Start date Aug 1

Mary2244

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing well so far..tho better planning and shopping would have helped. That's my task for today!

Drinking black coffee is AWFUL!...any suggestions?

I like mine with the 365 brand organic coconut milk from Whole Foods! It takes a few days to get used to but now I really like it.

My meals are becoming a little more creative now. I have LOTS of leftovers in my fridge/freezer from all of the cooking I've done since Saturday. 

NO SNACKING or mini meals. I was full.

Meal 1: Ham slice, egg over easy (no veggies but I was barely able to finish this). The eggs were cooked in coconut oil and ghee. BUT I had a cup of iced coffee with fake "creamer" made with coconut milk, coconut oil and vanilla.

Meal 2: Left over Tod Mun Chicken Cake (Well Fed 2), raw broccoli, raw carrots, ranch dressing (noted above)  <-- I ate this at noon and I was seriously stuffed until probably close to 5:00. Had another iced coffee with fake creamer.

Meal 3: Corned beef deli slices filled with a handful baby carrots and Well Fed Ranch dressing. I pulsed the carrots and dressing in my baby food processor (also have a big one too) until the carrots were very "processed". LOL Wow!! It was really good!!  I also had a small side of watermelon balls. The only fat was from the dressing.

Now, I do need to work on getting a little more fat in (and veggies, of course). I absolutely cannot stand olives of any kind. 

I did make a quick run to the grocery store this morning. My big stop was in Produce with a quick pit stop to get some more flavored fizzy water (seltzer with natural flavor and no sweetener).  I picked up a couple of avocados along with veggies and now I need to Google what to do with them. Like, how to get to the good stuff inside. The only avocado I've eaten has been at restaurants. Anyhow, when I was checking out, a guy behind me said "Wow! You must really eat healthy!" It kind of cracked me up. I just replied that we are trying!  

PS. I'm also learning to trust recipes. Some the ingredients that go into the Well Fed 2 recipes aren't something I'd think to use. I'm a "Minnesota Bland" girl and the recipes I've made are far from bland. LOL Oh, except I don't use as much jalapeno or Serrano peppers that a recipe might call for. (Spicy hot fear.)

PPS. I changed my display name to something better. The other name I had is something I use when I want to remain REALLY anonymous but it feels like a sham here. ;-)

I'm interested to here what everyone's top two reasons are for committing to this 30 day journey?

For me, it is to:

1. Reset my eating switch. I can go awhile and things are stabilized, and then what, I do not know, but I lose all sense of satiety and I gain 1-3lbs per week. I need to do some sort of very controlled eating to regain normalcy again.  This is a relatively new thing in the last 5 years.  Controlled eating successfully resets it, for about 6 months.  When I do the re-entry with selective foods to identify intolerances or whatever, no foods will reveal any trigger. It's as if something builds up slowly over time and then all of a sudden hell breaks loose.

2. Take a break from wine. I love wine with my food, but I don't want to reach for it every night. Too expensive, and it replaces the water I need to be drinking.  Sorry to say sipping water out on the deck each evening is not as romantic.

I have others, but really, those are the top two.  It's only Day Four and I needed to come back to my reasons of why I am choosing this 30 day adventure.

i thought i ate relatively healthily, but knew that carbs and hidden sugar was a problem. so whole30 is a nice cold turkey (literally for some!) in dealing with that.

i have a fairly severe mental illness - so anything that can even remotely help with that, i'll try.

i'm obese, and with fructose intolerance, which is rearing it's ugly head right now, so each day is a lesson in what i can and can't eat.

Today was a kill all things sort of day. I never was tempted to go off plan because the reasoning part of my brain kept telling me this is exactly why I need to stay on my Whole30 since sugar apparently is so addictive that I'm having these feelings! That was sort of roundabout but I'm still dealing with brain fog :) Anyway, I have been thinking about llissa's reasons for committing to the 30 days. My reasons are:

1.  ....mainly to slay the sugar dragon. I fight blood sugar highs and lows and like how I stabilize when I eat this way

2...another reason is an act of self-discipline. I feel that I too often give in to food based on emotions or fatigue. I really want to feel strong and in control.

If you're still here, then you've survived Day 5! Yay for us!

My meals are becoming a little more creative now. I have LOTS of leftovers in my fridge/freezer from all of the cooking I've done since Saturday. 

NO SNACKING or mini meals. I was full.

Meal 1: Ham slice, egg over easy (no veggies but I was barely able to finish this). The eggs were cooked in coconut oil and ghee. BUT I had a cup of iced coffee with fake "creamer" made with coconut milk, coconut oil and vanilla.

Meal 2: Left over Tod Mun Chicken Cake (Well Fed 2), raw broccoli, raw carrots, ranch dressing (noted above)  <-- I ate this at noon and I was seriously stuffed until probably close to 5:00. Had another iced coffee with fake creamer.

Meal 3: Corned beef deli slices filled with a handful baby carrots and Well Fed Ranch dressing. I pulsed the carrots and dressing in my baby food processor (also have a big one too) until the carrots were very "processed". LOL Wow!! It was really good!!  I also had a small side of watermelon balls. The only fat was from the dressing.

Now, I do need to work on getting a little more fat in (and veggies, of course). I absolutely cannot stand olives of any kind. 

I did make a quick run to the grocery store this morning. My big stop was in Produce with a quick pit stop to get some more flavored fizzy water (seltzer with natural flavor and no sweetener).  I picked up a couple of avocados along with veggies and now I need to Google what to do with them. Like, how to get to the good stuff inside. The only avocado I've eaten has been at restaurants. Anyhow, when I was checking out, a guy behind me said "Wow! You must really eat healthy!" It kind of cracked me up. I just replied that we are trying!  

Just out of interest, what sort of vanilla are you using for your 'creamer'?

I'm interested to here what everyone's top two reasons are for committing to this 30 day journey?

For me, it is to:

1. Reset my eating switch. I can go awhile and things are stabilized, and then what, I do not know, but I lose all sense of satiety and I gain 1-3lbs per week. I need to do some sort of very controlled eating to regain normalcy again.  This is a relatively new thing in the last 5 years.  Controlled eating successfully resets it, for about 6 months.  When I do the re-entry with selective foods to identify intolerances or whatever, no foods will reveal any trigger. It's as if something builds up slowly over time and then all of a sudden hell breaks loose.

2. Take a break from wine. I love wine with my food, but I don't want to reach for it every night. Too expensive, and it replaces the water I need to be drinking.  Sorry to say sipping water out on the deck each evening is not as romantic.

I have others, but really, those are the top two.  It's only Day Four and I needed to come back to my reasons of why I am choosing this 30 day adventure.

I'm going to be honest and say my top two reasons for doing the Whole 30 are weight loss and more control over ridiculous sugar cravings.  I don't really miss alcohol because I usually only drink on Friday and Saturday nights.  It's a little tough to sit at a bar with seltzer and lime but it hasn't been that hard. As the authors said, hard is having cancer... However, cakes, cookies even fruit yogurt really feeds my crazy sugar addiction.  I just want to go back for more and more and I always feel awful after eating it.  So that's it for me..oh yes, staying off the scale has been a challenge but I am not getting back on it until August 31.  Good luck!

I'm also an August 1 start with you guys! Definitely feeling really tired these last few days. Waiting to turn that corner. This afternoon I really really was craving a diet coke, but I had some C20 Coconut Water instead. It was surprisingly good. Definitely going to head for that instead of the soda when the cravings come on!

Today is day 6 and I am having cravings for things I do not usually eat anyway.  I am going to change it up so that I do not feel so deprived.  

Proteins & fats will stave off those cravings, and in the meantime try a distraction technique - run a bath, go for a walk, paint your nails, wash the dishes, alphabetise your DVD collection - anything non-food related. Cravings are only temporary and will soon pass.

Didn't post yesterday, but another day on plan. A couple of challenges...I went to dinner with my parents and specifically selected a restaurant that specialized in dishes which can be soy free, gluten free, dairy free, vegan, etc. It is a vegetarian restaurant. Well, turns out it hard to get a meal together on whole30 at a place that doesn't serve meat! I ended up with a salad (I had to substitute beets for rice), but it was not nearly enough food. Luckily I had made stovetop pork carnitas the night before, so I came home and ate a plate of pork (pretty good, a little too high spice/pork ratio so I dipped it in whole30mayo.)

The other challenge was a HUGE gift basket of gourmet snacks and wine that my mother-in-law sent as a belated anniversary present. All of those little packets of deliciousness sitting on the kitchen counter, and 5 bottles of wine!!! I was relieved to go into the kitchen this morning and find that my wife had put them away and out of sight smile emoticon.

I think last time I attempted Whole30 I hit the "I gotta have wine and candy" day about now where I almost quit. Hopefully that won't overcome me again. So far, so good!

My mood was more upbeat today, not the terrible grouchiness I've felt the last couple of days so hopefully progress is being made. I continue to remind myself that the cravings for sweets are exactly why I'm doing this. Thought of another reason I'm committed to this journey and that is to see if my anxiety will lessen as I nourish my body and get better sleep. 

Tomorrow is Day 7 and it's exciting to think of being on this for a whole week, although I, too, am waiting to turn the corner into some energy!

....I just looked at the timeline and read that Days 6&7 can be ones where you feel like you need a nap. That's me! But in looking ahead, I see where Days 10&11 are where most people will quit. Yup--the last time I tried this is was Day 11 when I fell (jumped) off the wagon. That is actually motivating to me, to realize I'm headed into territory where I gave up but determined to stand firm this time!

So far so good...day #7!  I usually get up really early to walk my dog but I read some of the items on the news letter and it really focused on sleep.  So today I slept in until 7 and went to bed last night at 10.  I slept really well and feel great this morning.

I made eggs, onions, tomatoes and bought the paleo bacon for whole foods so I had two strips of bacon.  Very good! Lunch will be the chili from the cookbook.  Dinner is the ribs and sauce from the cookbook with the cauliflower dish.  I'll keep you posted on how it tastes.  So far all the recipes have been really good.  Everyone in the family is enjoying the different dishes.

Going off to take my dog for a walk.

Have a great day!

I can't believe we are already on day 7! I've actually had very little issues with this (aside from the hunger at times). A few headaches, very few cravings, and good energy. Today, I don't really feel like eating - I know that's something that happens on the plan, and I'm still making myself eat the full meals. I got all the meat from my dad last night - grilled pork, chicken, steak, and shrimp, as well as some salmon in vacuum-sealed bags. I'm so thankful for it! Hope everyone else is doing well!

Just out of interest, what sort of vanilla are you using for your 'creamer'?

Oh... rats, apparently vanilla extract is non-compliant.   Well... that really ticks me off as I was looking for the ingredients but apparently that is on the box, which I no longer have. Sheeesh. Oh well.

....I just looked at the timeline and read that Days 6&7 can be ones where you feel like you need a nap. That's me! But in looking ahead, I see where Days 10&11 are where most people will quit. Yup--the last time I tried this is was Day 11 when I fell (jumped) off the wagon. That is actually motivating to me, to realize I'm headed into territory where I gave up but determined to stand firm this time!

I could use a nap right now... and it's only 5:30 pm. (Or would this be "going to bed early?") LOL

For me, it is to:

The why:

1. Much like the above, reset my eating switch and get control of it. I do well during the day generally but at night I snack out of loneliness and boredom...I continue from dinner and generally munch till I go to bed..and usually it was reaching for whatever was in the fridge...sometime slice after slice of bread...or I'd make a trip to the store and get Doritos, Nibs and M&Ms..and eat them all before bed.

2. Stop drinking. I have a drinking problem...most times it is under control but the last few months it hasn't been. I was determined to stop once I got back from holidays Jul 23rd..and so far so good!

3. Weight loss is also in the mix...but I really wanted to try eating whole foods..and not relying on protein powders, or bars, or convenience foods

Archived