Starting September 28 anyone else?

suzanyk

Another day in the books.

Last two days energy has been really good.  I'm thinking Tiger Blood is setting in.  Anyone else feeling really energetic and positive at this point?

Made Well Fed Chocolate Chili for company last night.  Huge hit!  I only wish I had made more for leftovers.

-KG

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far, this has been a great experience.  I feel amazing and  my skin is clearing up (main reason to start this).  

I have made major changes in what I eat (was big snacker and ate alot of carb/cookies/chips/candy/dairy prior) but kept very active to offset calories.   

My only concern is that I am still not able to get down to just 3 meals a day.  I get up early most days (4:45am) and eat breakfast (2 eggs usually, some veggies and fat like 1/2 avocado).  I'm then hungry by 11:00 so have an early lunch.  Then, I can't make it to dinner (which is 6:00 / 6:30).  So, I usually have a mid-morn snack to push lunch later OR have something around 3:30 to make it to dinner.  Is that OK?  I come from a total grazing lifestyle so to even be down to 4 (or 5 if post-wo) times to eat a day is a MAJOR change for me.  When I do snack, I eat compliant food and try to hit 2 of the 3 categories.    

Anyone else having this issue?  Any advice?   I don't think I'm gaining weight since my clothes feel same.  But, am I going long enough to be considered on the whole-30 plan?  Also, I imagine I will do this again sometime soon (like after holidays) so want to understand best approach.  

My only concern is that I am still not able to get down to just 3 meals a day.  I get up early most days (4:45am) and eat breakfast (2 eggs usually, some veggies and fat like 1/2 avocado).  I'm then hungry by 11:00 so have an early lunch.  Then, I can't make it to dinner (which is 6:00 / 6:30).  So, I usually have a mid-morn snack to push lunch later OR have something around 3:30 to make it to dinner.  Is that OK?  I come from a total grazing lifestyle so to even be down to 4 (or 5 if post-wo) times to eat a day is a MAJOR change for me.  When I do snack, I eat compliant food and try to hit 2 of the 3 categories. 

Have you tried increasing your breakfast to the amounts recommended in the template? If you are eating eggs as your only protein, that would mean 3-4 eggs, not two, for example. If you want to try to get to three meals per day, this is where I would start.

Anyone else having this issue?  Any advice?   I don't think I'm gaining weight since my clothes feel same.  But, am I going long enough to be considered on the whole-30 plan?  Also, I imagine I will do this again sometime soon (like after holidays) so want to understand best approach.  

Ok, we only expect you to create meals that keep you satiated for 4-5 hours.  You have a longer stretch than that between your meals, so if you are genuinely hungry in that space, it's completely ok to insert a mini meal of protein, veg and fat.

Good morning, all! I woke up today and couldn't believe we are on day 20. Feels like just yesterday we were making introductions and starting off. For me day 10 was the hardest- but getting to day 20 seemed easier. The prep and planning are a more smooth process and I am not questioning any more what I can and can't eat. We eat most meals at home- but have eaten out three times over the last 20 days. Have any of you thought about what habits you are going to keep from Whole30 once we are done?

I am going to be incorporating this into my health coaching practice and would love insight from you on what you think really works and will be a lasting change :) Have a wonderful weekend!!

All the best, BB

Ok, we only expect you to create meals that keep you satiated for 4-5 hours.  You have a longer stretch than that between your meals, so if you are genuinely hungry in that space, it's completely ok to insert a mini meal of protein, veg and fat.

Ok, thanks!

Good morning, all! I woke up today and couldn't believe we are on day 20. Feels like just yesterday we were making introductions and starting off. For me day 10 was the hardest- but getting to day 20 seemed easier. The prep and planning are a more smooth process and I am not questioning any more what I can and can't eat. We eat most meals at home- but have eaten out three times over the last 20 days. Have any of you thought about what habits you are going to keep from Whole30 once we are done?

I am going to be incorporating this into my health coaching practice and would love insight from you on what you think really works and will be a lasting change :) Have a wonderful weekend!!

All the best, BB

I just noticed there is a section in forum called Life After your whole 30. Had all kinds of sub topics. I am going to start reading those...

You know it may be day 20 but it is still hard to sit at a meal and see everyone eating the things that I love and not feel left out. I am committed to this Whole30 and the new lifestyle that it promotes but I still have my moments. I am doing well with meal preps and eating my clean meals but I still find it emotionally hard. Physically I am doing great. I body feels so much better in all respects which is amazing. That right there tells me this is the way that I need to be living my life going forward. Emotionally I know that even after I complete the Whole30 it is going to be hard because the environment around me won't have changed. All I can really do is just recommit to this lifestyle every day and do the best that I can. Having this forum and the Whole30 book to refer back to will go a long way in helping me stay committed.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. 

I hear you, AngiewGW. My hardest time is grocery shopping. It is hard to imagine why there is soooooo much junk food in grocery stores. It is has never bothered me before but now it seems insane. No wonder that's what our culture eats. It is 90% of the store. I know the standard grocery store layout is that fresh stuff is on perimeter but sometime I have to go to the interior (it is like a jungle) to get something. I just about ran to get out of there

Good morning guys,

great to see we are still together on this journey!!

I'm still waiting for my Tiger Blood to come, but I can say I've already noticed some good changes in my energy levels during the day and I believe I haven't been feeling better because I'm only sleeping 6-7hours/night.

Besides that, I can say I've been happier. I catch myself sometimes doing some little dance moves (Oiii? That's not me!!!) and yesterday I went to bed feeling so grateful for my day even though it was just like the other Sundays. On the bad side, I still have those cravings!! All I wanted last night was a slice of pizza!!!

Thinking about the future I haven't decided what to incorporate to my lifestyle, I guess the introduction phase will give me some hints, but I'd love to go gluten free not because of the gluten itself, but because I tend to overeat breads, cakes, pasta and pizza.

Looking forward to hearing more from the other members.

I am afraid of waking the sugar dragon.  He's hibernating.  Thinking even a piece of toast might awaken him.  Will be interesting re-introducing items.   My skin is much better and my stomach aches have gone away.  Wonder if that was dairy?  Anyway, let's try to enjoy this last week +/- and proceed carefully into the re-introduction phase.    have a great day!

UGH! The grocery store! I was just there this morning and I know what you mean AB_MN it is crazy the amount of "food" that is out there that is so bad. I have to keep repeating to myself "I don't want that" as I go through the store. It is hard when you have to go to the middle aisles and get the not so healthy things that other family members request. It is getting easier to ignore the other foods because I am not craving them anymore. 

I think I have decided to go straight to the two week reintroduction phase. I am going out of town for thanksgiving and I want to have that process over with so I can know what I need to avoid completely, if possible, and the other things that will probably be okay to indulge in over the holiday. I plan on sticking as close to the whole30 plan as I can over the holiday. I was then thinking about doing a short whole15 or 20 between thanksgiving and Christmas so I can be in better shape for the holiday and not wait until the first of the year to get back on track. We are staying home for Christmas so hopefully it will be easier to stay on plan than if I am travelling. 

The whole reintroduction is kinda worrisome. Sugar is a big problem for me as well and it doesn't take much to make my body start craving it again. With the holidays coming up that is going to be even more of a problem. But knowledge is power. So now that I know how my body reacts to these things then I am better able to steer clear of them. 

Have a great week. 

and someone recommended eating soft boiled eggs after work out   so I had two of those yesterday and they were really good compared to the traditional HARD boiled eggs.  followed instructions in whole30 book about how to cook them.  highly recommend them.  

Actually, the recommended post-workout meal is lean protein and optional carb, no fat. The yolk in eggs is a fat, so we would recommend using only the egg white as your protein post-workout.

I am planning on continuing with a paleo diet after I'm done with the whole 30. I will not be reintroducing sugar or grains. I do want to try some honey and butter, but I feel so good that I don't want to mess it up and have to do it all over again just to feel good.

Hello all. Great job on sticking with your Whole 30!! You're in the homestretch. Hang in there!

Here's my plan...

My first W30 was in May. I had a very successful and committed W30. Felt the tiger blood around day 15, and felt pretty awesome from day 10 onward. No cravings, mood swings, heartburn, stomach aches, joint pain etc.

The reason I need to stick pretty close to W30 for life is because I have an autoimmune disease. When I eat grains, and sugar I just feel crappy and my symptoms reappear. Recently I was also diagnosed with severe glaucoma in my left eye. I'm already loosing some peripheral vision. I'm only in my 50's so this is a bit disturbing. So, long story short, I need to stay away from grains and sugar, my body just can't handle the carbs. So basically I will be doing W30 for the rest of my life. Every now and then I do have non compliant foods, but to stay healthy I really shouldn't eat that way. That's why I will continue to eat the W30 lifestyle, with a "treat" thrown in every 30 days or so.

Hi Everyone,

I can't believe we are in the homestretch.  It finally feels easy to avoid sugar and non compliant stuff.  Deteremined not to mess things up at this point.  

This is my second W30.  My first was exactly one year ago.  I loved my results the first time and I am feeling really great this time as well.   This way of eating works for just works for me.

However, THIS time... I will do a deliberate and conscious reintroduction following the recommendations in It Starts With Food.   The first time around, I ended up with a W36 and then just added things back gradually paying no attention to what I was adding when.  Though I discovered that sugar/baked goods and snacky carbs ( like popcorn, tortilla chips and dried fruit) are binge triggers for me, I am unclear on how diary and gluten effect me.  

Prior to this W30 my energy was zapped and I was feeling depressed. Not sure if diary or gluten contribute to that.  I know sugar does.  I am just so grateful those feelings are gone.  

Like AngieWG and AB_MN,  I do not want to wake the sugar dragon.  I am so much happier with it in hibernation.  

Let's end this week really strong to maximize our results!

kellygirl 

Still going strong! I've really hit my stride. This really isn't hard for me right now. I've got meal planning down pat and I've got the size of my meals to a good size where I'm not hungry between meals. I've been experimenting with some new recipes that have mostly turned out great (except for the coconut Thai chicken soup...no bueno).

We've talked about our reintroduction and we're going to do the 10-13 day version. We're going to start with dairy on Wednesday and then we're going to do non-gluten alcohol on Saturday. We've already got our favorite Brie planned for Wednesday and I'm so ready for a glass of wine on Saturday. I just really hope neither of them make me feel crappy because they are 2 of my very favorite things!

Kellygirl I know what you mean about the roasted butternut squash. I made a big batch of that soup this week and it was so warm and cozy eating it. It really reminded me of fall. That is one of the new vegetables that I have tried and it turned out so amazing. I also bought a couple different varieties of sweet potatoes that I am going to try. 

Like ShoafieATC I feel like I have hit my stride. It is getting easier to make meals at home and when we do go out to dinner it is easier to make smart choices. 

I'm looking forward to the reintroductions next week. I have a pretty good idea that gluten, dairy and corn don't work for me. I going to do the 2 week plan and see how my body reacts to each food. It should be interesting. I have never started with a clean slate before so I am anxious to see my results.

I can't believe we have less than a week to go. Have a great day tomorrow. 

Good afternoon everyone, hope you're all strong on this journey.

I'm not on a Tiger Blood yet. It takes me so long to fall asleep even when I'm tired and when I wake up in the middle of the night it takes about an hour to sleep again. I don't know if this is a side effect of my OCD medication or my body not yet adjusted to the Whole30. Also, I still have some strong cravings! Not for sugar, but savory food like ham and cheese croissant or pizza!

I don't know if I should do a whole45 or if it's safe to start reintroduction on day 31st. I'm afraid of not seeing any response from my body when I reintroduce the food groups. Any thoughts??

Archived