnastics meet tomorrow.  The other moms want to go to this 'fabulous' pizza place, and I think I'm going to have to politely decline.  This sucks for my daughter, because she will really want to go, but I know that I don't have the willpower right now.  After today, I felt like chucking the whole thing, but that stemmed largely from not being able to focus on the plan and the positives in the midst of so much awful at work.

I brought potatoes, sweet potatoes, hard boiled eggs, and fruit. No good greens with me.  I have a microwave in the hotel room, so maybe I'll find a grocery store and at least buy a container of salad greens.

Hope you all have a good night, and I hope I have a better tomorrow.

Thanks, nedelkma! She actually got a call last night with some results, but is still going with my s-i-l on Monday who is a Dr, so can help. Looks like the aneurysm is not as bad as they thought, but she will need surgery to fix a hiatal hernia that has pushed her stomach into her chest cavity, hence the shortness of breath...the human body is amazing!

I had a hard day yesterday too...felt hungry all day. I ended up having 4 smaller meals to satiate my appetite. Stuck with my Whole30 foods though :). I hope you managed okay, nedelkma - it's so hard when you get busy and have nothing prepared. I always make extra meat - when I'm making dinner and at least once a week I buy a small, cheaper cut of roast and throw it in the slow cooker. I have 2 very active and health conscious boys that are 19 and 21...I literally have to label my tupperwares 'Mom's - eat and you may die' ;). They think it's funny...I'm kind of serious lol.

I hope today is a great day for everyone! Alexa, hope you are surviving your Mom!

kk

Had a much better day yesterday! Actually didn't feel hungry, so ended up having bone broth for dinner. Does anyone else feel like they're bloated? My energy level is good, but not feeling physically great. Just curious.

Had a much better day yesterday! Actually didn't feel hungry, so ended up having bone broth for dinner. Does anyone else feel like they're bloated? My energy level is good, but not feeling physically great. Just curious.

There are a variety of items that can cause bloat: nuts/nut butters, raw veggies, cruciferous veggies, and carbonated water are a few that come to mind.  

If you like, post 2-3 days worth of your food log, including portion sizes and daily water consumption in the Troubleshooting section.  That will give us the detail to furnish feedback on possible tweaks.

I am feeling bloated most of the time now, and I'm having heartburn frequently. 

After reading GFChris' reply, I suspect I'm right in blaming the nuts I've been eating.  I'll be home from my trip tomorrow, so I can eat more sanely then.

My energy level is ok, but I am also not feeling great. 

For me, I think I need to go back to bigger portions of the raw stuff and smaller portions of the cooked stuff & nuts.

The finish line is in sight, but I'm afraid of how many times a day I think "I can't wait to have a slice of pizza!"  This doesn't bode well for me after whole30, so I think I need to do more :(

I agree - I'm thinking it's nuts and sparkling water - thanks GFChris!  I'm pretty good with my food, and very careful, so know that nothing else has been introduced through food.  I did wonder about my new purchase of fish oil though.  I was at Nature's Emporium (local market) last week and decided to pick some up.  I had my contacts on and have trouble reading very small print when I do (God, getting old sucks...I'm 46).  I asked the rep in the supplement area for the OmegaMaine, but they didn't sell it there.  I then let her know I wanted one with NO additives - she recommended NutraSea Omega-3, as it had as close as I could get to a 1:1 ratio, and she clearly stated it had nothing added.  I took it for about 3 days, and now that I think about it, this is about when I began to feel bloated.  I checked the ingredients last night and it has 'flavouring tocopherols, derived from non-GMO soy"...ugh!!!

Could anyone moderating let me know if I need to start again?  I had planned on going beyond 30 days, so won't be heart broken...just a little peeved that I checked and have been so careful :(

I agree - I'm thinking it's nuts and sparkling water - thanks GFChris!  I'm pretty good with my food, and very careful, so know that nothing else has been introduced through food.  I did wonder about my new purchase of fish oil though.  I was at Nature's Emporium (local market) last week and decided to pick some up.  I had my contacts on and have trouble reading very small print when I do (God, getting old sucks...I'm 46).  I asked the rep in the supplement area for the OmegaMaine, but they didn't sell it there.  I then let her know I wanted one with NO additives - she recommended NutraSea Omega-3, as it had as close as I could get to a 1:1 ratio, and she clearly stated it had nothing added.  I took it for about 3 days, and now that I think about it, this is about when I began to feel bloated.  I checked the ingredients last night and it has 'flavouring tocopherols, derived from non-GMO soy"...ugh!!!

Could anyone moderating let me know if I need to start again?  I had planned on going beyond 30 days, so won't be heart broken...just a little peeved that I checked and have been so careful :(

Read this article and decide, especially taking into account that you started feeling bloated after you began taking this supplement. 

I survived the visit! Just dropped my mother off at the airport and we ended up having a great time together that culminated in a purchase of a smaller pair of jeans! Hallelujah! Lol. We ate out a lot and I started to get bogged down making sure I was eating compliant, but I did it. We went to breakfast yesterday and I got potatoes with my food and felt exhausted all day. So exhausted that this morning when we went for breakfast I opted for broccoli. I eat a different type of potato every day but have been doing them at meal three and I think it works well for me. I don't spend the whole day wanting more starchy carbs if I save it for dinner. And I just feel better.

My goal this week is to eat all the food in my house because I don't want to purchase more next week before I leave for vacation. We went out to eat last night in Boston with my sister and her boyfriend. No one thinks, okay does this place have something alex will eat? And it's not their responsibility to either. I checked the restaurant ahead of time and when we got there the menu was different. It took a lot to portion the template together. We had lots of oysters and fresh seafood. So good. I got my own plate of halibut just in case and some asparagus. I was light on fat and hungry when I got home but I had some avocado and felt great.

The one thing I've seen really change over the last 22 days is my sleep. I am the princess and the pea. Like for real. I have a comfortable blow up bed for when my mother comes but I'm a princess and can never sleep. I slept so well this weekend! Even on the blowup. I was able to just turn my brain off for eight hours and get up easily and be awake. That's a huge improvement for me who has been an insomniac since birth.

Boo! Teacherkk that's not fun or fair! Let us know what you decide to do!

That is awesome, Alex! Both the great time with your Mom and the jeans ;)

I'm just going to keep going...it was 3 teaspoons over 3 days and since it was only the flavoring in the oil, how much did I really ingest? I messaged my nutritionist, and she said fish oil can muck up your digestive system at first, so to not even worry about the bloating. I don't plan on stopping at Day 30, and don't want to feel defeated, so will plug along.

My hubby and I went for a long walk on the beaches today - such a gorgeous day here. I've spent the last couple of hours making a few dishes to have on hand and even made almond milk...so easy!

post-74321-0-24362000-1438636514_thumb.j

post-74321-0-68295700-1438636531_thumb.j

Teacherkk almond milk is my favorite thing to make but I never have time! Looks so good! I'm glad you decided to keep pushing. If that had happened to me and I started back at day 1 I'd be wholly disheartened and probably jump ship.

Happy day 23! for me haha and Happy day 24 to the rest of you! I think that doing a Whole 90 has really made the time fly so much faster. I have more room to try different things and still eat simply and the days are flying by.

So yesterday my mom and I were walking around the mall and my heels were killing me. It was so hard to walk around and stand on them and that's happened before in crappy flip flops, but not when doing a whole 30. I usually have no foot pain. And the pain I had before the 23 days was much worse, but its gone. Now I have new pain. But I have a long way to go so I'm not saying its the Whole 30s fault lol...andyways, we were walking and I complained and I got about two feet in front of my mother and she was telling me to turn my foot in when I walked and then gasped and went Oh MY GOD, you have psoriasis. And I was like no I dont I just haven't had a pedicure in a while. She made me sit in the mall hallway while she inspected the cracked skin on the back on my foot. She pressed on it and sure enough that's what hurt. She is a dermatologist and runs a few studies on biologics for psoriasis so she is going to biopsy the skin next week when I go home and then if it comes back positive she's going to start me on a biologic. Which sucks. I just feel like I can never get an autoimmune break. I'm going to finish these 90 days and then probably try doing a strict AIP for 30 days and then reintroduce things. I already stay away from tomatoes and most nightshades except for the ones in spices. The biggest thing I eat is eggs - like 3 a day. It would suck to not be able to have those but that would mean more breakfast sausages which is fine, just more planning. As much as this sucks, it just means that sticking to these Whole 30 guidelines has become more and more important for me. I will probably be on an anti inflammatory diet my entire life, but if it tastes like Whole 30 that's fine. I'm in this for the long haul! But if it means healing myself enough that the occasional ice cream or sugar wont kill me or destroy me, then sign me up.

You guys are so inspiring!
I'm flip-flopping between stopping at 30 and doing a slow reintroduction vs continuing.  I haven't eaten anything non-compliant other than an accidental bite of "balsamic" vinegar on a salad that was clearly malt vinegar, but I haven't been eating the beautiful veggie-filled plates of food at meals that I probably should.  Problem is that I don't like many veggies - and I'm a vegetarian!  I've been adding eggs for protein, but my veggies consist of carrots, lettuces/leafy greens, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, and white potatoes, plus an occasional green bean & tomato (I know, fruit, but they are so veggie-like!). I despise broccoli and cauliflower, and it is clear that I'm not going to be able to change this - I've tried.

I think this is what has left me wanting to run to the nearest veggie pizza place and down a slice.  If I quit after 30, I worry that I'll go for something I shouldn't.  On the other hand, if I quit after 30 and reintroduce beans, I could probably go on a whole30+ beans for a very, very long time (provided I feel fine with beans in reintroduction.)
Not sure what I'll do.
How do you make almond milk? That's so cool! I never would've thought of that.

You guys are so inspiring!

I'm flip-flopping between stopping at 30 and doing a slow reintroduction vs continuing.  I haven't eaten anything non-compliant other than an accidental bite of "balsamic" vinegar on a salad that was clearly malt vinegar, but I haven't been eating the beautiful veggie-filled plates of food at meals that I probably should.  Problem is that I don't like many veggies - and I'm a vegetarian!  I've been adding eggs for protein, but my veggies consist of carrots, lettuces/leafy greens, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, and white potatoes, plus an occasional green bean & tomato (I know, fruit, but they are so veggie-like!). I despise broccoli and cauliflower, and it is clear that I'm not going to be able to change this - I've tried.

I think this is what has left me wanting to run to the nearest veggie pizza place and down a slice.  If I quit after 30, I worry that I'll go for something I shouldn't.  On the other hand, if I quit after 30 and reintroduce beans, I could probably go on a whole30+ beans for a very, very long time (provided I feel fine with beans in reintroduction.)

Not sure what I'll do.

How do you make almond milk? That's so cool! I never would've thought of that.

Can I ask you a personal question that you totally do not need answer and just tell me to go pound sand - why are you a vegetarian? Are there other things you can eat besides eggs for protein? I saw a blog post about how to do this vegetarian and vegan, if I find it again I'll post it here if you haven't read it.

Almond milk is super simple. You soak raw almonds in water over night and then blend, run it through a strainer a few times to get the bits out that wouldn't blend and wallah!

I find that roasting the veggies in ghee makes a huge difference in how I like them. And you never know, your preferred veggie choices may have changed! I used to hate broccoli and cauli flower and now love them.

Alex - you've got a lot to deal with, but you are doing it so well!!  Woohoo :)  Getting a handle on things and understanding them is half the battle.

Alex is right, almond milk is so easy!  I use cheesecloth to strain it - it allows you to squeeze out every drop of milk.  Health food stores also sell a mesh baggie that is for making nut milk and it is machine washable.  It literally takes a total of 5 minutes to make!

I went out for lunch today (sushi - and a sashimi salad is Whole30 compliant without the dressing ;) with a great friend.  Just took my dogs for a hour long walk and am now just thinking what to make for dinner.  Tomorrow, my husband has meetings in Niagara, so I'm tagging along for 2 days.  I can hang out in the hotel, go for walks, etc., while he is working and we can have a nice dinner tomorrow night.

Nedelkma - I'm deciding what to do also.  I think I am going to extend the 30 days for a while until I'm confident that I've got  everything down pat and then will decide how I'm going to reintroduce.  I'm also probably about 20 pounds away from where I want to be - estimating, of course, but given the way my clothing is fitting, I think I'm probably about right.  

So glad we have done this together, girls!  Have a great night!!

Archived