Accidental hydrogenated soybean oil

Beb1016

It's day 8 of my whole30 and a friend, who is also on the whole30 with me, cooked steaks tonight and I had half of one before I asked them what seasoning they used and they didn't double check the ingredients and it had partially hydrogynated soybean oil in it. I've read the other forums where it says soybean oil is a definite restart but traces in spices are not as bad? I'm confused, do I need to restart and make it a whole38?

• Moderators

Whether something is accidental or not makes no difference to your body. The Whole30 makes no allowance for small amounts because even small amounts matter to some bodies. And you can't be sure if your body is one to which a small amount matters unless you eliminate the food 100 percent for 30 days. 

Whether it being accidental or not wasn't what I was calling into question. Obviously that wouldn't change how it affects my body. What I'm confused on is why for example in the post with Robin in response to partially hydrogenated soybean oil in garlic salt she said it wasn't necessary to start over but in instances with cooking in straight soybean oil it's an automatic restart. I have already decided to add on the 8 days and make it a whole38. I'm just trying to understand. Thanks so much for your help!

Kelsey - if you've only used this a couple of times on eggs, I wouldn't say that necessitates a start over. Continue on, lesson learned

• Administrators

Whether it being accidental or not wasn't what I was calling into question. Obviously that wouldn't change how it affects my body. What I'm confused on is why for example in the post with Robin in response to partially hydrogenated soybean oil in garlic salt she said it wasn't necessary to start over but in instances with cooking in straight soybean oil it's an automatic restart. I have already decided to add on the 8 days and make it a whole38. I'm just trying to understand. Thanks so much for your help!

Hi beb,

In the post below the one you referenced, our moderator Missmary tries to explain.  

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/16855-betrayed-by-garlic-salt/?p=192127

Basically in the case that you are referencing, there is a chance that the oil in the seasoning was not soy but was cottonseed which, while not ideal, is not cause for a restart.  

As missmary stated in her response to basically the same question, when there is grey area there is misunderstanding.  We can't question Robin as to her reasoning as she is no longer with Whole30, but we can safely say that whether you choose to restart or add days (which you've done and that's excellent!), we have to assume that your gut restarts.  That's the safest course of reasoning.

Does that help clear it up?

Archived