Day 1 - July 12th :)

Teachkk

Can I ask you a personal question that you totally do not need answer and just tell me to go pound sand - why are you a vegetarian? Are there other things you can eat besides eggs for protein? I saw a blog post about how to do this vegetarian and vegan, if I find it again I'll post it here if you haven't read it.

when I was 11, the PE teacher assigned to teach us the "life cycle" portion of health/sex ed decided that sex didn't belong in the schools, so she showed us this video (I think it was like an old 60 minutes or 20/20 type thing) about the 'life cycle' as it applied to food.  There were these ladies sorting chicks on a conveyor belt, demonstrations of beef being made, etc - I'll spare you the details, but at 11 and raised in suburbia, this was quite traumatizing. I'm fairly certain one of the goals was to convert people to vegetarianism or 'humane' meat.  5 of the girls in my class became vegetarians, and 10 furious parents demanded her removal.  She resigned, and 4 of the 5 of us remained vegetarians.  Just the worst time possible in my life to have had me watch such a thing.  Now, I can't force myself to consider eating meat, although I have no trouble feeding my kids meat.  It's a personal decision and I would never want my kids to feel the horrible guilt that I felt at 11.  I don't cook much meat, they mostly get it at restaurants or in something I buy that was prepped elsewhere.

Thanks for the almond milk recipe, I'll try it -- and the veggies in ghee!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when I was 11, the PE teacher assigned to teach us the "life cycle" portion of health/sex ed decided that sex didn't belong in the schools, so she showed us this video (I think it was like an old 60 minutes or 20/20 type thing) about the 'life cycle' as it applied to food.  There were these ladies sorting chicks on a conveyor belt, demonstrations of beef being made, etc - I'll spare you the details, but at 11 and raised in suburbia, this was quite traumatizing. I'm fairly certain one of the goals was to convert people to vegetarianism or 'humane' meat.  5 of the girls in my class became vegetarians, and 10 furious parents demanded her removal.  She resigned, and 4 of the 5 of us remained vegetarians.  Just the worst time possible in my life to have had me watch such a thing.  Now, I can't force myself to consider eating meat, although I have no trouble feeding my kids meat.  It's a personal decision and I would never want my kids to feel the horrible guilt that I felt at 11.  I don't cook much meat, they mostly get it at restaurants or in something I buy that was prepped elsewhere.

Thanks for the almond milk recipe, I'll try it -- and the veggies in ghee!

Omg that sounds horrific! I can't even imagine being introduced to the circle of life at that age. I was, but my family has a farm so it was a much gentler realization. I was around animals a lot and listened to my mom's stories of how they would raise the pigs and then use them. I also was kosher until I was 14 and learned a lot about how animals become kosher and knew it was a very gentle and loving process. But the animal food industry in America is atrocious. That's why I went vegan the first time, but my body couldn't sustain it and I learned how to find animal products that were appropriated in a gentle, loving, humane way. Thank you for letting me pry!

Veggies in ghee is awesome. I ordered Tin Star Brown Butter Ghee. Takes three weeks to get, but it tastes like buttered popcorn. Its INCREDIBLE.

Teacherkk I'm glad you're going to have a little vacation with your husband! That sounds like a blast.

Blech last night I made over ripe plantains and they tasted like alcohol. I ate half and then spit the last one out cause I was like I'm eating fermented fruit. So that was almost falling off the bandwagon 1. Then I found these freeze dried jackfruit strips I bought at trader joes. Each fruit I picked up was just the fruit. I had a jackfruit strip in my mouth, hadn't swallowed, and realized this bag had jackfruit and rice bran oil. I spit it down the sink, and didnt swallow until after I'd brushed my teeth. Lol almost falling off the bandwagon 2. I found this bottle of mayo at whole foods months ago and bought it thinking it was compliant. It had no soy bean oil. I haven't had it at all on this 24 day stretch, but last night I was like mmm that'd taste good on this burger. It doesnt have soy bean oil, but it has modified food starch and about a dozen other stabilizers. Lol and its called "Just Mayo." Surrrrrre.

All I wanted yesterday was a brownie. I miss chocolate. I take that back. I dont know if I really miss chocolate. I miss the comfort it gave me. Which is so dumb cause that comfort shouldn't be coming from food. I should enjoy my food but I shouldn't feel like it is going to build me up or tear me down. Idk if that makes sense.

I'm so excited cause its the last day of my internship! And Monday is my day 29 but itll become my "Kosher Whole 19" lol. Let's see if I survive.

Alex, I find myself just wanting food for comfort all the time.  I think what I really want is to have the ability to eat whatever the heck I want whenever the heck I want, without consequences.  Welcome to my kindergarten mind!

What kind of internship are you doing? Hopefully some stress will be lifted from you now that it's done?

Yay!  Compliant dinner WIN! (and by win, I don't mean I loved it - I know I'm desperate by now.  I mean my uber picky 9 yo daughter asked for seconds!!!!)

I live in the Texas Hill Country, with too many peaches, pecans, and rosemary bushes to handle.  I wanted to use some up, so I concocted a sauce.  Mine went over sautéed carrots, peppers, and zucchini noodles in ghee (thanks, Alex) tossed with scrambled eggs.  My family's sauce was served over grilled chicken breasts.
In ghee, I sautéed sliced onion and chopped garlic. I threw in a sliced, seeded jalepeno and sliced peeled peaches.  I sautéed these a bit, then I added a can of coconut milk, salt/pepper, rosemary, and a little mustard powder.  I boiled/simmered it until it had thickened some (probably would've been better with some almond flour to thicken, but I had none) and at the end, I added some toasted pecans.  I poured it over my mixture then cooked the grilled chicken breasts in the sauce a little, and it was really delicious!!!

Alex, I find myself just wanting food for comfort all the time.  I think what I really want is to have the ability to eat whatever the heck I want whenever the heck I want, without consequences.  Welcome to my kindergarten mind!

What kind of internship are you doing? Hopefully some stress will be lifted from you now that it's done?

I go through stages of that feeling where I just want to be able to control how much I'm eating and what I'm eating...and then I realized that I am. lol. This is the ultimate control over my food and I'm just not including junk that makes me feel awful after I eat it. We just got to keep going! 

I just finished my first legal internship under a Chief Justice in Boston. So much research but it was awesome. The staff lawyer who oversaw me gave me a bag of notecards with my initials and some notepads. She said they usually take out the judicial interns for lunch but didn't want to take me somewhere I couldn't eat something (the office just thinks I'm gluten free - but not like the legal research director who's gluten free but eats the breads and licks frosting off cake haha) and I was so appreciative of that. I could not imagine having to explain things to a waiter in front of them. Or them taking me to panera and being like yeah I can't eat anything here. But I liked my goodies! I bought the office a bunch of chocolate lol. They have these small bowls of dove chocolate at the front of the office and eat it all day long. So I went out and got them a bunch of different kinds and poured them into a bigger bowl and stuck a thank you card in it and it ended up being a big hit! And thank gd it was the last day cause I got these two skirts at the beginning of the summer. They were a 22W. I never thought I'd be in that size and I'm only 5'2". They were a little big and that was fine cause I really like that look of a highwaisted skirt with the blouse tucked in. They fit the same till the first week of this Whole 90 and they started to get looser. This week I wore them just above my belly button (instead of higher than my natural waist) and they were threatening to fall off. I kept having to retuck my blouse cause I was afraid people could see down the top of the skirt that was jutting out. Time to get these bad boys hemmed and taken in at least two sizes!

I got to meet up with my younger sister during my lunch break. She just moved to Boston and we never really got to hang out as adults who like each other (we fought a lot as kids - especially cause she's 5'6" and may 105 pounds soaking wet but we like each other a lot now). We walked around for forty five minutes in the sun. It was so nice! I think these Vitamin D meds are really helping my outlook on life. 

Mmmm. Nedelkma that sounds so good! It sounds a little like a curry! 

I had a food nightmare last night. Second time during this whole thing. I dreamt I was downing a bag of cheese puff chip things. I was eating a couple of pork clouds with my dinner and I realized that now that I like them they could become a food with no breaks so I put them away. The thing I was eating in my dream was like a cheese version of the pork cloud but tasted like a Dorito. I told myself in the dream wake up this isn't real. lol I woke up and thanked gd it was a dream. I do not want to start over. Nothing is going to throw me off this now. 

The food in my house is dwindling. I am officially down to 1 bag of frozen cauliflower and 1 bag of potatoes and green beans. I have plenty of frozen meat but I need more eggs, etc. But only enough for Friday - Sunday. I'm bringing soft boiled eggs on the plane Monday morning and I think some asparagus cause I really like it cold after its been roasted and I might try and bring a little thing of mayo for dipping. I'm so looking forward to going home but it is going to be really weird. Especially cause my day 30 is the day after I get there and I really wanted to weigh myself after the first 30 days....but I think I might hold off till day 90 and really see a big difference in my body composition and medical conditions. Who knows? Maybe I'll never step foot on one again?!

That sounds so good! I might try that :).

Being away is fun, but man it was hard last night! 5 zillion dessert places around us!!! It seems like every person walking past us on the main strip had ice cream or a pastry. Also, we eat out quite a bit and I'm getting kind of sick of plain meat/fish with veggies on the side. Some of the things on the menu looked so good :(. It's much easier to be creative at home and make delicious meals...going to stick close to home for the next bit. We did stop at a winery and picked up a beautiful bottle of wine to open on August 23rd. It was two years ago today, actually, that I got the horrible 'you have cancer' news, had surgery the 16th, and on the 23rd got pathology back to say they got it all :). Definitely a day to celebrate :)

Have a fabulous day, everyone! We are almost done the 30 days - way to go!

I love your gift, Alex!  Subtle and greatly appreciated, I'm sure.  Very nice - and great restraint on not eating any of it!  I probably would've smelled it.  Deeply!
congratulations on needing alterations - success, part 1 :)

Teachkk - congratulations on excellent results that have you here, healthy, and thriving on your 2 year anniversary of your horrible diagnosis!  That bottle of wine is well deserved.

We're almost there!  Regardless of who goes past 30, we will all be able to say we finished a whole30.  No small feat!

Alex - way to go!!!!  On both counts - finishing the internship and going down sizes :) That is excellent!!  It is such a good feeling.  I was your size until I was about 32.  I started walking one day and when I got to a street where I didn't know anyone, I ran a bit, and slowly the running became more than the walking and in 8 months I dropped 70 lbs!!!  I was a size 6 - who the hell is a 6!?  Definitely not me :)  I managed to stay at a 10 when all balanced out, but over the last couple of years with everything I've been through, I put on 30 pounds and went to a 14. I've gone down to a 12 over the last few weeks, so I'm getting there. I'm so uber conscious now about health, I'm pretty motivated to go back to my happy place at a 10.  We can do this!!!!!!!

I like the gift too - food is always appreciated, but especially chocolate!  

Nedelkma - double congrats for you doing this with no meat...I can't imagine!

I'm relaxing back at home now.  I'm making ribs again using a Bobby Flay rub minus the brown sugar (I made them earlier in my W30 and they are delish).  I also made a potato salad - chopped small red potatoes (into quarters), celery, red pepper, carrot, with a bit of salt and pepper, and EVOO and red wine vinegar.  Think I will made peas too...that's a veggie I always forget about, but I like them.  My sons are golfing right now and will be hungry when they get back :)  They are so lucky I love to cook!!!

Hope you all have a great night!!

• Moderators

Alex - way to go!!!! On both counts - finishing the internship and going down sizes :) That is excellent!! It is such a good feeling. I was your size until I was about 32. I started walking one day and when I got to a street where I didn't know anyone, I ran a bit, and slowly the running became more than the walking and in 8 months I dropped 70 lbs!!! I was a size 6 - who the hell is a 6!? Definitely not me :) I managed to stay at a 10 when all balanced out, but over the last couple of years with everything I've been through, I put on 30 pounds and went to a 14. I've gone down to a 12 over the last few weeks, so I'm getting there. I'm so uber conscious now about health, I'm pretty motivated to go back to my happy place at a 10. We can do this!!!!!!!

I like the gift too - food is always appreciated, but especially chocolate!

Nedelkma - double congrats for you doing this with no meat...I can't imagine!

I'm relaxing back at home now. I'm making ribs again using a Bobby Flay rub minus the brown sugar (I made them earlier in my W30 and they are delish). I also made a potato salad - chopped small red potatoes (into quarters), celery, red pepper, carrot, with a bit of salt and pepper, and EVOO and red wine vinegar. Think I will made peas too...that's a veggie I always forget about, but I like them. My sons are golfing right now and will be hungry when they get back :) They are so lucky I love to cook!!!

Hope you all have a great night!!

Just a reminder that if by peas you mean English peas, they're legumes and during a whole30 are off limits. If you mean snow peas or snap peas, where they're more pod than seed, those are okay.

Just a reminder that if by peas you mean English peas, they're legumes and during a whole30 are off limits. If you mean snow peas or snap peas, where they're more pod than seed, those are okay.

Glad that when I took them out, they'd been in the freezer too long, so I threw then out :). Thanks for your help!!

Oh my gosh, we're almost done with 30!  Yay!
I find myself waffling (food terms are becoming more and more frequent for me :D ) between wanting to just go eat _____ and staying on the whole30 for longer, until I feel like it's time to reintroduce.  I think it will likely be the latter, but with changes.
I did not always do a great job of 3 meals only, unless there's a pre- or post-workout meal.  I did too much grazing.  Not as in giant snacks between meals, just more like a lunch or dinner that was so hampered by work stuff that it became piecemeal and punctuated with several macadamia nuts in between prolonged courses.
I'd like to start religiously sticking to 3 meals and adding workout meals if I get my butt into the gym.
I also just don't like that many veggies.  I've tried sautéing in ghee, I just don't like many.  I'd like to just have a salad with every meal.  I didn't eat enough veggies with my meals this go 'round because I don't like them cooked for the most part.  i'll go to raw in my next 30.

I don't know about you all, but I am so amazed by the number of things that are cooked in or contain vegetable oil! I never actually cared, but now it appears everything has vegetable oil!

I am going to allow myself 1 out in my next 30:  if I get to the point that I am about to eat a slice of pizza because I cannot swallow one more bite of egg, I will reintroduce garbanzo beans at that point and just include disguised eggs in everything I can. 

Thank you all for going through this together! :wub: 

Nedelkma good for you! I hate salads haha so that's why I roast and cook everything, but if that's what works for you that's awesome! I take that back, I really like small arugula and olive oil salads at breakfast, which I haven't done this whole 30 round 1 so I'm definitely going to be doing that when I get to Miami tomorrow.

Teacherkk glad you didn't eat the peas!! I was about to type they were off limits but Shannon beat me too it. Bleh, I hate peas haha. I'm finding that a lot of the "healthy" foods I hate are actually not good for me! My mom used to make me eat egg whites by the half dozen and forced me to eat tomatoes. Guess what? They have negative affects on autoimmune disorders! So (insert tongue sticking out smiley face lol). I was right haha. 

I have been consuming only things in my fridge for the last few days and thank gd cause it has been a hard will power week. Well, I made it but I definitely have had my fleeting (and I stress fleeting) moments of "why am I doing this?" and "I want a f brownie." 

We had a cookout at my friend's yesterday. I brought my own grass fed burgers with primal palate's meat and potato seasoning and it was disgusting to see all the different burgers on the grill. Mine were nice and brown and pretty, and the store-bought ones were red and bleeding profusely (OMG nedelkma hopefully these descriptions don't scar you), and then these gross looking turkey ones. Bleh. A friend made some compliant potato salad and I snacked on snap peas and it was great. I had a blast and only felt a little horrible when they were eating cookies...that I brought. Oh and I tried to buy vegetable kabobs before I went over and they had vegetable oil and SUGAR on them. WTheck?! I was so mad and upset for anyone who might buy them thinking they were good for them. 

My cousin and I went to the movies today and I was starving and a little panicky that the smell of popcorn would push me over the edge (hi hypersensitivity and overwhelming smells). We ran into target and I found hard boiled eggs, nuts, these dusted banana chips (no oils!), and sliced black olives. Woot! Woot! 

Its my day 28 and I feel like it flew by. I'm officially not weighing myself till my follow up doctors appointment...mostly cause I don't have a scale and I don't want to be confused by the number if I use my Mom's. 

For all of you on day 30 tomorrow good luck and congratulations and I cannot wait to join you on Tuesday!

I'm also really glad we did this together!  I cannot believe the 30 days is done, but I know I'm not stopping.  I love how I feel and know that I still have a lot to learn, so don't feel ready to stop.  I will weight myself though, so I have milestone dates to look forward to  :)

I made a couple of great meals this afternoon to have during the week!  I started by making what I call Buddha Bowls (I usually eat them veg only) - cauliflower rice on the bottom, and then layers on top of steak, sweet potato, mushroom/onion/garlic, kale, broccoli, and then topped with raw julienned carrot, avocado, pumpkin seed and then any dressing you want.  I made one with cider vinegar, mustard powder, and EVOO.  I put these in individual serving containers for lunches or dinners this week :)

Then I made Shakshuka - Alex, you might know it.  It's essentially a chunky tomato sauce with peppers and onion, cayenne, cumin, and paprika, and you cook it in a skillet and crack an egg in the middle, letting it cook right there.  Delish!  Also put the sauce in individual containers and will just heat up and add the egg at breaky.

For dinner tonight, I tried to make cauliflower pizza crust.  I found the recipe on a paleo site - it sucked.  I should say, it tasted good, but fell apart, so didn't feel like pizza.  Oh well...it filled me up :)  Won't be using that recipe again!

Hope you all have a great night!

I somehow missed this thread and have been posting on July 13th, even though I started on the 12th. Whoops, should have found you all sooner! This is my first complete whole 30, I started one in June but had to stop after 9 days. Because of that, I've actually been at this for awhile! My main goal was to lose some weight, I've always struggled to lose weight, even with excercise and decent diet. I was also hoping to improve some sleep issues, and clearer skin. I haven't had any changes in sleep or skin, but do feel like I've lost some weight. I have also been doing the 30 day shred workout series, so am anxious to do measurements on Tuesday.

As of now my plan is to stick with whole30 foods mostly for the rest of the week, but relax when going out. We will see how that goes...

Good luck tomorrow on day 30!

Day 31!!! Welcome, Meredith :) I'm definitely on this ride for a while. I think it's okay to share that I lost 11 pounds - woohoo! Going to do round 2 now...love how I feel and love the weight loss.

Anyone else continuing?

Day 30 for me and I am definitely going to continue. I'm feeling better than I have fort a long time, going in a couple of days to look at a couple of inflamation markers in my blood and want to continue to lose some more weight. This is a very good plan and easy to stick with once in the swing of it.

Yay! We did it! We all made it thirty days and are continuing on! I'm proud of us. I had a major fan girl moment this morning. I watched a Periscope broadcast that Melissa Hartwig did about how to deal with life after the Whole 30 and how to continue to implement our way of life in the face of people peer pressuring us. I needed that broadcast so badly its not even funny. I posted a picture of my breakfast on instagram and talked about the broadcast and Melissa wrote back to me! Being home has been one hurdle after another. I'm staying with my grandmother and she's insane. She grills me about the Whole 30 over and over and over again. My father grills me. My brother made me cry in the car because he was grilling me and telling me he's a scientist and I know nothing. But surprisingly my mother, who is usually grilling me, has been completely on my side and super supportive. So today, day 31, has been much better. I keep trying to just change the subject when people ask me what I can eat. I had breakfast at 830 and then didn't eat lunch until 330 because I went to Ikea with my aunt and her newborn and it was the slowest most painful process ever. I have two biopsies yesterday on each heel to determine if I have psoriasis and the wound sites are so painful when you have to walk a lot. By the end of the trip to Ikea I was about to cry. I'm going swimming in a bit to see if that helps.

Its amazing how exhausting it is to just stick up for yourself over and over again, but how great it feels to stick to my guns.

I hope you guys are doing well! I'm so proud of us!

• Administrators

Yay! We did it! We all made it thirty days and are continuing on! I'm proud of us. I had a major fan girl moment this morning. I watched a Periscope broadcast that Melissa Hartwig did about how to deal with life after the Whole 30 and how to continue to implement our way of life in the face of people peer pressuring us. I needed that broadcast so badly its not even funny. I posted a picture of my breakfast on instagram and talked about the broadcast and Melissa wrote back to me! Being home has been one hurdle after another. I'm staying with my grandmother and she's insane. She grills me about the Whole 30 over and over and over again. My father grills me. My brother made me cry in the car because he was grilling me and telling me he's a scientist and I know nothing. But surprisingly my mother, who is usually grilling me, has been completely on my side and super supportive. So today, day 31, has been much better. I keep trying to just change the subject when people ask me what I can eat. I had breakfast at 830 and then didn't eat lunch until 330 because I went to Ikea with my aunt and her newborn and it was the slowest most painful process ever. I have two biopsies yesterday on each heel to determine if I have psoriasis and the wound sites are so painful when you have to walk a lot. By the end of the trip to Ikea I was about to cry. I'm going swimming in a bit to see if that helps.

Its amazing how exhausting it is to just stick up for yourself over and over again, but how great it feels to stick to my guns.

I hope you guys are doing well! I'm so proud of us!

Holy smokes, that sounds like a brutal day!  What science does your brother practice where it says that eating protein, tonnes of vegetables and some good fats isn't good for you?  Silly.  Keep on keeping on............be a great example and the home baked not commercially fried chips will fall where they may.  ;)

I have empathy for you. I'm continuing on by at the end of the month I'm planning on going back east to see a bunch fat relatives who may notice my weight lose. I don't want to make a big deal out of it and actually want to be as invisible about it as I can so that they don't have to feel obligated to make anything 'special' for me and when asked I will keep it as simple as I can and just say that I am eating healthier and making better choices about what I eat and TRY and leave it at that. If I sense that someone REALLY seems interested, I may engage them but I'm not going for any grilling. And I will continue to make thebestchoices I can while I'm there. Fortunately I will only be ther for 4 1/2 days!

We are SO lucky...what a great group :). Alex - that's a lot to put up with - I'm super proud of you for getting through that! You are one strong girl. Sadieminx - good luck on your trip...you can do it! Nedelkma - glad you are still here, too! Moderators - thanks for always being so supportive :)

I've got no news - holidays have been quiet, although I've got teacher brain already and have been shopping, creating, planning. School here starts September 8th, but we usually start going back in to set up our rooms two weeks ahead. I moved classrooms, so have to unpack when I return. Sticking to my new lifestyle easily and loving it still. I may dive into Pinterest today...that usually eats a whole day, so I've been avoiding it ;)

Have a great day everyone. I really appreciate you all.

Wow, Alex- bittersweet cluster of days!  Stick to your guns.  As far as your brother goes, he cannot argue with the scientific fact that fewer calories in plus more energy expenditure daily equals weight loss.  He also cannot argue with the fact that eating foods in their least modified form is likely healthier than eating highly processed foods.  There's no scientific argument about those things.  There are shades of grey when it comes to how much scientists think processed vs natural impact us, but most scientists will acquiesce to the fact that purer is less unhealthful.
He's probably disagreeing with the notion of foods being 'pro-inflammatory' and the idea that you can change disease processes by eating per the whole30.
There are not a lot of data that have resulted from rigorous scientific studies regarding this, so he will not agree. That's okay - you can always point out that you feel better when you eat this way and that you're treating it like an elimination diet.  I think that makes a lot of scientific sense:  If someone doesn't feel well, especially after eating, and they feel better when they remove certain foods, then they've found an easy remedy for what ailed them. Hard to argue with that logic.  As long as you're not trying to change what someone else eats, what business is it of theirs anyway?
You're doing fantastic!

Archived