Flax seed oil For dressing

Sadieminx

• Administrators

It wouldn't be the best choice, but yes:

Flax Seeds: Yes

These “seeds” aren’t the same botanical family of seeds that we eliminate with grains and legumes, so that makes them fine to eat during your Whole30.

Tip: Flax isn’t likely to cause you any serious trouble, but it’s not the omega-3 super-food it’s made out to be, either. We explain why in It Starts With Food, but in summary, flax should be treated like any other nut and consumed in limited quantities.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.InxZciN7.dpuf

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators

I wonder if in the book "It begins with food", flax isn't allowed

but

in the list "can I have" it is allowed

what is right?

I can check my copy of the book but based on memory, I don't recall flax ever being disallowed outright.  It's recommended to be limited just like any nut or seed but you would be able to eat it.

At the moment, my friend bought the German book and told me about not allowed.
​I will see, because I do not remember precisely, I read the book on my kindle. Now, I only translated for him the "Do I have list"

​I am so sorry that we neither have a forum, nor a place where we are able to ask questions in German. 
The only possibility in our Country - and it is a big run - is metabolic. But metabolic is more a diet. Most of the people end up with that and start to gain, more than they weighted before. I wouldn't like These recommendations from metabilic :-(

​The other what is very known here, is paleo. In the German title of the book "Alles beginnt mit dem Essen" is the word "paleo" mentioned. So, it is very difficult, to make understandable why there is a difference.

More and more People around our family are interested, because they can see how good it is for us.

My English isn't good enough to transfer all important things.

Thanks for your answer, ladyhanny

I think it might be a translation issue :) If any of this is hard to understand, please let us know.

Here's another post about Flax oil and it's very clearly compliant, but a limited item.

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/2705-flaxseed-oil-for-dry-eyes/#entry22757

The reason for this is while Flax appears to be high in Omega 3, the way it's used inside the body is more like Omega 6.

It's limited to help keep your Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio healthy as you want your Omega 3 to be higher.

So yes you can have your Flax oil with lemon juice on your salad, it is compliant.

If you don't particularly like it or need it however, there are other more healthy oils that are lower in Omega 6, such as olive oil.

If you have this in your salad, you may not want to also add nuts as they also have Omega 6.

While Whole30 is paleo (no grains, no dairy), paleo isn't Whole30 (there's a lot of things allowed in a lot of paleo programs which are not Whole30 compliant - honey, butter and pseudo grains like quinoa are not allowed and many paleo programs allow these). Whole30 is more strict because you're trying to eliminate things and then add them back to see what feels good and what doesn't. Most paleo programs don't have this as part of the plan, but Reintroductions are an essential part of Whole30.

Archived