Souffle but not really?

simmie

Would something called a souffle (but really isn't) that uses egg whites, shredded coconut, and coconut oil be considered SWYPO?   I'm the hardnosed one a lot of the times, but this one I just don't see as SWYPO.....

The recipe calls for beating egg whites until stiff peaks form, folding in coconut, then placing a yolk and the whipped egg mixture in a rameking and baking.  

It doesn't sound SWYPO to me (my test is: does it make me want the real thing? This doesn't meet that test), but others feel it definitely is.  

Would appreciate feedback on this.  I don't see SWYPO as being tied so strongly to the Name of something necessarily.

Yeah, this was on a group -- and it would be satisfying part of the protein requirement. It would definitely be part of the meal template.  For me....well I'm a pudding person too, and this isn't really pudding from what I can figure.

• Moderators

A souffle can be a savory or dessert dish. It is okay as a savory dish, but not as a dessert even if all ingredients are acceptable. I think adding shredded coconut puts a souffle in the dessert category, but if you made it without coconut and maybe with some added beef, veggies, etc., it would be fine as a savory dish. 

What about carrot or sweet potato soufflés? These are sorta sweet.

Those would be ok - best served along with a protein to fit the template.

Tom is referring to a dessert-type souffle, like a chocolate souffle, for example.  That would be off-limits.

Archived