Natural Calm dosing question

fmr_sailor

So I'm sure the Natural Calm questions have been done to death, but.....

I read about this supplement here in the forums, and I've seen it mentioned on Paleo sites. I wanted to start taking it mainly for the effect of helping with constipation, which I have struggled with off and on for YEARS, regardless of my diet. I started taking 1/2 tsp on Monday, then about Wednesday or Thursday, up to a tsp. I'm "going" more often, but consistency hasn't changed. Tonight I went up to 1 1/2 tsp to see what happens.

But my actual question is this:

The bottle says its best to spread out the doses, however when I take just the teaspoon, it affects me like a sleeping pill. (I've taken Ambien in the way past, and this is the same feeling for me.) Because of this I'm hesitant to want to take doses during the day. If I find I need to take the full dose of 2 tsp each day, can I just take it all at night?

sorry if this offends the delicate but here's the deal: if you take too much natural calm at once, you will get explosive watery stools. 2t at once may be enough to get that result, it may not. That depends on you. Starting gradually is good. Know that it kind of builds up over time and gradually increase. If the worst happens, you will know for the future how much is too much. Take a few days off and start taking a smaller amount.

Personally I have stopped taking natural calm and started doing magnesium citrate chelate* in a tablet. I take it in the morning. It doesn't make me sleepy but I do think it helps keep everything in balance.

EDIT: *happened to look at the bottle this morning, it's chelate, but I think there are several forms that work.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried splitting up my dose throughout the day, but I don't always remember to take it that way. For me it's just easier to take all at night. I take between 5-7 grams and it helps with sleep and regularity. Once in awhile I pour a little too much in and I can definitely tell the next morning, but it hasn't caused me any issues...

• Administrators

I take my dose at night, around 1 tbsp and it helps immensely with regularity.....but MAN do I feel groggy in the morning on it!  I'm trying to decide which I prefer, waking up alert or pooping.  It's Sophie's Choice.

Archived