Start date Aug 1

Mary2244

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you planning on using it for eeandrews? Mine is ancient, was very cheap (£6 if memory serves) and works marvellously for Mayo about twice a week which is all I use it for...

The main thing I want it for is mayo. I'll probably just do the $28 Cuisinart one. Thanks y'all!

We are half way through but I'm already thinking that it would not be that difficult to continue after the 30 days.  This is the goal of the whole program but 14 days ago I only thought I'd be able to do it for the 30 days.  It feels really good to have some control on my eating but also feel good.

I have loads of chili (my own made with ridiculous quantities of bell peppers, chopped tomatoes and onions as well as mince) in the fridge but didn't want any for lunch after eating it twice yesterday with butternut squash and for breakfast today with courgette noodles...so I wrapped two small figs in prosciutto, roasted them and ate them with leftovers...loads of samphire tossed in ghee, 3 handfuls of mixed salad (rest of the bag), 1/3 sliced cucumber, a small heap of courgette noodles heated up in coconut milk and a handful of prawns cooked in ghee and parsley

Yum!!

I don't know if I fancy chili for dinner either. I may go out and get a chicken to roast...and some carrots to mash...and a Savoy cabbage to stir fry...mmmmm...

Well I haven't been posting much but our family is doing good.  So happy we are almost half way through.  Made a taco salad yesterday that was so good!  Made it with ground turkey with loads of spices (cumin, coriander, pure chili, cayenne) then loaded the warm meat onto a huge bed of cold lettuce then piled on the tomato, avacado, onion, 2 kinds of salsa and guacamole.  My one son who doesn't like veggies so much is still struggling but has found he likes broccoli and green beans a lot more than he thought!  My other son (they are both 13) is loving this way of eating.  Who would have thought!  Cooking this way for four is a lot of work though I must say.  

Having a super hard day today.  All I want is cheese and wine!!!

i think you're such a trooper for getting the whole family involved. i too was having thoughts of what i felt like today. went through the vietnamese part of town to go food shopping, and those vietnamese salad rolls on white bread were calling my name... i got a tub of hummus (protein for veg, normally not recommended on whole30), cucumbers + tomatoes instead. crisis averted...

I'm SHOCKED that Ladyshanny didn't call me out on this!  When she first told me about doing the Well Fed mayo with an immersion blender, I put the ingredients (less the oil) in the jar and then couldn't figure out how to hold the jar, and the stick blender AND the oil to drizzle.. so I let go of the jar... and as soon as the mayo got a bit thick, it started whipping the jar around on the counter... needless to say, I thought that was the stupidest idea ever and then one day weeks later we were talking and I described what I had done... I thought she was going to die laughing!  Ya, just dump it all in... no drizzling required!  Learned that lesson the messy way~

on that note - do you really need an immersion blender? i have a vitamix (upright high powered blender), and figured i should try in one of those, unless someone has stories to tell of their failures...

on that note - do you really need an immersion blender? i have a vitamix (upright high powered blender), and figured i should try in one of those, unless someone has stories to tell of their failures...

People have tried a Vitamix before and found it's too fast for making mayo. (It doesn't emulsify: you get more of a thin liquid.) You're better off with a standard blender, immersion blender, food processor, or even whipping by hand, the old-fashioned way.

I failed using a vitamix! Finally won using a food processor, but finally just ordered an immersion blender (the cheap cuisinart) that got delivered yesterday!

We are half way through but I'm already thinking that it would not be that difficult to continue after the 30 days.  This is the goal of the whole program but 14 days ago I only thought I'd be able to do it for the 30 days.  It feels really good to have some control on my eating but also feel good.

Bettylouis89, I'm feeling pretty much the same as you..I think I could keep this up for sometime...I am loving the foods I'm eating that I hadn't been before (avocado, beets, eggs), not missing the grains very much. For some reason it feels like "I got this"...and hope that continues...

We are half way through but I'm already thinking that it would not be that difficult to continue after the 30 days. This is the goal of the whole program but 14 days ago I only thought I'd be able to do it for the 30 days. It feels really good to have some control on my eating but also feel good.

Husband and I are absolutely planning to do more after August! I will just step into the September group I think.

Was having some protein fatigue and cooked scallops today.  My 13 year old boys were highly skeptical but both of them loved them!  Awesome that we are going outside of our box and finding things we like.  Lamb and scallops are thumbs up for sure.  We all still dislike sweet potatoes though except for the hubby.

Bettylouis89, I'm feeling pretty much the same as you..I think I could keep this up for sometime...I am loving the foods I'm eating that I hadn't been before (avocado, beets, eggs), not missing the grains very much. For some reason it feels like "I got this"...and hope that continues...

Hi Sheels,

I totally agree with all the wonderful new things.  I am currently really into swiss chard and onions with eggs.  I also love the walnut coated pork loin recipe.  I am making it again tonight.  The family loves it!  I having been cooking up a storm because I am looking for a job and it's making me crazy so I'm focusing on the things I can control which is now my eating and that makes me really happy.  I really want to weigh/measure myself but I have not done either of those things.  There is a real freedom to not having your day controlled by the scale. Anyway good luck Sheels!

Hi Sheels,

I totally agree with all the wonderful new things.  I am currently really into swiss chard and onions with eggs.  I also love the walnut coated pork loin recipe.  I am making it again tonight.  The family loves it!  I having been cooking up a storm because I am looking for a job and it's making me crazy so I'm focusing on the things I can control which is now my eating and that makes me really happy.  I really want to weigh/measure myself but I have not done either of those things.  There is a real freedom to not having your day controlled by the scale. Anyway good luck Sheels!

I made that last night..but in error used pork roast instead of pork loin...can you tell me how you get the walnuts to stick? perhaps I didnt get them fine enough?

A few of my friends are checking Whole30 out..and some have committed to start Sept. 1...I'm a hobbyist photographer so I post images of some of my meals on FB to give them an idea of what the program looks like..or just give them ideas for what to cook.

I'm curious how others are encouraging and sharing with friends...

I made that last night..but in error used pork roast instead of pork loin...can you tell me how you get the walnuts to stick? perhaps I didnt get them fine enough?

I press the walnuts into the pork roast then I wrap it in saran wrap to really make sure it's embedded into the roast.  I will then carefully unwrap the plastic and carefully place the roast on the roasting pan.  You're right, they do have to be ground very fine.

I press the walnuts into the pork roast then I wrap it in saran wrap to really make sure it's embedded into the roast.  I will then carefully unwrap the plastic and carefully place the roast on the roasting pan.  You're right, they do have to be ground very fine.

Thanks! will try that this weekend!

Hope you have a good week

My husband doesn't know this yet, but he bought me the Cuisinart 6-quart pressure cooker for our July anniversary. :)  

My mother-in-law doesn't think kitchen gadgets should be gifts. She wants us to build wish lists on Amazon and mine always have various kitchen things in it.  "I can't give you a silicone strainer for Christmas!"  Why not? :)  But I love her to death. I've got the best in-laws in the world. My family isn't into hugs and his side is all about hugs. It was kind of like "Meet the Fockers".. LOL 

Mmmmm... I made a whole chicken in my pressure cooker. After browning the chicken in the cooker, I tossed in a couple of handfuls of chopped onions, some minced garlic, salt, and pepper. For the water, I microwaved 1-1/2 cups of water with some rosemary and then added it. Once the pressure got to high, it was cooked in 25 minutes. Yum!!

I took the meat off the bones, putting that in my KitchenAid mixer bowl. Then I decided to make some bone broth in the cooker.  After I got the broth going, I used my KitchenAid mixer to shred the chicken.  I used two cups of the chicken to make chicken salad (mayo, celery, green onions, white wine vinegar, chives, salt, and pepper) and divided that into three servings. I divided the remaining four cups of the "plain" shredded chicken into two containers.  

When the hubs got home, he said "What is that monstrosity?" I told him an electric pressure cooker and then "Happy Anniversary!!"  LOL

Now to find recipes! I saw that Michelle has some on her site, http://www.nomnompaleo.com. I need to find some "regular" recipes that are Whole30 compliant that the hubs will like. Well, and that I would like too. I've really enjoyed eating my tuna salad and egg salad as I don't feel deprived.  No, that's not the right word. I don't feel deprived. Maybe it's the comfort?  I don't know. Maybe just the fact that it's something normal to me. I'm not the most adventurous person when it comes to making food, so all of this cooking has me out of my comfort zone. But I've found that I like cooking, so that's a big bonus for me.

Archived