hunger and depression

ellie3mck

Has anyone ever experienced somewhat severe depression when hungry? I have noticed a lot of severe highs and lows doing this. I'm trying to cut my fruit back and add more veggies and starch and see if that helps.

I am eating:

5oz 1/2 ground turkey + 1/2 ground beef with tomatoes and kale + banana for breakfast

about 1 cup grapes pre-wod + hard boiled egg

1-2 hour competitive crossfit wod

baked red potato + 5oz turkey/beef recipe + green salad with home made salad dressing (vinegar, oil, mustard) post wod

5oz packet wild salmon or tuna + carrots and grape tomatoes snack

sometimes an extra run here

dinner is usually 5oz chicken (or similar) +green veg or salad + baked potato or sweet potato

frozen banana before dinner.

Unfortunately, over the weekend I ran out of almost everything and was very busy so didn't get to eat much. If I'm not super careful to eat a LOT then I get really tired and depressed. Granted, this is a very difficult time in my life - I'm a single mom of 3 with a new business, but it seems out of place for me - at least since I started eating healthily several years ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

The banana in the morning could be spiking your blood sugars & causing mood swings... Also fruit before bed can do exactly the same. In fact our recommendation would be to not eat fruit on it's own at any time, but rather opt for two of the three food groups (protein, fat & veg) if you truly must snack from genuine hunger rather than boredom.

When you say frozen banana, how are you eating it?

Starchy veg will certainly help stabilizing moods so I'd agree you should up your intake to twice a day, & cut back on fruit to see if that helps. You could definitely do with more fat too which could also be contributing to your hunger...

Note: I had my gall bladder removed last summer and gained some weight afterward. Tried ETP and upped my carbs. Discovered that I started losing weight/fat with dropping fat intake. Also discovered that I was experiencing bad carb dumping if I ate carbs in quantities more than about 1/3 cup at a time (to the point that I had to pull over on the side of the road and take a 5 minute nap for fear of having a wreck!!!). Have been incrementally increasing fat through the 2 weeks so far and it helps but still not great.

• Administrators

Has anyone ever experienced somewhat severe depression when hungry? I have noticed a lot of severe highs and lows doing this. I'm trying to cut my fruit back and add more veggies and starch and see if that helps.

I am eating:

5oz 1/2 ground turkey + 1/2 ground beef with tomatoes and kale + banana for breakfast

about 1 cup grapes pre-wod + hard boiled egg

1-2 hour competitive crossfit wod

baked red potato + 5oz turkey/beef recipe + green salad with home made salad dressing (vinegar, oil, mustard) post wod

5oz packet wild salmon or tuna + carrots and grape tomatoes snack

sometimes an extra run here

dinner is usually 5oz chicken (or similar) +green veg or salad + baked potato or sweet potato

frozen banana before dinner.

How much is 5 oz related to the palm of your hand? One palm-sized serving? Two?  I don't think you are eating enough for a person who is doing 1-2 hours of high intensity training and going for a run.  

Mood/depression/anxiety are in fact directly related to how much food we eat overall and how much of that is starchy veggie for carbohydrates.  I think if I were you I would increase the overall amount of food I was eating at each meal (2 palms protein, 3+ cups veggies, 1-2 servings fat) and see how you do.  And as mentioned above, make sure your pre and post workout food is substantial and ideally that it follows our recommendations (protein and fat for PRE and lean protein and starchy for POST).

I absolutely feel depressed and mopey when I've missed a meal or haven't eaten enough, especially if I skip breakfast. I have depression which, for the most part, is controlled and I'm okay most of the time. A few weeks ago, I thought I was hitting a major depressive period. I was despondent, had zero motivation, and was just struggling in general. This coincided with several days in a row when I was running out of the house without breakfast. When I started eating breakfast again, I realized that  my depression was still stable.

Since you're doing competitive Crossfit, I would echo the other mods in encouraging you to eat on the upper end of the template. You'll need lots of protein for muscle repair and lots of fat for energy and hormone regulation. Fat helps to support your thryoid, your adrenals, and every other hormone in the body so I really can't overstate it's importance for energy, hormone balance, and overall well-being. Experiment with different fats and see which one is most friendly to your gallbladder. You might also consider using bile salts to help support your increased fat consumption.

Yes I used to have pretty bad depression issues but found that when I changed my diet it all but disappeared. I haven't felt like this in a long time. What are bile salts? 

I have to say, I'm finally starting to feel better since I increased my potatoes... I can't do sweet potatoes as they give me horrible gas if I eat them during the day - doesn't seem to be a problem at night (or at least there is no one there to tell me it's a problem! lol) Fats still seem to be a bit of an issue... as soon as I increase them I can tell a difference in my weight (how I feel). Trying to play with them a bit and see what I can figure out though. 

Overall, I am still a bit weaker and tired, but otherwise I am feeling better. Honestly, I didn't have to change a whole lot from my diet except that now I can't have my pre-workout or my protein shake... and the occasional bout of tortilla chips ;) When I cut grains out of my diet it helped me enormously, but I find I still need a lot of carbs to be strong enough in my wods. This is a diet I would like to keep up after the 30 days is over (at least to an extent) but I need to figure out this whole issue with fats and carbs.

Archived