Define starchy veg

jlj80

I see most folks on here equating sweet potatoes as the primary starchy veg. Do winter squashes fall into this category? I assumed they did despite the fact that they are far less calorie and carb dense than potatoes. I'm finishing day 8 and have been eating a lot of roasted winter squash (like several cups a day) but very few potatoes and cutting out fruit as of today (I have sugar dragon issues). Just curious to get the groups thoughts. Thanks!

• Moderators

Yes, winter squashes are starchy vegetables. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squashes, root vegetables (turnip, yam, beet, carrot, etc.), jicama, pumpkin, and plantains are all good starchy vegetable choices.

If you are doing okay with the winter squash as your starchy vegetable, that's fine. If you were feeling exhausted or moody, it might be worth trying to include starchier options to see if it would help.

I'd like to read that GH CHRIS.. can you help me with the page number in the book for that? Either book will do.. I need to read it for myself for it to sink in.

I don't believe that specific recommendation is in the books: it's what we frequently recommend here in the forum as a baseline. That amount can increase, however, for people who are pregnant, nursing or extremely athletic, for example.

Because I love them and I'm hungry. I eat other veggies too but when I leave out the squash I'm always hungry later. Being hungry after meals is not fun as you all know! So I am hoping that because the squash is less carby than potatoes that it will be ok. One fist size serving a day (which is basically a cup) seems like very little-for squash at least.

Because I love them and I'm hungry. I eat other veggies too but when I leave out the squash I'm always hungry later. Being hungry after meals is not fun as you all know! So I am hoping that because the squash is less carby than potatoes that it will be ok. One fist size serving a day (which is basically a cup) seems like very little-for squash at least.

What does the rest of your plate look like for meals?  Are you getting in 1-2 palms of protein and the appropriate amount of compliant fat at each meal, per the meal template?

Are you pregnant, nursing, or very active, exercise-wise?

Are you consuming at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily?

hi. yes i am following meal template. here is a rough idea of some meals (i am on day 9 and was incorporating some fruit, but cut it out as of yesterday b/c i still see it creating too many issues for me)-

b1: 3 premade egg muffins with peppers and onions, 1/4c guacamole, big cup of fresh salsa (like pico de gallo) and winter squash and sauerkraut

b2: turkey chili that has peppers, onions, chunky tomato sauce and sweet potatoes cooked in it with 1/4 guac and bubbies sauerkraut

L1: big green salad with assorted raw veggies and chicken or tuna. some type of dressing that has oil in it (tessamaes or oil and vinegar), usually add some chopped nuts to salad also (may throw a little squash in here, but not usually)

D1: grilled chicken thights w/ cauli rice, squash and avocado

D2: meatballs with a lot of homemade tomato sauce and squash

i am a yoga teacher, but dont do a lot of strenuous exercise. i am also a mom to a 3 year old, so i definitely dont have a desk job, but still need to work on adding in more exericse. i do move a lot throughout the day thought. 

need to get water intake up. i know where it needs to be, but its not quite there yet. 

thanks!

I guess I don't see where the problem is here.  Carla and I already said on your other thread -- enjoy your squash.  

You are feeling good, staying satiated, having plenty of energy, and NOT relying on a bunch of potatoes and fruit.   It seems to me you are doing really well.  :)

I agree with Brewer5 that things look good, along with your statement to increase the water.

Note that salads aren't very satiating, so you may want to add cooked veggies to those to help keep you satisfied.

With the meatball dinner, get some fats in there as well.

Archived