Lingonberry Jam as a side?

simmie

Is Lingonberry Jam (Paleo recipe) allowed on a dinner plate of meatballs and mashed potatoes?

There's a recipe for Paleo Swedish Meatballs that calls for Lingonberry Jam and Mashed Potatoes along with the Swedish Meatballs, but I'm not sure that the jam isn't recreating something from our S.A.D. days.  Or is this just considered the same as fruit when plated?

The jam is made from the following (basically boiled until it gets thick)

• 8oz (225 g) lingonberries (fresh or frozen unsweetened)
  • 1/2 sweet apple
  • 3 tablespoons water

• Administrators

I think this one is a bit of grey area.  Using a fruit as a condiment for meat (eg, applesauce, cranberries, the pineapple in pina colada chicken etc) is suitable.  If you have it and feel like all you want going forward is jam slathered on bananas and straight from the jar then it's probably not appropriate for your Whole30.

• Moderators

I make an apple and cranberry relish that is similar: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2010/12/cranberry-and-apple-relish/ 

This recipe was published in December 2010. I would no longer say it makes a great dessert because the whole concept of dessert is not compatible with a Whole30, but it does make a fine side dish within a meal. I like it cold with hot turkey or chicken. 

Archived