Having a hard time with black coffee

FAB@50

I am on day 4 of the Whole 30 and every morning I crave my coffee with powdered Coffee Mate, the way I used to have it every morning.  I've been settling for black but boy do I miss my creamer!!!  Any suggestions for a substitute?  I tried the canned coconut milk and that wasn't for me.

• Administrators

Morning! Coffee is a sensitive subject, for sure. Go ahead and Google "Whole30 Black Coffee" and "Whole30 Coffee" and you'll get lots of forum threads with people's opinions/tricks etc.

To get you started: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/12755-coffee-for-your-whole-30-how-to-make-it-if-youre-used-to-using-dairy/

Are you emulsifying the coconut milk in with a blender (traditional or hand/stick blender) vs spooning it in the coffee?

If that doesn't work for you, you might explore the world of tea. Or, try different quality coffee beans, which can make a huge difference.

I agree with what everyone else has said. It will honestly take more than 4 days to begin to appreciate or tolerate black coffee. It took me about a week and a half to just tolerat black coffee. Just the other day I got my husband his morning "creamer with a bit of coffee" and I couldn't understand how or why he would drink it! Coffee with creamer was a 20+ year habit for me, it's been 7 months since I last had creamer, and only recently did I stop wanting it. Habits take time to change. There are options...

This has been a big change for me too. I haven't been a fan of almond milk or coconut milk in my coffee so far. It seems I would rather drink it black if I can't have cream, so I ended up trying a few different coffees black and found one I can actually drink in its pure form! Very exciting for a former sweetened latte drinker. Someone on the forum had recommended moderate roasts - not too dark or light - with a Central American origin. That's right where my taste buds have landed with a local coffee roaster that fits the bill. The "flavor notes" are almond and cocoa. Just posting that again in case anyone else is struggling to go without cream!

I'm on Day 4 as well, and grrr do I want some honey and powdered creamer in my coffee. It's the only real craving I have. Sucky!!!

I'm on day 4 also.  I kinda got use to black coffee.  I thought I would never be able to .  I think I blew it with Emerald dry roasted almonds .  Did not look at the list of ingredients .  2% or less of sugar.   Darn .  Start over .  

I liked black coffee before starting Whole 30, but it always depended on the coffee! When I had fancy beans and did pour-overs at home, I never had to use cream or milk... but I'd go straight for the milk when getting coffee at work or Starbucks. (A previous workplace had a coffee maker that brewed coffee that tasted generations old. I'd use the super sweet vanilla Coffee Mate to drown out the taste. :P)

If you want to make the transition to drinking coffee black, I recommend going for light or medium roasted beans/grounds. Doesn't taste as "burnt" or acidic as dark roasts like French, Italian, etc. Try to grind beans right before you use them for better flavor--if you don't have a grinder at home, some grocery stores have one you can use (I think this is the same internationally?).

If you have the same problem I had with a crap coffee maker, I recommend getting a cheap ceramic coffee dripper and some filters to keep at your desk. If you get nice beans, a dripper/pour-over is a great way to make yourself a cup of coffee!

I typically add cinnamon to the grounds in the coffee maker, gives the coffee a nice flavor.  Also, high quality, fresh ground coffee makes such a difference.  GEt a bean grinder and grind only the amount you need per day.  A quality grinder is less than 20 bucks on Amazon!

After 60 years of delicious half'n'half in my coffee, I didn't think I could ever do without it. 

But.... I'm here to tell you that you can adjust...

I drink my coffee black now and wouldn't go back to the other.   The first couple of weeks it was awful.   The next couple of weeks it was tolerable.

Now I prefer black coffee.

There are 2 key points:

1)  Patience.   It takes time to adjust.

2)  Good coffee.  That doesn't mean super expensive.   But I found a Keurig/Green Mountain coffee that I really like.   There are lots of choices.

I agree with what everyone else has said. It will honestly take more than 4 days to begin to appreciate or tolerate black coffee. It took me about a week and a half to just tolerat black coffee. Just the other day I got my husband his morning "creamer with a bit of coffee" and I couldn't understand how or why he would drink it! Coffee with creamer was a 20+ year habit for me, it's been 7 months since I last had creamer, and only recently did I stop wanting it. Habits take time to change. There are options...

Oh thank god you said that!! I didn't realize what a coffee mate addict I have been. Morning coffee is very important to me and it has been a real trial to find something that satisfies me. I'm still experimenting. Thank you for making me feel validated!!

Thank you THANK YOU everyone for your posts about the very serious issue of coffee! Seriously. Coffee is very important to me and very comforting, especially in the morning. I am on Day 3 and it has been one of the hardest things for me about this plan. I'm experimenting with coconut milk, coconut cream, almond milk, plain black....so far it's been dismal. But I will keep trying, and I'll try a better bean too. I think I might pull out my french press too. I feel better to know I'm not the only one struggling in this area.  :D

I'm on day 4 also.  I kinda got use to black coffee.  I thought I would never be able to .  I think I blew it with Emerald dry roasted almonds .  Did not look at the list of ingredients .  2% or less of sugar.   Darn .  Start over .  

Don't dispair!!! Just keep going. A few almonds isn't going to blow all of your hard work over these 4 days!! You're doing great and I'm right there with ya! 

Archived