bronnyd

Howdy! I'm starting again on Wednesday. Woohoo! This will be my er fourth? Technically my third as my third lasted something like 27 days.

Took summer off but basically was doing the whole foods paleo diet plan throughot -  just not for 30 days at a time. One thing I've noticed is that I'm eating way too many eggs. So my hope is this time around, I'll reduce the eggs and up the veggies and fresh fish/meat. I'm roasting a chicken with ginger tonight and making jello as that is so good for my gut. I just use Vital Proteins unflavored collagen with a little lemon juice or homemade kombucha for flavor.

Decided to start this Wednesday instead of tomorrow (MOnday the 26th) because I still have some goat cheese in the fridge and red wine in a bottle and am going to allow myself to enjoy that first. Want to get this going before Halloween party, which would lure me in with all those desserts and candy, which would only leave me feeling really sucky and sick. 

I would welcome anyone who wants to join me on or around this date for a Whole30. Let's doooo iiiiit!

• Moderators

I'm sorry. I don't think making jello is consistent with a Whole30. The ingredients are acceptable, but the form you are achieving is not. You can make bone broth to provide the nutrients that are so good for your gut, but recreating a familiar dessert food is a problem. 

I'll be starting on Wednesday too!!  One of the breakfasts I like to sub for eggs is a sweet potato hash.  It's grilled onions, sausage, rosemary and sweet potatoes.  Easy to make, if the sweet potatoes are already cooked.  

Bummer about the gelatin - I wonder if there's a way to make it compliant?  I also find my gut really likes it!

I will be making some compliant soup, lots of prepped veggies (just pull out the food processor and pre-chop lots of stuff...) and some potato salad.  

I'll be starting on Wednesday too!!  One of the breakfasts I like to sub for eggs is a sweet potato hash.  It's grilled onions, sausage, rosemary and sweet potatoes.  Easy to make, if the sweet potatoes are already cooked.  

Bummer about the gelatin - I wonder if there's a way to make it compliant?  I also find my gut really likes it!

I will be making some compliant soup, lots of prepped veggies (just pull out the food processor and pre-chop lots of stuff...) and some potato salad.  

Hi Jennifer, 

Do you have a recipe for the sweet potato hash? Sounds delicious. I just  started today and I am also worried about too many eggs. Thanks! 

Lots of folk add gelatin to their morning tea/coffee...

I have a question, if you've never eaten something like Jello as a dessert, how is that breaking the rules? Jello was never a dessert for me, the texture does not remind of of dessert or even candy, i find it unpleasant because it reminds me of hospital stays where the only food you're allowed to consume following an operation is jello because it is super easy to digest. I've never consumed jello as a treat, only as a necessity as an easy access to calories in a palatable and easy to digest format. 

Hi Tom I've done three W30s and have talked about jello before. I do not make it for dessert. I make it because it is good for my gut. Jello is good for you.. Better for you with lemon juice. I've tried adding it to my tea but it's not enough. Plus it gets all goopy with constant stirring needed.

If you think making jello with complaint ingreds is noncompliant then I'm going to have to pull out. That's like saying making chocolate chili in place of real chili is like eating beans.  Are the lara bars still compliant?

Great Question Erica!  I don't normally eat gelating either...  I actually make my own vitamin squares - I'll add vitamin c powder, calcium/magnesium... it just makes it more likely that I'll take it...  

The sweet potato hash is a great way to get in any types of spices you like.  I love it with rosemary and onion but here's another recipe:

http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2014/11/sweet-potato-skillet-hash/

There are a bunch of other recipes around the web.  If the sweet potatoes are precooked, its pretty quick to make - just saute the sausage and onion and then add whatever else you want when the sausage/onion are mostly done....

I have a question, if you've never eaten something like Jello as a dessert, how is that breaking the rules? Jello was never a dessert for me, the texture does not remind of of dessert or even candy, i find it unpleasant because it reminds me of hospital stays where the only food you're allowed to consume following an operation is jello because it is super easy to digest. I've never consumed jello as a treat, only as a necessity as an easy access to calories in a palatable and easy to digest format. 

Then why would you want to eat it? Whole30 is as much about changing your relationship with food and how you fuel your body as it is eating compliant for 30days.

Hi Tom I've done three W30s and have talked about jello before. I do not make it for dessert. I make it because it is good for my gut. Jello is good for you.. Better for you with lemon juice. I've tried adding it to my tea but it's not enough. Plus it gets all goopy with constant stirring needed.

If you think making jello with complaint ingreds is noncompliant then I'm going to have to pull out. That's like saying making chocolate chili in place of real chili is like eating beans.  Are the lara bars still compliant?

I use the jelly that forms on the top of bone broth for adding to all sorts of savoury dishes - no reason to try & disguise the flavour, I can add plenty, and I still get all the benefits.

Larabars are still compliant, and still for emergency use only. However IMHO if, two days prior to starting your Whole30, you for-see that you may have some emergencies I think you can plan to have some real food on hand.

I'm not trying to be awkward here by the way - I'm just trying to help you get the most from your Whole30.

Then why would you want to eat it? Whole30 is as much about changing your relationship with food and how you fuel your body as it is eating compliant for 30days.

well i found a lot of things unpleasant before i started whole30...and still do..thought part of the point was to change how you view foods. so if jello is a food that is easy to digest and good for you, and doesnt have the psychological ill effects of reminding you of desert, introducing it into my diet to me is not different than introducing say, steamed veggies, which i also find unpleasant, but thats a good option when you're eating out and trying to stay compliant :3

PS I'm going to continue to make my compliant jello as I do not see anywhere that it is noncompliant in the rules - and like I said before I've made it and discussed it in past forums without being told it was not ok.

Jello is much easier than bone broth, although bone broth is also very yummy. But I do not have the time or inclination this week to make bone broth just yet. Plus, you have to heat it up. Jello you can just grab and go for busy lives like mine.

I gotta try that other sweet potato hash recipe this is the one I follow and I love it for its apple-cinnamon flavor :D

SO good with a fried egg on top but usually i just make a huge batch and eat it during the week for breakfast along with my protein

also i leave out the maple and dont use bacon since i cant find a compliant one yet

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/04/19/apple-cinnamon-maple-bacon-sweet-potato-hash/

PS I'm going to continue to make my compliant jello as I do not see anywhere that it is noncompliant in the rules - and like I said before I've made it and discussed it in past forums without being told it was not ok.

Jello is much easier than bone broth, although bone broth is also very yummy. But I do not have the time or inclination this week to make bone broth just yet. Plus, you have to heat it up. Jello you can just grab and go for busy lives like mine.

if you dont want to heat up the broth, try perpetual soup, ready to go at any time!

http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetual-soup-the-easiest-bone-broth-youll-make/

just takes a bit of effort tweaking it - for example the veggies you use and how long you put them in, how much broth to remove each day and replace with filtered water so it doesnt get too strong, how often and how long to boil it before bringing it back down to a simmer (in my crockpot, i use low to boil it, but keep it on warm) 

easy to remove bone broth any time, just put a fine mesh strainer in there, and ladel it right out from the crock pot (much easier than trying to strain it as you pour it into your container) 

get a thermos. my only complaint is that the bone broth alone is not always so yummy, but its a great source of nutrients

well i found a lot of things unpleasant before i started whole30...and still do..thought part of the point was to change how you view foods. so if jello is a food that is easy to digest and good for you, and doesnt have the psychological ill effects of reminding you of desert, introducing it into my diet to me is not different than introducing say, steamed veggies, which i also find unpleasant, but thats a good option when you're eating out and trying to stay compliant :3

In your original post you said that you find jello unpleasant, and you've eaten it purely out of necessity as easy access to calories in a palatable and easy to digest format.

The vast majority of your posts refer to food in the same way - choking food down purely for the nutrients before you feel sick.

I understand that you are living with Crohns but I think that you attiude towards food, and the language you use to describe it, would need to be more positive so that your relationship with food can also become more positive.

Don't force yourself to eat food that you find unpleasant. Find foods that satiate you & that you enjoy - roast your veg for starters - and if that means not eating out for 30days to avoid the unpleasant steamed veg whilst improving your overall health then surely that wouldn't be a bad thing?

Don't force yourself to eat food that you find unpleasant. Find foods that satiate you & that you enjoy - roast your veg for starters - and if that means not eating out for 30days to avoid the unpleasant steamed veg whilst improving your overall health then surely that wouldn't be a bad thing?

yep, totally agree, sometimes eating out is unavoidable and hopefully wont need to do it again soon. I'm working on finding very tasty things so that I can enjoy the whole30, but I also recognize if I want to do the whole30 to help my Crohns, I'd be eating a lot of things I dont want to or don't like because there are just no other options.

Right now, I'm doing the whole30 primarily to help kick sugar cravings to the curb. I don't think I can do a diet for Crohns if I'm still craving candies/cookies/cakes/icecream every. day. I want to be able to enjoy treats now and then, but before I started the whole30, treats were the norm for me, not a special occasion.

I'm making an effort for the whole30 to "fix" my relationship with food. Once the relationship is fixed, I might be ready to do a diet specifically to help with crohns, which means eating in a way I really do not WANT to eat, at all. Just reading the intro diets to GAPs and SCD, or thinking about doing the AIP for the whole30, makes me gag a bit, I'm sort of joking, but I don't really want to eat pureed veggies with no added sauces. I dont want to go without nightshades. I dont want to eat the same thing every day, every meal. 

But before the whole30, heck, just a few months ago, if you asked me, I said I wouldn't want to give up a lot of things I'm changing my mind on. So I believe it just takes some time, I need to let my tastebuds adjust, and I need to get off the sugar.

Right now, I'm doing the whole30 primarily to help kick sugar cravings to the curb. I don't think I can do a diet for Crohns if I'm still craving candies/cookies/cakes/icecream every....

I think if you can fix this you'll be surprised how much your emotional attachment to sugar, and food in general, will change.

Lots of people discover during reintro that sugar messes with their emotions & makes them sad. It also makes them crave more sugar - and it's a vicious cycle - and a highly inflammatory one.

As I've said before fat is your friend  ;)

Her Erica - for a while now I've been doing the low SCD diet. They have a "legal/illegal" list of foods that has really helped my gut heal.

Many of their foods aren't W30 compliant but this is just FYI for after W30. I don't have crohns but I bet this diet would help. It doesn't have to be forever. For a long time I couldn't eat sweet potatoes or avocado and still have to watch them - but I can have them now. Same with tomatoes. I found myself eating lots of fish, chicken soup, veggies in many tasty fashions, and eggs, wayyyy too many eggs, bacon and sausage galore. Yes fat is your friend - in moderation like anything else. 

In prepping for the official start of W30 tomorrow, I've got salmon, a whole chicken baked with ginger and lemon, sausage, bacon, broccoli, spinach, lettuce for wraps and salads, tuna, homemade mayo and ings for this awesome looking rustic bacon and pumpkin soup. Many of the ings I purchased at Trader Joes to make it affordable. Also the organic New Seasons (like Whole Foods but way less whole pocketboook). 

Oh my gosh!  I'm so glad to find you bronnyd!  I'm just about in tears and thought I was going to have to give up because I didn't get to start yesterday or today (or last week) as planned.  (long story - very frustrating - all the tears) 

But I thought that I'd waited too late and shouldn't start this close to Thanksgiving and end up doing the last day of W30 on Thanksgiving!  I don't know what's going to happen during the next 30 days, but I definitely can tell you I'm not strong enough (or 'mind-setted' enough) to be able to pass up my mom's T-day meal.  Maybe I'll feel so good by then I can be superwoman?  lol   How are you guys planning to handle that - if it's even a consideration for you?

I need this desperately so I'd sure like to plan on "go-time" tomorrow after all!  Think there's hope for me with my T-day issues?  :D

Um ok so Jinnufr you sound genuine but I wonder if you aren't some sort of pant to prove my stupidity at the calendar... because I goofed. I counted 30 days to Nove 25, day before TG and when I saw your post, I went to the calendar and now see that I am one day less than planned. That means on Nov 25, it's going to be 29 days and not 30. 

Don't know who'se in for a Whole 29 but I'm in. :) On TG day, I'm not going to reintroduce, just going to be conscious and eat the fixins and then some... 

Then take some activate charcoal, and a bit of magnesium, which helps every now and then and start the reintro on Nov 27th.  Thank you Jinnufr for your post. I'm afraid I can't help you with TG issues bec I don't plan on sticking with this plan on that day. 

Howdy All.. I've started a new topic - Starting today - doing a Whole 29 - Nov. 25. Join Me? - just wanted to clarify I'm no longer doing a Whole 30 - I miscounted the days on the cal. Stick around here though if you want to do a Whole 30. :)

And Jinnufr I meant to say  "plant" not "pant" - all in jest of course. Thank you for pointing out that 30 days actually goes through TG day. I hope you are able/willing to continue doing a Whole 29 with me and enjoy your mom's Thanksgiving cooking!

haha!  I'm not a plant - promise!    I tossed it around and decided that same thing about the timing.  I know the purists will say it's not "technically" a whole30 - and i know it's not without the re-intro, BUT I can't afford to be discouraged or to wait until after the holidays to start changing how I eat! But I also need this encapsulated program to stick to in my mind, otherwise I would've already caved!  I need the Whole 30 mindset and rules - if that makes any sense.

So call it what you will, but I'm going forward to do the best I can NOW!  Maybe it's not a Whole 30 but it's at least a 90% 29!  hahaha

I'll find you in the other thread soon!  :D

Archived