Starting September 28 anyone else?

suzanyk

Everyone is making such good progress! Congrats on all of your successes! I'm still working on my snacking habit. I know that this is a behavioral issue more that a nutritional issue. I have made progress - I'm not waking in the middle of the night to eat. But I have so much work to do behaviorally and mentally that I am seriously considering making this a Whole 60 or a Whole 90. I know that this time 30 days isn't enough to reset me. I'm strangely at peace with this because I have been out of control long enough to enjoy the ability to finally be in control. Thanks for all of the support. This column grounds me.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is great to see everyone making such great choices and having success on the Whole30!

The past couple of days have been hard because of the temptation all around me. I have been reminded yet again how hard it is to be the only one in my family eating this way. The kids are home for fall break and out comes the brownie mix. UGH! It is hard when they are eating all of the things that I love. I have chosen to stick with my plan but it isn't easy. I actually have to leave the area when they are eating so I'm not tempted. 

I was even tempted with the scale this morning. My husband got out the scale to check his weight. I was so used to checking my weight every morning that I had to stop myself this morning. I remember what AB_MN said about taking a vacation from the scale. I really like that and the feeling of freedom that it gives me that I don't have to worry about that for now. 

Now that we are almost half way through this Whole30 I am having to really shore up my resolve to stay the course and stick to my eating plan. I know I can do it I just wish it was a little easier. But knowing that others are probably going through the same things helps me stick to it and see it through.

Have a great day everyone. 

Good job everyone! Sounds like you all are rocking this W30!

I've had a rough weekend, simply because I've come down with a cold. Because of this I haven't had much of an appetite and things just don't taste as good when you can hardly breathe. I've been forcing myself to eat 3 meals a day. Luckily, I made a big pot of chili on Friday so I haven't had to do much meal prep. I did make a bunch of beef bone broth this morning in the pressure cooker to have later. Hopefully that will help strengthen my immune system to I can kick this thing. I was supposed to go to a church picnic this afternoon and I was assigned to bring a dessert (how ironic)! Last night I threw together a really big fruit salad in hopes that I would feel better today, but I don't so now I've got this large fruit salad in the fridge. I had a small bowl for breakfast, but I need to make sure I keep my portions small because it is definitely a 'food with no breaks' because its so tasty and sweet. Its just apple, oranges, peaches, strawberries, grapes, and bananas with lemon juice. Technically compliant, but also a huge bowl of sugar.

I'm planning on going shopping for the week when my boyfriend gets back from traveling later this evening. I am going to try out this pressure cooker mocha-rubbed pot roast this week. I found it on http://nomnompaleo.com/post/115686948218/pressure-cooker-mocha-rubbed-pot-roast, but I believe the original recipe is from Performance Paleo by Stephanie Gaudreau. Anybody got any good recipes that I could add to my menu this week?

Merg. Thanks for the positive thoughts

KellyGirl- I had a house salad with my own oil/vinegar and had them make a grilled chicken breast using OO, topped with marinara. They gave me two breasts!! They were small so I ate both. NO BREAD! No pizza bread! No pasta! No wine! Yay! I didn't feel funny asking for a special order; it's my money! They didn't mind one bit.

It sure was a beautiful day today!  I hope everyone was able to get outside and enjoy!

So, I haven't noticed it in my appearance, but as was doing yard work today it hit me...

I feel lighter.  Getting up and down is easier.  My back isn't hurting.  I haven't needed to "take a break" because I'm out of breath!

Wow!  What a great discovery!  Thank you Whole 30!!!!  Excited to keep going and find out how much change the next 15 days brings!

Have a great week everyone!  Those of you who are feeling unmotivated, please stick with it...I know you can do it!  We're halfway there!   

So I've been feeling a bit bored by my food. I haven't really been enjoying it lately. This weekend has been really wet and cooler. I really wanted my go to comfort, snuggle in a blanket food which is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. I made it for the kids for dinner, and I decided to experiment with making a tomato soup I could eat. I took tomato sauce, and added chicken fat and geletin from my bone broth. I made cashew cream in my blender with a little red onion added, and added it to e tomato sauce mixture. Heated till it was thick and bubbly. OMG! It tastes just like creamy tomato soup! I made zuchinni egg fritters to go with it and I enjoyed my meal so much!

Can't believe we are just about half way through! I start my new job tomorrow. Wish me luck!

So grateful we are all still at this. Starting week 3 today. Congrats all on being almost half way done everyone!

I too have been wondering if 30 days will be long enough. Still getting hang of meal template but for sure have adhered to compliant foods. Cooked up a bunch of sweet potatoes, beets and Brussels sprouts last night to have in fridge and ready to take for lunches this week. I, too, have kids and it makes me cringe to realize how their eating habits have evolved since they were little and ate so healthy. Now, it is lots of snacks and junk. Pretty much like my habits two weeks ago. Hoping they pick up on some of these changes. Actually, I made kale chips last night and one teenager ate them ALL before I could even have one. So maybe some of this will appeal to them.

So here is a question, I am going to a fancy restaurant soon. I know to order something like salmon but do I need to call ahead and request it not be cooked in butter? Even though you order something compliant, you have know idea what they do to it before they bring it out. Any ideas?

Oh- one more thing... Made clarified butter this weekend. Amazing!!!!! Put on some carrots and green beans from garden. Hadn't had butter in decades and it was heavenly!!!!! Growing up in low-fat culture butter was "bad" but so happy to have even a tablespoon again. Soooo tasty and satisfying.

So here is a question, I am going to a fancy restaurant soon. I know to order something like salmon but do I need to call ahead and request it not be cooked in butter? Even though you order something compliant, you have know idea what they do to it before they bring it out. Any ideas?

You could just make this request as part of ordering with your server. You're best bet is to request dry-grilled, with no seasonings other than salt and pepper (you don't want to end up with soybean oil, for example, either).

As long as you do your due diligence with asking all the right questions on cooking fats, marinades, sauces and seasonings, you're good. We don't expect you to follow your server into the kitchen. :-)

NSV! A coworker asked if I had lost weight because my tummy was looking very svelte! I obviously don't know if or how much I've lost but I'm obviously doing something right!

Also, I had that cold this weekend and I've never bounced back from an illness so fast. It just goes to show that if you give your body the proper tools for health it can take care of itself pretty quickly.

Yippee for the NSV Shoafie!!!

Tara! Great job on making your own tomato soup! Sounds delish!

Lyric-sounds like you're experiencing many NSVs. Congrats!

Bored with your meals? I've changed things up by not eating normal breakfasts or lunches by eating eggs for lunch and chicken for breakfast. I add hot sauce for a change and try new veggies I've never had before. Some are a great surprise while others are yucky :-)

Happy 15!

Good Morning Day 15!

It seems we are all experiencing some of the same challenges at this point, dining out, parties, baked goods temptations and food boredom.   Reading how everyone is facing those potential saboteurs is helping me to deal with them myself.  The forum is a critical element to success for me. Was the first W30 I did a year ago, is now. 

Jeanie793- followed your lead on the chicken dish at the Italian restaurant in SF last night.  It was the Columbus Day Parade in North Beach so could not say no to pasta and pizza for kids and hubby.  I explained to the waitress I was off dairy, sugar and grain.  She obviously gets this a lot because she immediately suggested a sautéed chicken breast in broth with capers and lemon and lots of veggies on side. Stayed far away from the focaccia and tiramisu.  Felt fantastic when I woke up this morning.  No food or wine hangover!!

Tata- good luck with the new job today. Grilled cheese is a staple around my house so I know what a temptation that is!   Congrats on making a wonderful tomato soup to satisfy yourself compliantly. 

A friend who is a nutrition/fitness coach told me to do the Whole30 in 3D with Desire, Determination, Discipline...  Discipline is the most important D from her perspective. As much as that word sound punitive, in this sense it's important and freeing.  It makes our choices in this process clear and easy. Not to mention the discipline it takes to say no thank you to things that looks so yummy but are not W30 compliant and t ask servers how food is prepared and to plan, shop and prep food at home in advance etc... 

Thank you all for your shares.  Wishing you a happy and disciplined day.  After 15 days, we know it's possible.  ;)

kellygirl

You could just make this request as part of ordering with your server. You're best bet is to request dry-grilled, with no seasonings other than salt and pepper (you don't want to end up with soybean oil, for example, either).

As long as you do your due diligence with asking all the right questions on cooking fats, marinades, sauces and seasonings, you're good. We don't expect you to follow your server into the kitchen. :-)

I will do that.  thank you.  i appreciate the advice and especially wording "dry-grilled".  

I have a night out coming up too and was wondering that exact thing,,,how to correctly order steak.  I too greatly appreciate the phrasing "dry-grilled"...easy peasy!  Thanks!!  I will feel confident that my server understands what I'm asking for, plus, it's concise and won't draw a lot of attention.  Does anyone else have similar ordering tips?  I haven't eaten out yet for fear of losing that control.  I feel bad that I'm only receiving tips, and seem to have none to offer!  Appreciate you all for taking the time to share your knowledge!

WOW!  Day 16. I find myself losing track of the days, which is a good thing.  I feel that it is becoming just part of my life.  My husband is doing it with me, which make it a lot easier!  I have to give credit to anyone that is doing it alone. Great job!  

I feel like i am eating too many potatoes.  Actually more than we normally would.  They are an easy thing to make.  Is there a limit on how many times a week we should have them?  

Great to hear from everyone!! I'm super proud of us! 

I haven't faced a real challenge yet. But my one is coming: I have two bday parties (kids) and a wedding on the next weeks. I'm worried cause they'll have cattering services which usually means you can't have special orders. I'm expecting lots of fried food, cheese and cake/sweets. I'll think about all the successful stories I read here and be strong! 

I'm also on the group of people feeling hungry between meals. I've tried eating more but it just feels like my stomach isn't big enough! Also, I have classes twice a week after work, so my meals would be at 7am, 12pm, 6pm and 11pm. The problem is this last meal. I can't have a proper meal that late because I have acid reflux, and snacking means an unbalanced meal, like a fruit our nuts. Does anyone have a good advice??

Also, which are good ways to sneak veggies on my bfast? I'm fine eating eggs, meat or whatever, but salads and veggies are a bit too much for me in the morning.

SarahR - I couldn't find the exact piece that I read (maybe it was on the book), but I'f I'm not wrong (please, some moderator correct me), it's ok to have potatos and starchy veggetables, but the right amount depends on how active you are. 

In addition, many come to the Whole30 and under-eat. You’ve swapped out calorie-dense grains, legumes, and sugary processed foods with lower-calorie vegetables and fruit, and if you don’t make those calories up somewhere (protein, fat, starchier veggies, and fruit), you’re going to be under-fed. Or maybe you’re fat-phobic, undereating the macronutrient you’re trying to teach your body how to use. Or carb-phobic, eating tons of leafy greens, broccoli, and cauliflower and not eating enough potatoes, winter squash, or fruit to fuel your activity.

Action Item: First, make sure you’re eating enough. Use our Meal Template to make sure your plate has enough protein, veggies, fruit, and fat. If you’re active, make sure you’re eating enough starchy vegetables (like potatoes, winter squash, pumpkin, and beets) and fruit to fuel your activity level. (In fact, feel free to try a little experiment right off the bat, even if you’re not active—try adding half a sweet potato hash at breakfast, some beets and berries to your salad at lunch, and butternut squash soup with dinner and see if you feel better. If that’s the culprit, you’ll notice an improvement within a day.) Also check your fat quantities—make sure you’re adding our recommended amounts per meal.

Full piece: http://whole30.com/2015/09/katt/

WOW!  Day 16. I find myself losing track of the days, which is a good thing.  I feel that it is becoming just part of my life.  My husband is doing it with me, which make it a lot easier!  I have to give credit to anyone that is doing it alone. Great job!  

I feel like i am eating too many potatoes.  Actually more than we normally would.  They are an easy thing to make.  Is there a limit on how many times a week we should have them?  

If you have blood sugar issues or lead a sedentary lifestyle the recommendation would be to restrict potatoes to every other day, otherwise the recommendation would be for at least a fist sized serving per day - those who suffer from anxiety or depression will benefit from more, as will those who are particularly active.

My advice would always be to eat a rainbow of vegetables to ensure you're getting a good variety of nutrients.

I'm also on the group of people feeling hungry between meals. I've tried eating more but it just feels like my stomach isn't big enough! Also, I have classes twice a week after work, so my meals would be at 7am, 12pm, 6pm and 11pm. The problem is this last meal. I can't have a proper meal that late because I have acid reflux, and snacking means an unbalanced meal, like a fruit our nuts. Does anyone have a good advice??

Also, which are good ways to sneak veggies on my bfast? I'm fine eating eggs, meat or whatever, but salads and veggies are a bit too much for me in the morning.

Blended soups are a good way to get more veggies in at breakfast - serve with breakfast sausage, meatballs or something like chicken drumsticks with guac/mayo on the side so as not to miss out on protein/fats.

Have you tried a spoonful of Apple Cider VInegar after meals for your reflux? A digestive enzyme? Or some fermented foods? All will help... Are you taking four meals on the days you train? Or three plus a postWO?

Hi Gang-

? perhaps for moderator...   I like to drink green smoothies in the morning and I know that is encouraged so I have been refraining for the most part.   Today I did make one for breakfast along with an egg and 1/2 an avocado.

Would this be considered enough fat,protein, carbs and a good potential breakfast when time is limited?

Smoothie ingredients ( went heavy on greens to reduce sugar content)

3 cups spinach/kale combo

2 stalks celery

1/2 cucumber

couple broccoli stalks

1/2 pear

1/2 apple

6 red grapes

tumeric root / ginger root/ cinnamon

1 C water

Thank you!

kg

Hi Gang-

? perhaps for moderator...   I like to drink green smoothies in the morning and I know that is encouraged so I have been refraining for the most part.   Today I did make one for breakfast along with an egg and 1/2 an avocado.

Would this be considered enough fat,protein, carbs and a good potential breakfast when time is limited?

Smoothie ingredients ( went heavy on greens to reduce sugar content)

3 cups spinach/kale combo

2 stalks celery

1/2 cucumber

couple broccoli stalks

1/2 pear

1/2 apple

6 red grapes

tumeric root / ginger root/ cinnamon

1 C water

Thank you!

kg

Sorry, but going heavy on the greens does not reduce the sugar content. Reducing the fruit reduces the sugar content.

Eggs, when they are your only source of protein in a meal, should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand withoout dropping, which is 3-4 for most females so you are definitely short on protein.

Coconut water, whilst compliant, is a light fruit juice and really only for use in endurance events, or for those whose jobs leave them more prone to dehydration.

Liquid food leaves us less satiated than solid food because it is the act of chewing which kick starts the digestive process, so your body isn;t really aware that it's even ingested this amount of food meaning you'll end up eating more.

There are many meals that can be prepped in advance & eaten on the hop (a flask of soup with some chicken/meatballs etc on the side, egg/veg/meat muffins etc) - all of which would be a superior choice to a smoothie.

Whole30 is about so much more than eating compliant foods - it's about changing our relationship with food, ditching bad habits & developing new better ones.... It's only 30 days (actually, now it's only 15) - I have every faith that you can go that long without the smoothies.

Suzanyk - 

omelets are great way to get in some veggies for breakfast.  I like mushrooms (try shitake sliced as they seem to cook quicker than the button mushrooms) and onions are good.  Sometimes i throw in stuff already cooked (like i cooked up some brussel sprouts a few days ago in oven).    I've kind of hit the wall with scrambled eggs so did I made eggs over easy today which was kind of a change.  

and someone recommended eating soft boiled eggs after work out   so I had two of those yesterday and they were really good compared to the traditional HARD boiled eggs.  followed instructions in whole30 book about how to cook them.  highly recommend them.  

I appreciate that the moderators helping us out.  I'm sure it's a ton of time for them to read all these posts but I personally am grateful to either learn something new or be reminded of something about how program works.  

I did read both books and browsed web site but it's a lot to take in.  So, many thanks to you jmcbn for your guidance. 

Blended soups are a good way to get more veggies in at breakfast - serve with breakfast sausage, meatballs or something like chicken drumsticks with guac/mayo on the side so as not to miss out on protein/fats.

Have you tried a spoonful of Apple Cider VInegar after meals for your reflux? A digestive enzyme? Or some fermented foods? All will help... Are you taking four meals on the days you train? Or three plus a postWO?

it's not a workout day. Twice a week I have design classes from 7pm to 10:30pm. Because meal3 was at 6pm (right after work), by the time I'm home late at night (11pm) I'm starving again, but I don't want a meal4 because that would make me too full and my acid reflux won't be happy.

But thanks for all the tips

it's no a workout day. Twice a week I have design classes from 7pm to 10:30pm. Because meal3 was at 6pm (right after work), by the time I'm home late at night (11pm) I'm starving again, but I don't want a meal4 because that would make me too full and my acid reflux won't be happy.

But thanks for all the tips

If you're genuinely hungry try to eat something - as AB_MN said above a soft boiled egg should be enough to take off the edge of that hunger & not be too difficult to digest, or too high in fat to irritate the reflux...

Archived