Korea Tuna

thegoldengrahamgirl

Alright so I finally took the time to type out, letter by letter (or character by character), the Korean label on my canned tuna and translate it (so that I could stop whining about not being able to eat the tuna here because I don't know what's in it):

Ingredients and content: tuna 79% (wonyangsan), canola oil (Imported), purified water, purified fish oil 2% (18% imported) and vegetable juices.

Yay!  Not that canola oil is the best choice, but it's better than soybean oil.  And no evidence of sugar, although "vegetable juices" is pretty vague.

Do you figure it's compliant to eat?

Thanks!

-Lauren (GGG)

So much for my Hot Pepper Tuna, though.  I stopped translating after I got this far:

Ingredients and content: 50.3% Tuna (wonyangsan), pepper sauce 25.5% (sorbitol liquid, tomato paste (made in China), jeongbaekdang, 4.7% gocheut powder, garlic, pepper mix (soybean) glutamate...

D'oh!  At least I've been safely avoiding this one for the past two weeks.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

• Moderators

Alright so I finally took the time to type out, letter by letter (or character by character), the Korean label on my canned tuna and translate it (so that I could stop whining about not being able to eat the tuna here because I don't know what's in it):

Ingredients and content: tuna 79% (wonyangsan), canola oil (Imported), purified water, purified fish oil 2% (18% imported) and vegetable juices.

Yay!  Not that canola oil is the best choice, but it's better than soybean oil.  And no evidence of sugar, although "vegetable juices" is pretty vague.

Do you figure it's compliant to eat?

Thanks!

-Lauren (GGG)

I am sad about these ingredients, but if it is the best you can find, I guess it is okay.

I am sad about these ingredients, but if it is the best you can find, I guess it is okay.

I'm sad, too.  My local Costco used to carry Kirkland Signature White Chunk Tuna packed in water.  We had a massive stockpile but sadly it's gone and Costco doesn't stock it any more.

I prefer to eat actual fresh fish, but from time to time a convenience canned option is good. 

Thanks again,

-Lauren (GGG)

Archived