Ocean Spray 100% Cranberry Juice

courtneyl130

I love cranberry juice!  I know on Whole30 fruit juices with out added sugars or off plan ingredients are allowed and should be consumed in moderation, but I love cranberry juice!

Specifically I love Ocean Spray 100% Cranberry Juice. 

I don't have the exact ingredient list in front of me, but it has juice from concentrate, water, natural flavors and ascorbic acid.

Can I drink???

Even if it is just straight cranberry juice, fruit juices are really high in natural sugar and won't help you in terms of blood sugar stabilization, hunger, etc. It would be OK to add a splash of cranberry juice to still or sparkling water for the flavor, but not to drink it straight.

Juices are all the sugar without the fiber. I used to drink a glass of orange juice every morning for DECADES. I loved my orange juice, and I could drink a HUGE glass of it in record time.

During my first Whole30, I swapped in a real orange at the end of my breakfast every day, and I enjoyed that. But I eventually switched to a banana, which seems to help prevent leg and toe cramps (at least for me). When I'm not on a Whole30, I might have a glass of fresh-squeezed OJ when out for brunch; but otherwise I never drink the stuff anymore, and I really don't miss it.

You will amaze yourself with your ability to give up things you thought you couldn't live without. Give it a try!

From the label I found on line (because it wasn't on the Ocean Spray website) there are 36 grams of naturally occurring sugars in one cup of juice, from a combination of grape, cranberry, and apple juices (which are actually a combination of filtered water & juice concentrates... not sure what the "natural flavors" they list are) and this will set you up quite nicely for a spike in your insulin. That's for starters. 

Think of it this way.... if you chewed an orange, it would be somewhat related to orange juice. But if you chew a cranberry, it isn't anything like any cranberry juice you've ever had. Therefore... there are sugars added somehow, someway, so they can sell it to you. It might be 100% juice, but it's still a big hit of sugar.

Skip the stuff.

Archived