Start date Aug 1

Mary2244

Mmmmm... I made a whole chicken in my pressure cooker. After browning the chicken in the cooker, I tossed in a couple of handfuls of chopped onions, some minced garlic, salt, and pepper. For the water, I microwaved 1-1/2 cups of water with some rosemary and then added it. Once the pressure got to high, it was cooked in 25 minutes. Yum!!

I took the meat off the bones, putting that in my KitchenAid mixer bowl. Then I decided to make some bone broth in the cooker.  After I got the broth going, I used my KitchenAid mixer to shred the chicken.  I used two cups of the chicken to make chicken salad (mayo, celery, green onions, white wine vinegar, chives, salt, and pepper) and divided that into three servings. I divided the remaining four cups of the "plain" shredded chicken into two containers.  

When the hubs got home, he said "What is that monstrosity?" I told him an electric pressure cooker and then "Happy Anniversary!!"  LOL

Now to find recipes! I saw that Michelle has some on her site, http://www.nomnompaleo.com. I need to find some "regular" recipes that are Whole30 compliant that the hubs will like. Well, and that I would like too. I've really enjoyed eating my tuna salad and egg salad as I don't feel deprived.  No, that's not the right word. I don't feel deprived. Maybe it's the comfort?  I don't know. Maybe just the fact that it's something normal to me. I'm not the most adventurous person when it comes to making food, so all of this cooking has me out of my comfort zone. But I've found that I like cooking, so that's a big bonus for me.

Dying to buy a pressure cooker.  Keep us posted on the different recipes you will be trying with your new pressure cooker and happy anniversary!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon - saved $20! (And they have a very generous return policy if needed.) 

Kind of funny... After I put in everything to make the chicken broth, I set it all up and hit the Start button. It did its routine on building pressure... and then after a minute or so, turned off. What? I looked in the user guide and fiddled with things. Nothing. I moved it back to where I had originally used it for the chicken. The plug was still in the unit, etc. Wait... is it supposed to be sticking out that much? Er, no. I pulled out the plug and then pushed it back in. Yep, working now. Doh!! Apparently after I had hit the Start button, I must have moved the unit. Since the cord is super stiff, it must have been enough to pull it out of the cooker just enough.

I ended up with a smidge under 12 cups of bone broth! Even though it was chicken broth, it smelled like a Thanksgiving dinner was cooking in my kitchen! I found some Paleo pressure cooker cookbooks on Amazon that I downloaded to my Kindle (and all of the devices I own). Now to peruse those, and the internet, for something yummy to make.  

So............ I saw a candy bar wrapper on the ground by my car and I had a thought of "I should pick that up and sniff it."  No lie. I didn't. Then I laughed at myself while I was putting the cart in the corral.  :lol: I don't crave sugar stuff. Every once in awhile, a random thought of Milk Duds occurs, but I think to myself "Yeah, right." and the thought is gone.

I made a really good meal tonight in the pressure cooker... Pork chop loins, potatoes, baby carrots, mushrooms, tomato paste, chopped green peppers, chopped onions, and water. I completely forgot to salt and pepper the pork. (That was to have been done before browning.. and I didn't remember until we were eating.) It only took 6 minutes on High pressure. I think I spent more chopping and browning. Well, I chopped while I was browning.

What's neat is that I didn't get home until 5 today due to a later meeting. (I get to work at 7 am.) I looked in the freezer to see what we had for meat as I've been stocking up when I see "manager's specials". I put the chops in in a large ziploc bag and put them in a bowl of warm water to thaw - then I went outside to play ball with my dogs. I emailed the hubs to pick up mushrooms. (And then I worked on a couple of websites I manage.) The hubs got home about 6:30 or a little later. I tossed in the mushrooms, locked the lid and turned the cooker on. Yummy!!

I bought mine at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon - saved $20! (And they have a very generous return policy if needed.) 

Kind of funny... After I put in everything to make the chicken broth, I set it all up and hit the Start button. It did its routine on building pressure... and then after a minute or so, turned off. What? I looked in the user guide and fiddled with things. Nothing. I moved it back to where I had originally used it for the chicken. The plug was still in the unit, etc. Wait... is it supposed to be sticking out that much? Er, no. I pulled out the plug and then pushed it back in. Yep, working now. Doh!! Apparently after I had hit the Start button, I must have moved the unit. Since the cord is super stiff, it must have been enough to pull it out of the cooker just enough.

I ended up with a smidge under 12 cups of bone broth! Even though it was chicken broth, it smelled like a Thanksgiving dinner was cooking in my kitchen! I found some Paleo pressure cooker cookbooks on Amazon that I downloaded to my Kindle (and all of the devices I own). Now to peruse those, and the internet, for something yummy to make.  

great idea, forgot about BBB and their 20% off coupons.  the broth sounds wonderful!

So............ I saw a candy bar wrapper on the ground by my car and I had a thought of "I should pick that up and sniff it."  No lie. I didn't. Then I laughed at myself while I was putting the cart in the corral.  :lol: I don't crave sugar stuff. Every once in awhile, a random thought of Milk Duds occurs, but I think to myself "Yeah, right." and the thought is gone.

I made a really good meal tonight in the pressure cooker... Pork chop loins, potatoes, baby carrots, mushrooms, tomato paste, chopped green peppers, chopped onions, and water. I completely forgot to salt and pepper the pork. (That was to have been done before browning.. and I didn't remember until we were eating.) It only took 6 minutes on High pressure. I think I spent more chopping and browning. Well, I chopped while I was browning.

What's neat is that I didn't get home until 5 today due to a later meeting. (I get to work at 7 am.) I looked in the freezer to see what we had for meat as I've been stocking up when I see "manager's specials". I put the chops in in a large ziploc bag and put them in a bowl of warm water to thaw - then I went outside to play ball with my dogs. I emailed the hubs to pick up mushrooms. (And then I worked on a couple of websites I manage.) The hubs got home about 6:30 or a little later. I tossed in the mushrooms, locked the lid and turned the cooker on. Yummy!!

My weakness is sugar for sure but I don't miss it at all.  Chocolate Chip cookie dough is like heroin to me.  I think I'm the person who has to avoid sugar all together.  I know they say everything in moderation but that just doesn't work for me.  Your pork chops sound so good!  Take care and enjoy your day.

Good morning y'all! On day 20 and feeling good. I have very few cravings but I am having dreams that I slipped up on Whole30, hahaha. This morning I literally checked all around the side of my bed for the bag of jelly belly beans that I dreamt I had eaten. Such a horrible feeling of regret until I realized it was a dream! I don't even like jelly beans!

I had my first food dream last night. I was at a convenience store, and I guess they had really good grilled cheese sandwiches (?), and I ate one. Then I realized what I'd done, and I literally tried to regurgitate it...makes a grilled cheese sandwich seem a lot less appealing! Haha.

I had my first food dream last night. I was at a convenience store, and I guess they had really good grilled cheese sandwiches (?), and I ate one. Then I realized what I'd done, and I literally tried to regurgitate it...makes a grilled cheese sandwich seem a lot less appealing! Haha.

I had my first food dream last night too! Dreamt that I was at some sort of school function and I ate up all the cookies, ice cream and cake! I was devastated and then woke up and realized it was just a dream!

The hubs and I went out for lunch today to celebrate his birthday. Typically we'd go to a Mexican restaurant. He was asking me this morning what places I could go to and find something to eat. I said "Anywhere that I can get a piece of meat and some veggies." We ended up going to Ruby Tuesdays. They had a petite sirloin with two sides. I ordered a baked potato and grilled asparagus. I had the waitress ask what kind of oil they used for cooking and to see if they could cook it in olive oil. They use some kind of margarine but were able to substitute the olive oil for me. I also had them hold their usual seasonings and just use pepper and salt. My meal was FABULOUS! I didn't even get to the potato. I ate my steak and half of the asparagus. (The potato and asparagus are sitting in the fridge here at work to be eaten tonight.) I gave the waitress a bigger than usual tip and wrote a thank you note on the bottom of the paper.

I also asked the waitress before she brought us the bill if they do anything special for birthdays. She said a free sundae. So I had the hubs order that. He said he felt weird eating it in front of me. I told him it didn't bother me. It really didn't. I did sniff the bowl when he was done though. Mmmmmmm.... it smelled good. Vanilla bean ice cream with chocolate sauce. I wasn't even tempted to taste it. Sometimes a good sniff is all a person needs. (Donuts have always been that way for me. I'd rather smell them than eat them.)

Anyhow... Ruby Tuesday was a HIT! I'd go back and order the same thing. 

I had my first food dream last night too! Dreamt that I was at some sort of school function and I ate up all the cookies, ice cream and cake! I was devastated and then woke up and realized it was just a dream!

Thank goodness, eh?

Hmmm... I'm trying to remember if I have had any food dreams...  

I'm getting pretty sick of meat and eggs...I've never been a big meat eater. All I want is something with beans as the protein. I'll hang in there, but this last week isn't going to be easy, I think.

Do you like fish or seafood?

I started on August 1 and just joined the forum. I'm feeling good during the day but am still struggling with bad gas and constipation. Have really limited my nut and cruciferous veg intake, although am eating a raw salad for lunch daily. 

I'll admit to just feeling a slump here - while i've noticed improvements in my mental health, and i've obviously lost weight (haven't been on a scale or measured, but my body is just a slightly different shape and muscles are showing where they didn't before...
i'm more even keeled thanks to the lack of carbs. while i've had eggs + zucchini for breakfast, just feel like it's fruit salad time. i'm wondering about reintroducing food as a vegetarian - i'm keen on going back to the paleo sweet stuff - the hot chocolates, the raw desserts, along with oats and a small amount of rice.

'''''

I started on August 1 and just joined the forum. I'm feeling good during the day but am still struggling with bad gas and constipation. Have really limited my nut and cruciferous veg intake, although am eating a raw salad for lunch daily. 

Raw vegetables can cause digestive distress for some. You might want to switch to all cooked veggies, to see if that gives you some relief.

Also, be sure you're drinking at least 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, daily.

If you'd like further help, post 2-3 days worth of your typical log in the Troubleshooting section. Include portion sizes and water consumption. From there, we can give you more specific feedback on possible tweaks.

Can't believe it's day 24! The Whole 30 really helped me through my job hunting process.  I got a job offer on Friday and feeling really good physically and mentally.  Will definitely continue Whole 30.  Love the coconut cream in my coffee!! Really don't miss dairly or carbs.  So glad to be off my drug of choice sugar!

I'm also a fan of the coconut milk in my coffee! I'm not sure I would even want to go back to half and half!

My only issue is that I have had some heartburn recently. It's mostly at night, so right now I'm trying to eat earlier and make sure that I'm not reclining on the sofa right after my meals. I also know that spicy food can trigger it, so I've dialed that down as well. But even with all my changes, I still had some heartburn this morning :( it was awful! To me it almost feels like a panic attack.

• Administrators

I'm also a fan of the coconut milk in my coffee! I'm not sure I would even want to go back to half and half!

My only issue is that I have had some heartburn recently. It's mostly at night, so right now I'm trying to eat earlier and make sure that I'm not reclining on the sofa right after my meals. I also know that spicy food can trigger it, so I've dialed that down as well. But even with all my changes, I still had some heartburn this morning :( it was awful! To me it almost feels like a panic attack.

You might try taking some Apple Cider Vinegar or eating a lemon.  Sometimes heartburn can be a result of having too little stomach acid.  If Whole30 style eating is somewhat new to you it's possible that your acid pumps haven't caught up to the new plan yet.

I, too, am suffering with bad bloat and constipation which I think have given me a hemorrhoid :( I am eating most of my veggies cooked. I am taking mag oil to see if that helps. 5 more days! I would be lying if I didn't say I can't WAIT for a slice of pizza! I can do without most of the rest of the sugar and whatever, but pizza I don't see myself ever giving up

Archived