Day 4 and still have a wicked headache

Someone please tell me this goes away. I have a 10-month old I have to take care of and it's a major nuisance. I don't really want to take Advil because it seems counter-productive. I'm already pounding water like it's going outta style, I've always been a pretty hardcore water drinker but I've upped my game even more. So it's not that. Also eating at least one serving a day of starchy root veg. 

Sorry you're feeling this way...

Something else to consider - are you salting your food? Are you eating enough? And are you including a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day?

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake along with sleep/stress/activity levels we can take a look and maybe make some tweaks that could improve things for you...

Are you nursing by the way?

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I am still nursing. I salt my food but not excessively, mostly just while cooking. I feel like I am eating plenty, full after every meal and not the least bit hungry in between. I am quite active, walking and jogging several km in a day and doing fitness classes, etc. Here's my last few days meals:

Day 1:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, 1/2 avocado, homemade tomato-cilantro salsa

Lunch: Tuna salad with homemade mayo, wrapped in lettuce leaves; an apple and almond butter

Supper: Ribs, potatoes, green beans

Evening snack: raisins 

Day 2:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, 1/2 avocado, homemade salsa, black espresso

Lunch: Homemade potato salad with eggs, celery, apple

Late lunch: Sauteed chicken breast and zucchini

Supper: Shredded cabbage "spaghetti" with meat sauce

Day 3: 

Breakfast: kale, cashew, mushroom, chicken scramble (yum!) and some black espresso.

Lunch: Homemade potato salad with a can of sockeye salmon dumped on top -- YUM

Supper: Procuitto-wrapped shrimp, avocado, and peppers (I know, right!!) with roasted 7-spice cauliflower

Yeah, for someone who is nursing, jogging, and taking fitness classes you're really not eating enough. Most active folk are taking bonus food in the form of pre & post WO meals, you're including neither PLUS you are nursing.

Day one & day three are pretty much missing an entire meal given your circumstances, and some of your meals don't look to have any added fat, which I think would really help with your headache. How many eggs are in your scramble? When they are your only source of protein you should be eating as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand - that's generally 3-4 eggs...

Remember that what we eat has a cumulative effect on us so if you continue to eat like this you will gradually start to feel worse.

Up the size of your meals a little, add in some extra fat, and at least a mini meal each day to allow for nursing and you should feel better soon.

Also be sure you are drinking a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily - probably more so given that you are nursing and I recall being permanently thirsty...

Ok, awesome -- thanks so much for your help! Wow, this is really unlike anything I've ever done before -- I feel like I am already filling my face, and now I need to eat more!? I can't wrap my head around eating more than two eggs in one sitting, but I guess that is what I need to do. I added 1/3 can of coconut milk to my brekkie of 2 eggs, a giant sausage, yam, zucchini, pepper, onion scramble, plus a banana. I can already feel the fog lifting ;)

• Administrators

Ok, awesome -- thanks so much for your help! Wow, this is really unlike anything I've ever done before -- I feel like I am already filling my face, and now I need to eat more!? I can't wrap my head around eating more than two eggs in one sitting, but I guess that is what I need to do. I added 1/3 can of coconut milk to my brekkie of 2 eggs, a giant sausage, yam, zucchini, pepper, onion scramble, plus a banana. I can already feel the fog lifting ;)

You don't have to add more eggs if you add another protein source as you did this morning with your sausage. Some people, myself included, do not get maxium satiation from just eggs for a meal. If we have eggs with breakfast they are always in addition to some other animal protein in the meal.

Glad you are starting to feel better, that was an excellent breakfast, keep it up!

I'm having similar symptoms. I'm on my day 4 with my headache starting last night. Today it continues and I am dizzy and sleepy. I am not a new mom nursing but I workout everyday. So these symptoms mean I am not eating enough at meals? I do drink only water. My other question that is off topic- what kind of deli meat is ok?

• Administrators

I'm having similar symptoms. I'm on my day 4 with my headache starting last night. Today it continues and I am dizzy and sleepy. I am not a new mom nursing but I workout everyday. So these symptoms mean I am not eating enough at meals? I do drink only water. My other question that is off topic- what kind of deli meat is ok?

Feel free to give us a rundown (with portion sizes) on what you've been eating for the last few days as well as your fluid consumption, exercise schedule, sleep and stress etc.  Then we can tell you if it looks like you're eating enough at meals.

Compliant deli meat is nearly a unicorn.  I think Aidells had some at one point but I thought I read it was changed to be non compliant.  Also if you are in Canada, it's not available.  As far as deli meat goes though, it's not an optimal choice.  You need a LOT to form a proper serving of protein (think an inch thick and the size of the palm of your hand) and it's more processed than, say, a chicken that you roast yourself.

Ok- thanks! I was just going off the PDF grocery list that says deli meat, but they all have bad ingredients obviously.

So far today:

B: 2 eggs, 1 shredded red potatoes hashbrown with some leftover shredded zucchini, and a homemade pumpkin/nut/almond butter frozen bar sweetened with reduced grapes

L: 2 Aidellis chicken and apple sausage, 1/2 avacado, 1 small red potato, 1 C wilted spinach with marinated artichokes, 1/2 C baby carrots

• Administrators

B: 2 eggs, 1 shredded red potatoes hashbrown with some leftover shredded zucchini, and a homemade pumpkin/nut/almond butter frozen bar sweetened with reduced grapes

L: 2 Aidellis chicken and apple sausage, 1/2 avacado, 1 small red potato, 1 C wilted spinach with marinated artichokes, 1/2 C baby carrots

So..........the homemade pumpkin nut almond butter frozen bar thing is really toeing the line of compliance if not outright SWYPO.  It should certainly not be present at your breakfast.

Eggs when they are your sole protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping...for most women that is at least 3-4. Veggies should be in the neighborhood of 1-3 cups (3 being optimal) with some type of added fat.

Your lunch looks OK though. Was the spinach 1 cup after wilting or before?  Hopefully after.  :)

The ingredients are compliant, but what you were making was a fruit & nut bar - which are for emergency use only. If you can make a bar you can make a proper meal.

Apart from that it's good for neither pre nor post WO - the recommendations for preWO being protein & fat, and for postWO being protein & a starchy veg. Your bar contains no protein, and the fruit is sending the wrong signal to your body to become fat adapted as its signalling your body to burn & replace liver glycogen.

Sorry!

• Administrators

Well, I put pure pumpkin, crushed nuts (1/3 C), plain grapes with water on stove cooked then puréed to use at sweetner, 1 tbs almond butter

Aren't those ingredients ok? I was mainly trying to make a quick pre or post work out snack.

What jmcbn said but also the fact that boiling & blending grapes to make a "syrup" to use as a sweetener is not compliant.

Archived