Last fall I signed up for a local women's triathlon to support Cancer research here in Maine.  I've always been athletic, but never considered myself an athlete.  I thought to myself, I need to lose some weight before I tackle this.  A sister suggested paleo eating which I began in January at 164 lbs on a 5'3" frame.  Was able to drop some weight before I joined the 'StartingMarch1!!!!!' Whole30 group.  Did a restart mid-month because I wasn't reading my labels well and found soy in my tuna.  Finished mid-April with a weight loss of 7 lbs.  Have been 95% compliant with Whole30 since. 

This past weekend I completed my first triathlon.  A 1/3 mile swim, 14.7 mile bike and 3.1 mile run.  What a fantastic sense of accomplishment.  I'm still floating on air and told my run group last night that I'm wearing my 'medal' every day this week!!

In January I was a size 14.  I now fit into size 4's.

In January I weighed 164.  A few weeks ago I was 127.  Over 35 lbs gone in 7 short months.

In January I couldn't run a mile.  Now I can run 3, with a bike ride and a swim before :)

In January I was addicted to sugar.  Since then I've eaten no known added sugar.

In January I ate all day long, often 'nibbling' on almonds through the day.  I haven't eaten one nut since January.

In January I was a snacker.  Today, it's 3 squares - plus my workout snacks.

In January I dressed to cover my body.  Today I'm proud to show it off.

I'm a young 58 and I haven't been at this weight/fitness level since I was 18!!  Today I'm proud of who I am, I walk with a sense of power.

Almost forgot, a year ago I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis.  Started on Methotrexate, Prednisone and Folic acid which ended up not working, the pain remained.  Was on bi-monthly Humira injections since January.  I can't remember the last time I gave myself an injection.  My joint pain is gone.  I see my rheumatologist in August and am anxious to see where my rheumatoid markers are.

Thank you Whole30!  Thank you!!

post-63096-0-97273300-1438176909_thumb.j

post-63096-0-25468800-1438177479_thumb.j

Congratulations!! As a fellow triathlete I say you wear that medal with pride every day for a month! Savor this accomplishment! The first one is always the best (luckily the first of any new distance is ALSO the best).  :D

And congratulations on all your other victories as well - you deserve it!

Archived