Day 1 today (11/13) and looking for some team mates!

KLRochester

Day 10 and going strong!!! OMG if you are feeling deprived and want something easy and amazing try the pork carnitas from the whole 30 book....ah-mazing! Take the extra step and make the guacamole mayo, serve it in the sweet potato boat. Seriously one of the best meals I've had in inappropriate long time, whole30 or not. Very rich, but very satisfying.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't say that my pants feel any looser yet....but I think I know the culprit...it's that sneaky sugar dragon... instead of grabbing a baked good or something else in the afternoon, I have been going for the dried fruit at work...

This week, I am going to try having a big glass of water first before I eat anything that's calling to me and see how that goes...hope everyone's week 2 is off to a good start! 

Better#13Stronger, have you tried making eggy muffins? I make a giant batch of them on Sunday and those are perfect for grab and go breakfast..

http://www.galonamission.com/paleo-breakfast-muffins-whole-30-approved/

I've had a bad cold for the last week. I haven't gone off plan, but I should admit that I probably cheat a bit with the fruits. Yesterday was the worst, and I couldn't sleep so I stayed up late watching Netfix while I coughed. I'm planning on flooding my body with water today and hopefully feeling better soon. 

Senseofsnow; i wanted to try those egg muffins but my muffin tin is ruined :( so I do a similar recipe just in one cooking dish and turn it into a "frittata"...not as easy to eat but still does the breakfast and leftovers job. Also, do you like kombucha? When I'm having a snack attack day I open one and slowly drink on it throughout the day. It helps me a lot with my cravings bc it's so carbonated and the flavor.

Wendy, that sucks you've been sick :( good for you for staying compliant though! If your sick your body probably can use the nutrients from the fruit?

Speaking of slaying the sugar dragon and too much fruit, my friend introduced me to (compliant) apple cider mixed with sparkling water, SO GOOD. we've been drinking sparkling water with fruit so I was trying to tell myself this 50/50 mocktail mix was the same thing, but I know it's not. I know we're not supposed to drink fruit juice. Think it's bad if I only have one a day? Or is it a SWYPO? I drank mine yesterday over the course of probably 20 minutes. The SWYPO thing regarding mocktails still confuses me. I feel like unless I drink it with a meal it is SWYPO. but waster with a meal is fine bc the food is so flavorful. But if I make a drink for after dinner watching tv...does that become SWYPO? URGH

Day 11!

• Administrators

Speaking of slaying the sugar dragon and too much fruit, my friend introduced me to (compliant) apple cider mixed with sparkling water, SO GOOD. we've been drinking sparkling water with fruit so I was trying to tell myself this 50/50 mocktail mix was the same thing, but I know it's not. I know we're not supposed to drink fruit juice. Think it's bad if I only have one a day? Or is it a SWYPO? I drank mine yesterday over the course of probably 20 minutes. The SWYPO thing regarding mocktails still confuses me. I feel like unless I drink it with a meal it is SWYPO. but waster with a meal is fine bc the food is so flavorful. But if I make a drink for after dinner watching tv...does that become SWYPO? URGH

Day 11!

I think you need to examine what is going on when you choose to have this drink and then see if it still fits with one of the goals of Whole30; redefining your relationship with food (and drink).  And for the record, it is definitely not recommended to mix any juice 50/50 with water.  It's a hit to your blood sugar and will keep any sugar cravings alive and kicking.

Better#13Stronger- La Croix is a W30 approved flavored sparkling water that I like. I also will make a cup of herb tea (raspberry or peppermint are my faves) then ice it down in my liter bottle. It's not as strong a flavor as iced tea but just enough flavor to keep me enthused about drinking water.  

Hey team! I had my first "eating all of the things" dream last night....brutal. I dreamed that I had a pint of beer at a bar, and then without realizing it, had consumed a giant bowl of mint ice cream. I actually started sobbing in my dream. "But I made it all the way to day 10!" I'm glad that wasn't real life.

Happy day 11! We are more than 1/3 of the way through.  :lol:

Hey all,

Yesterday was day 10. Things are definitely getting easier.

Cauliflower fried rice was ok. I used mushrooms and bell peppers, compliant bacon and coconut amigos. The recipe was from Nom Nom paleo. It was good freshly made but I found myself unwilling to eat the left overs. It was slightly sweet tasting. So I think it is just one of those things that I will make only one serving of when I am making my husbands fried rice.

I have Been having cravings for roasted butternut squash, which I saw prepared at a fancy grocery store. So I made at home it's great.

For me the big fear was being unable to quit diet coke. It has been so much easier not having sugar either. Very key learning for me.

We are on Day 11!! Look at us. :) 

zimmerak I have read mixed reviews for the cauliflower rice and was looking forward to your review. Thanks for sharing.

You mentioned cravings... I haven't actually had a craving since we started this thing. My appetite/love to eat all the time is slowly disappearing. I really enjoy eating when I'm doing it, but I don't really feel hungry or crave food anymore. I did get a little teary-eyed over some limited edition beer that I ran into yesterday (salted caramel coffee stout; you've got to be kidding me), but otherwise I haven't really desired anything in a while. I am already fearing being off of the Whole30 because I'm scared that I'm going to gain all the weight back and go straight back to midnight Ramen. But I trust the system and just have to know that it's going to work and that I'm strong enough to do this the healthy way and then make smart decisions about food when we're out.

I can't say that my pants feel any looser yet....but I think I know the culprit...it's that sneaky sugar dragon... instead of grabbing a baked good or something else in the afternoon, I have been going for the dried fruit at work...

Watch the dried fruit. Many are coated in sugar, sweetener or sulfur dioxide, any of which would make this food not compliant.

Congrats zimmerak! How did everyone else do? Yesterday was probably the hardest day yet. I think it was a mix of not being with family (we live out of state) or friends ( bc of whole 30 we thought it best to just cook for ourselves) yesterday was the first time I felt "punished" Or I guess truly deprived of alcohol. I guess its good that it took me 2 weeks and a holiday to feel that way, in the past I feel like that on day 2 when I'm trying to be healthy and give up alcohol. Also was really craving those stupid philsbury croissants that seemed to be in every commercial! Today is my day 15, so I'm halfway there!

Hey everyone! Congrats zimmerak and better#13stronger on your successful Thanksgiving meals and days. I feel you about wine -- I kind of wanted to throw a tantrum when the wine and pie were being passed around, because I wanted a taste of the chocolate and the whipped cream, and I wanted the warm buzz of a delicious glass of wine. But hey. You know what? We got through. And we are stronger because of it! I'd argue that nothing can change our relationship w/food as much as getting through a holiday of temptations! Right?

Do you guys have any fruit? I've been having it in little servings here and there. Yesterday I did Black Friday and had to eat a salad with grilled chicken (thank god) at the mall, and I got a little side bowl of fruit. Grapes taste like candy now that I haven't had sugar in 15 days!! It's incredible. Also, my clothes are fitting a lot better, and it felt really good to be able to try on some clothes yesterday without hating my body and consequently myself. Yay progress!

Katrina - I probably eat a piece of fruit a day usually at breakfast.  Sometimes I forget.  Which is amazing.The other day I was craving butternut squash which I roasted with salt.  I can feel that I have lost a little weight, my clothes are also more comfortable.  

This week I worry that my food plan is not as sustainable because, I did not plan as much as the last two weeks.  I need to rethink this weeks breakfast and make some salad dressings.

How's everyone doing?? We are really getting close now... over the halfway point and edging closer and closer to 30. I had a dream last night that I accidentally ate 2 donuts without realizing and had to start all over. SO frustrating. I woke up and realized that I didn't do it, but I've felt guilty all day. Perhaps I miss my Dunkin runs just a liiiiiittle bit?

I am trying all new food this week to keep things going and to keep being excited about this. I'm kinda down about the work parties I'm going to go to and the wine I won't be able to have. :( Oh well. Changing your life is more important than free wine...right?

zimmerak how did your food plan work out? Are you keeping up alright?

We're going strong!! I'm down to congratulating myself on only having "one more...Tuesday"! We have been freezing freezing and lot of leftovers but haven't gotten into them yet. Surprisingly. I can't believe we've cooked at least 2 meals a day for (as of today) 19 straight days! Makes me feel super proud. The last few days were super hard with not drinking. The longest I've gone is 10 days and I'm almost double that! But yesterday the cravings were pretty much non existent so I hope that continues.

I'm having fun on instagram posting my meals. If you want to follow me I'm stefn121. It's exciting to get feedback and support from the whole30 community.

My husband and I are already worrying about day 31, which I never thought I would. We're seriously considering keeping this up, plus wine haha. My birthday is the 18th, just a few days after we stop whole30, and not long enough away to fully correctly reintroduce. We are big foodies and normally spend celebrations eating amazing food for a few days in a new town. The thought of eating that much, and most likely non compliant, even after 30 days just sounds horrible. Which I guess is good! But kind of sad. But if it means I'm no longer looking at food as a celebration or reward, that is pretty major.

How are others handling the upcoming end? Thinking about it yet? Excited? Nervous?

Anyone feeling the tiger blood? I'm not yet :( although this process is feeling l, shall I dare say, natural? Maybe even easy?

Senseofsnow - Sorry to hear about the bad stress work call, etc.  Agree that scones are fabulous.  I am also a stress eather. I felt the stress eating call a lot  during the first week (1-2X/day) and only 1-2X the second week.  My Whole30 stress snack bag  is a combination of 1 oz nuts (mixed some salted), 0.5 oz dried unsweetened coconut, and 2 pieces of dried mango.  For me the comfort/stress eating is all about the texture  (crunchy/chewy/salty).  Since I have been stress eating for my entire life (53) I figure it's better to stress eat (a few times) on compliant foods and reduce the number of occurences while I get to zero stress eating instances... Tomorrow I am going to a market research location so I will probably have 2 bags with me as they have lots of junk there and the lunch will probably be non compliant.  Also taking grass fed beef stick and fruit.

Every day of eating better reinforces better eating habits.  

I am on day 18.  My two breakfast go to meals are:

1. Andouille (sugar free) sausage + roasted vegetables (premade on tray in fridge) A piece of fruit if I am still hungry at the end of eating that

2. Eggs over easy on a breakfast salad of some kind (today bed of spinach with Avocado/Tomato salsa) and  piece of fruit if I am still hungry at the end of eating that

My birthday is Dec 10.  I have asked my husband and daughter to create a fresh berry plate. (or we can postpone my birthday and have something after this is over.)

For me, filling out the formula with foods that I like is working.

Hey everyone! I love all the action on here lately. Thanks for being an active community of support. It really makes me feel good to know that we can update each other here on our progress.

senseofsnow - I'm sorry to hear that you fell off the wagon. Who here can't understand stress eating? I'm proud of you for starting over, though. What a tough decision that must have been to make. I'm glad you're on this journey!

better#13stronger - I'm following you on Instagram now! I'm excited to see lots of your food and deliciousness. I totally hear you about Day 31. My Day 31 falls on the ONLY day that my boyfriend and I have together to nibble on Christmas-y things together before he leaves town for three weeks, so I'm hoping that we can have small portions of regular favorites, mixed in with new, healthy favorites. After that I'm a little anxious about being strong/smart enough with my food choices to keep the cool, healthy lifestyle I have going on. Luckily there's a whole30 guide for getting back into the real world.

And I'm not sure if I'm feeling tiger blood yet. I cried yesterday because I got super hungry and I thought that this food by my office was compliant but it is NOT. I found a couple of (non-whole30 forum) articles about Moe's Southwest Grill that claimed it was compliant, but it's not. So I got my hopes up yesterday that I would get to eat fast food from somewhere with ingredients and stuff that I haven't gotten to eat lately, but nope! So, for the record, Moe's Southwest Grill is NOT WHOLE30 COMPLIANT (haha). They cook all of their protein in soybean oil, and the ground beef is the only exception to that....but for some reason it contains milk (ew?). 

Thanks for sharing recipes/ideas, zimmerak. Switching up the recipes is definitely the key to making this thing work without getting bored or feeling too deprived. 

Katrina, thanks for following me on Instagram!!! I am following you now too and LOVE your posts. This probably seems like forever ago but CONRGATS on fitting into that gorgeous peach (?) Colored dress. Those tight clothes victories are amazing and help (slightly) with my scale withdrawal. That hasn't gotten any easier for me :( I'm still obsessing over how much weight I'm losing, and can't seem to stop. We just booked a beach vacation 2nd week in Jan so I think the idea of a swim suite is keeping me stressed. I'll look in the mirror one time amazed with how great it look, then again in a few hours and swear I've gotten bigger. I'm trying to just focus on the fact that I can fit into my skinnier (not yet totally skinny) clothes, that I'm really loving the food in eating and not feeling deprived, sleeping better than I think I EVER have, and it's only been 20 days. That's a lot to be thankful for. Just have to keep remembering that!

About your day 31/last day with your bf....my husband and I were trying to plan our 1st day, should we do brunch with mimosas? Our favorite restaurant for dinner? Happy Hour tour? And then we both started getting anxious about going off plan and decided we are just going to play it by ear. If we WANT a mimosa, we can have one. But we don't need to force ourselves to have one just bc we can. Which I think is a big lesson for us. We'd often eat/drink just bc the opportunity was there. Brunch with friends = "must" start day drinking. Not on a diet = gorge yourself on crappy food! I like this idea of just eating what I want when I want it...why was that so hard for me to get before? My birthday is on the 18th, which doesn't leave us a lot of time to properly reintroduce :( happy Dec bday zimmerak!

Sense of snow I'm so impressed you're starting over! Good for you! Are you starting back right away or after the holidays?

I think we are going to (not go too crazy hopefully!) enjoy the rest of Dec and then do a whole 10 before our trip. We're going to try and do a 80/20 paleo lifestyle? Maybe? I need to look more into that. Is that like a one meal a week cheat? Or perfectly paleo but u can eat (fill in your can't live without non paleo addiction)? Anyone done it before?

• Moderators

For those of you thinking about after your Whole30, be sure to read through the resources in the Life After Your Whole30 section of the website for some tips -- there are some really interesting articles to help you determine what life might look like for you going forward, including a Guide to Nutritional Off Roading, and a three-part series written by Melissa Hartwig about how she eats.

Archived