Dee55555

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone who has done Whole 30 living for awhile has had a period that eventually has normalized and if so how long did it take?

This is my scold whole 30 and for some reason both times it made my period start almost immediately.

After my first whole 30 the second month it was still pretty erratic and then I sorta fell off the wagon with eating this way slowly so I don't remember what happened with my cycle. I do record it but in an app on my phone and it lost all the information so I can't check.

I'd love to hear people's experiences with this as I do plan to follow this way of eating in the long term.

Thanks!

• Moderators

I have an IUD so I can't say if mine personally changed one way or the other but I DO know that there are LOTS of women that have reported this very thing... also ovulation for the first time in years, increase or decrease in cramps/pms/sex drive etc... all these things are linked to hormones and as you regulate your hormones by removing disruptors and inflammatory foods, your sex hormones can often take some time to adjust as well. I don't think I've heard of a single case where someone Whole30'd on or changed to a paleo diet where they didn't eventually level out and go back to 'normal'. Now, for how long 'eventually' is... hard to say... each woman is different and depending on where the woman came from eating-wise and any other hormon-ish things going on, it varies. Stay the course and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by an evening out....

This is my first whole30 and I am on day 10 now. I'm suppose to start my period any day now but I don't have any of my normal pre-period symptoms; irritability crampy bloated. Honestly all i want to do is take a nap. I was full of energy the last 4-5 days but now I so exhausted

• 1 month later...

My period is MIA right now (two weeks late, two negative pregnancy tests in the doc's office, the second of which was at over a week late, and no sexual activity that could realistically lead to pregnancy) and one result i am hoping to get from Whole 30 is its return. As much as I hate having the thing, I sure do miss it when it's gone! I've been paleo-ish for two years and came off of birth control around the same time. My period has been pretty regular for well over a year since coming off of BC (28-30 days, consistently) but I discovered a UTI and passed a stone around the same time I was supposed to start this time (around day 32) so I'm not sure whether the situation in my urinary tract might have had some negative impact on my cycle (in the way that the physical stress of the ailment may have impacted hormones). I was also drinking heavily around ovulation time last month and I wonder alcohol might have had some kind of affect on my ovary's ability to do its job. Either way, I am hoping W30 can help AF and I reunite! If anyone has managed to bring back a missing menstruation I would love to hear about it!  

• 3 weeks later...

Great question, Dee55555!  

My daughter has regular periods but they're very heavy and she has so much cramping the actually throws up.  We're about to make an appt for her to get birth control pills - but I'm wondering if Whole30 will help her to the point she doesn't need to take that action?  Anyone have advice on this?

I080581, consider asking your daughter's doctor for a full thyroid screen - tsh, free t3, free t4, antibodies at a minimum. Even a very slight imbalance can contribute to very heavy periods. Stop The Thyroid Madness has a lot of great info on what ideal values should be.

But yes, it's possible she'll see some changes in her cycle, though it make that more than a whole 30. It could take 60 or 90 days to see a change.

Archived