New to Whole30 and starting Aug 7!

mfustos

Hello,  I am new to the Whole30 and my doctor (who is on day 4) suggested I try this to help with anxiety, fatigue, general lethargy, vertigo, brain fog, and muscle trigger points that I can't fully get rid of and seem to activate with little-to-no warning. 

I have been doing my research and preparing for a start date of August 7 (tomorrow). I already don't eat dairy or gluten and try to eat clean, but my biggest changes will be the hidden additives and sugar, cutting out all grains and soy and getting more protein. 

My biggest concern is that several of the supplements I take contain additives that are "no-no's" in the Whole30 plan (such as my fish oil (soy), daily vitamin (soy and others), probiotic (brown rice powder). The question is, do I just cut those out for 30 days? I was encouraged to take the fish oil (most of all) by my physician and can probably find another brand that doesn't contain the additives. Thoughts? 

Any suggestions or tricks to help me out? 

Has anyone out there received relief from reoccurring muscle trigger points with this program?

Thanks, all!

• Moderators

Welcome!  Glad you found your way here and amazing that your doc recommended this!  Very forward thinking!  You're lucky!

Yes, it would be recommended to not take the supps for the duration of your Whole30.  If necessary, please do find one with no soy or grains as these are major gut disruptors and will affect the outcome of your program.

If you eat to the template and get a variety of proteins, veg and fats, you shouldn't need the supplements for the 30 days but doctor's orders do trump the program rules so maybe ask your doc since he's also doing the program and is the one that recommended the fish oil.

Lots of people have found relief in joint and muscle pain due to the inherent anti-inflammatory nature of the Whole30.  It's hard to say if 30 days will give you full relief but it absolutely won't make your trigger points worse!

Another question I have, is how much fruit is too much? I am getting the book "It Starts with Food" today and plan on doing some reading tonight, but I have downloaded all of the program information and shopping, meal planning tips. I know it says eat fruit with "some" meals. I also know that a couple of nutritionists have suggested I may have candida (causing a lot of my issues) and most candida diet sites say I should stop eating fruit all together. I don't think this is healthy. 

What is anyone's thoughts?

Thanks!
MA

• Moderators

The recommendation is 1-2 fist sized servings per day, eaten with meals.  However! It is absolutely NOT a requirement and as vegetables are nutritionally superior to fruit, it is absolutely okay to remove fruit.  There are a TON of us that haven't eaten fruit in a long long time.  It doesn't give you anything that vegetables can't... so you may want to try limiting/eliminating fruit if you think you do have candida... 

Archived