Go with the flow, Jo

GoJo09

I was 23 days into my last Whole 30 when I had to fly home (internationally) as my mother is very ill with cancer. A one week stay turned in to two, but I'll be honest that I gave up trying to stay away from the gingerbread cake on day 4.

I'm not going to attempt a perfect 30 days at the moment, because I know I'll have to go home again before the month is out. Plus I just opened a bottle of pinot noir...

But I do need to keep it as clean as I can right now for a couple of reasons:

1. I need the calmness and good sleep that being Whole 30 brings

2. My stomach needs me to stay away from gluten

3. I need the rules to give me something to focus on and stop me eating ice cream and chips for dinner (which I may or may not have done today...)

So, I'll string together as many days as there are before I head home again, and once the wine is empty I won't buy any more. Promise!

Any day where I don't buy a chocolate bar is a good one! I was so hungry by about 3pm today though - ended up munching a bag of nuts on the way home, which is almost as bad of a habit as choc.

6.15am: almond milk latte

7.25am: 4 eggs and coleslaw cooked in coconut oil, with half an avo and sriracha sauce

12.45pm: roast pork, steamed broccolini and yellow capsicum, with a packet of sweet potato and apple baby food (super unorganized this weekend)

5.40pm: 120g bag of activated mixed nuts

7.00pm: seafood marinara mix in fish stock with a few bites of potato; 2 glasses of red wine

No exercise (unless you count the physio), but over 10k steps

Ugg I could murder some chocolate right now. And I know perfectly well why - the Irish coffee I just had. Drinking too much and drinking sweet liquors is not going to help anything. I'm on the wagon! And White knuckling the cravings.

7.30am: double serve spinach and beef slice

10.30am: coffee with coconut cream

12.00pm: 1hr gym class

1.15pm: sweet potato baby food

1.30pm: shredded pork, zucchini and capsicum, berries and coconut cream

6.45pm: chicken curry with two thighs, glass red wine, decaf almond milk latte with a shot of Baileys

Thanks Noelle.

I hurt my knee running on Sunday so didn't train this morning, but I still had to get up at 5am to go and stand at the track and support my team. And it was cold!

Had a remedial massage after workand he said that even though my muscles were a bit tight they all relaxed really quickly which is the sign of healthy muscles.

5am: almond milk layer

7.45am: 1.5 serves of spinach and beef slice and a few chunks of sweet potato in mayo

12.30pm: coleslaw with mayo and shredded pork and a thin piece of lemon chicken. Strawberries and a couple of spoons of coconut cream

7.30pm: chicken curry with two thighs. Few chunks of sweet potato with mayo. Decaf almond milk latte

Still had some cravings for sweets after dinner.

Just went in to the chocolate shop after work to pick up a gift for someone. Never ever go in to the best chocolate shop in town when you're hungry and newly on the sweets wagon!

I quickly walked out with no gift, but nothing in my hot little hands, either.

I didn't have a post-wo snack today and I think it's showing - was pretty distracted all afternoon too.

7.30am: 1.5 serves of spinach and beef slice

10.30am : almond milk latte

12.00pm: 1hr gym class

1.15pm : shredded pork and coleslaw with mayo

7.00pm: sardine fritters and broccoli. Might have a fried egg as well.

Good for you for getting out of there with no chocolate!

I honestly started bargaining as soon as I got within sight of the shop! "They're going to give me the free samples when I buy the gift, so I might as well get a dark chocolate frog as well, right?" Honestly, I was practically drooling! I'll find some other kind of gift for my friend!

Dinner last night ended up being the sardine fritters, zucchini (my flatmate had eaten my broccoli...), hot sauce and mayo, and then a bit later (because it took longer to cook) I served up a whole sweet potato cut into chunks and roasted, dipped in mayo. Sweet potato dipped in mayo is my jam. I could eat that stuff until the cows come home. Except last night I ate about half and realised I was quite full and even though I wanted to eat more, I really didn't want to. Confusing, right?! I put the remaining half of the sweet potato away in the fridge - out of sight, out of mind!

I'm so tired and cranky this afternoon. My lunch wasn't satisfying, and I have a stupid work thing tonight that I don't want to go to, but I don't have a choice. I'll have to eat at the pub, and there's nothing on the menu that I want to eat. I can't be bothered and I just want to go home. I think I'm tired and hungry and I'm really worried that I'm going to end up saying eff it, and eating a bunch of crap.

Just whinging.

I didn't eat a bunch of crap. I did sneak off early though.

7.30am: spinach and beef slice and 4 sweet potato chunks

10.45am: almond milk latte

1.00pm: shredded pork, steamed broccoli and chicken salad, Apple and Walnut salad

5.00pm: paleo bar (equivalent 3.5 dates and coconut oil)

6.00pm: chorizo and barramundi kebab appetizer, 3 pieces salt and pepper squid (gf)

7.00pm: pulled pork and apple coleslaw burger without the bun, potato wedges

Not the best foods in the world today, but I made better choices and didn't get carried away (with all the other appetizers and food on the table. Oh and I was at a pub, drinking water).

I now have a headache, indigestion, and feel a bit yuck.

My favorite is sautéed spinach with mayo. But really, that stuff is good on everything!

Your experience of feeling "done," wanting to eat more but realizing you'd had enough and setting the food aside? THAT is my goal. I'm not there yet. If I've decided to eat something, I tend to just eat it all. Because I can? Because it's there? Who knows.

My favorite is sautéed spinach with mayo. But really, that stuff is good on everything!

Your experience of feeling "done," wanting to eat more but realizing you'd had enough and setting the food aside? THAT is my goal. I'm not there yet. If I've decided to eat something, I tend to just eat it all. Because I can? Because it's there? Who knows.

I can assure you it's not a constant feeling, Noelle! I was pretty full from dinner already so that probably helped. Perhaps that's a way of training myself - eat the really good stuff when I've already eaten so I have no room to fit it in!

Cold roast sweet potato and mayo is the best! But yes, mayo on anything really.

Another less than optimal day. Very tired and dragging (possibly because of the dinner last night?)

6.00am: 2 scrambled eggs

7.00am: 8km run (meant to be 16, but injuries playing up)

9.00am: smoked trout and potato hash

11.00am: banana coffee pea protein shake

1.00pm: beef jerky bar

2.30pm (at a party): 4 deviled egg halves, carrot sticks with hummus

4.30pm: chocolate coated rice cakes (telling myself I needed carbs...)

6.30pm: seafood mix and vege with hot sauce, potato wedges

So bitsy. Had brunch after running and then was a bit peckish when I fit home and had a squishy banana to use up so made the protein shake. Then I was still a bit hungry before I went to the party so had the jerky. Then I was just picking at food at the party (avoiding the ten million cakes and treats).

Now I'm just tired and want to go to bed. At 7.

Ok Sunday and Monday had some bad choices.

- 2 cupcakes Sunday. I was baking for a work event. I don't even like cupcakes! I had been craving ice cream but I talked myself out of it, and then bam, I spilled icing on my hands and it was all over!

- Monday was even sillier. I was decorating my cupcakes with Oreos and there were leftover biscuits. So I ate them. All. I think about 10. And then I bought a piece of caramel slice from the bake sale. The first bite was delicious. I didn't stop at the first bite though. Felt quite sick.

Still, I picked myself up and shook myself off and ate my compliant lunch. Went to the gym after work (cleverly prepared with a post-wo snack as I was starving) and had a delicious compliant dinner.

My goal is to be 100% until Saturday evening (evening! Not a full day!), when I'm going to friends for a birthday dinner - that'll be takeaway (gluten free) and I won't eat cake/pudding!

I was reading someone else's log and they commented that they had suffered back pain and night sweats after eating some non-compliant food (sugar) and it was a real lightbulb moment for me. Sunday evening, after my 2 cupcakes, I had lower back pain, where I was rolling around in bed trying to get comfortable, and I woke up a couple of times sweating (which has happened to me a bit over the past few weeks). I hadn't made the connection to food, but it could totally be a culprit. I'll have to note how I feel on Saturday night, after eating well for a few days. 

Wow, that interesting about the back pain! Interested in seeing if compliant foods solve that problem!

Haven't had so much as an ache after 3 days of mostly complaint food (I'm not worrying about sugar in my chilli sauce or almond milk). I did have caramel slice and Oreos on Monday morning and I was fine that night, but possibly it was long enough before bed for my body to metabolise it? The cupcakes the previous day were in the evening, so only about 3-4 hours before bed.

It's definitely something I'll keep an eye on.

I'm a bit of a goose sometimes. Despite knowing that ice cream doesn't agree with me, I had it twice this weekend. And not even special ice cream for a special occasion. Average ice cream because I was bored/craving/eating my emotions/whatever. Accompanied by chocolate both times. I felt sick afterwards, and it affects my sleep, and I DIDN'T EVEN ENJOY IT THAT MUCH! (Yelling in hopes of getting it through my thick skull.)

I have absolutely nothing special in my calender for the next month, so I am starting a Whole 30 tomorrow (Tuesday 25 August)!

Archived