Energy Level -100%

I’m on day 8, I feel blotted, I’m sick and constipated. I have NO energy, I slept off and on all day Saturday and Sunday. I have fallen asleep a few times at my desk at work, NOT GOOD. I have followed the program rules exactly (I think). I don’t eat a large variety but I stick to the rules. I can live with the blotting and constipation but I need some energy. I haven’t been to the gym since I started this program because I don’t have the energy to go. I really want this to work for me but can’t take this much longer, any suggestions?

1.  3-4 eggs, mostly boiled but sometime fried in ghee
     with spinach, mushrooms and
     avocado

2. Whatever meat I fixed the night before
    baked sweet potato and fruit

3. Beef(ground or roast) or chicken breast or pork
    sweet potato fries, green beans or other veggies

This is pretty much my diet, I just can’t afford a large variety at any one time. I am going to have to change my sweet potato cause I’m trying to chock one down

It looks like you are not eating any fat for meals 2&3...and any veggies in addition to your sweet potato at meal2.

I have found that I get really tired without enough fat (I add ghee, mayo, avocado etc to all meals in addition to cooking fat) so maybe adding more will help?

A lack of energy is failry normal in the first few days, as is some change in Bowel movements.

That said I'd comment that boiled eggs are harder to digest than fried or scrambled, and are known for their 'binding' qualities so you may want to avoid those for a few days.

Your other meals don't look to bad, although I see no mention of fat in them.

Are you drinking at least half an ounce of water per pound of body fat daily?

Are you drinking a lot of seltzer? Or iced water?

Is the increase in animal protein a new thing for you? If so you might consider adding in a digestive enzyme, or some fermented foods like sauerkraut.

• Administrators

HI Jocko,

Besides "3-4 eggs", you haven't really indicated any portions, it's possible that you are undereating.  How much water are you consuming every day? The recommendation is 1/2 ounce per pound of bodyweight.  You also are not showing any fat in your meals, don't skimp here.

Your meals should be:

1-2 palms (length, width, depth) of protein (or as many eggs as you can hold in your hand without dropping)

1-3 cups veggies (1 cup = adequate, 3+ cups = optimal)

1-2 thumbs fat (or half to whole avocado or handfuls olives)

Feel free to post more specifics on your meals if you want more directed feedback.

Today is day 8. I had boiled eggs every morning before I started this. I do need to drink more water but I weigh 322 and that is a bunch of water. Even at 322 I will do an hour on an elliptical 3 to 5 times a week, now I can't even drag my fat ass into the gym.  The spinach and mushrooms, about a cup combined. A sweet potato is what it is. The green beans and other veggies are about 1-3 cups. I just made some bone broth yesterday, I really hate the taste and texture. It is thick and greasy tasting. I guess I could fry something in it cause I sure am not going to drink it. Any suggestions for the bone broth would be great.

Thanks for your help

Mike

• Administrators

Okeedokee, you aren't eating enough.  Now that I know you're a guy, I can almost promise that you can hold more than 3-4 eggs in your hand...because I can hold 5.  

Up those veggies, 3+ cups per meal per day.  Make sure you are adding fat, Mike.  It's not the feared enemy of body size that we've been told.  Your body and brain need it and in the absence of it your body will open up a revolt.   Are your meals lasting you 4-5 hours comfortably?

You can turn bone broth into soup; these three are my favourite:

Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup

Golden Cauliflower Soup

Tom Kha Gai

The first two listed there are an excellent source of extra veggies too, btw.

Finally, please don't refer to yourself in such harsh language ("my fat ass").  You are a human being who deserves love and compassion regardless of the size of your rear.  Lack of energy is pretty common here at the beginning and given that you are also having digestive issues (more veggies than you are used to, perhaps), your body is going through a lot.  What you are doing is commendable, give yourself a break for a second and breath.

Please eat more food.  If weight loss is a goal, please know that calories in vs calories out is a flawed equation. Weight loss occurs once your hormones are balanced and your body feels safe.  This only happens when you are eating an adequate quantity of food.

Archived