Senior in College Starting Jan 2016

Carlz

I'm looking to start the whole30 the first week of January.  I've been trying to get my health back on track ever since I came back from a semester abroad in May.  I had a great time enjoying the food in Spain, but created some poor habits that I have not been able to break 7 months later.  I gained 10 lbs abroad and literally haven't lost one.. or i'd lose a few and gain twice as much by the end of the week due to my sugar cravings and alcohol.  

I'm ready to take on this challenge.  I know it will be hard because I am about to start my last semester of college.  I hang out with people who drink often and who will probably think I'm nuts to take 30 days off.  But it won't be impossible and I know it will be so worth it in the end.  I am a Pure Barre fanatic and also want to get 4 classes in a week while on the whole30.  If anyone has tips for someone who is in college I'd love to hear them!  Excited to begin this journey to improved health :)

• Moderators

What sorts of tips are you looking for?  Do you live on campus or at home with your family?  Do you have cooking facilities or are you on a meal program at school?

The most important thing is the food prep/finding ways to eat Whole 30 and trying to manage your stress and sleep while you're in school. Luckily you're starting out at the beginning of a semester and not in crazy finals month, so you should have a relatively better time of it than if it was at the end of a school year.

As far as drinking, if your friends give you a hard time, just tell them you'll have a drink with them in 30 days and enjoy a soda water with lime.  Some people actually report that it's easier to just not go out for the 30 days... I'm one of those people altho I hardly go out at all anyway, but I'm not in college so it's probably a lot easier said than done... 

If you're doing high intensity workouts (not sure if Barre is considered high intensity) then you'll want to play around with pre and post workout meals in addition to the template meals that you're having three times a day.

Linked below in my signature are links to the popular resources such as the meal template (including the pre and post workout recommendations) as well as some shopping lists.

Good luck!!

Congrats to you, Carlz, for planning to take on this challenge!  There's no time like the present when it comes to your health, and the earlier (a.k.a. younger) you can do it, the better it will serve you for the rest of your life.

Tips are dependent on your situation.  Plan ahead and have food available in bulk and/or convenience packages (either sold that way or packed by you that way!).  Have a plan for a social events (what are you going to eat/drink?  Will you eat in advance?).  Be prepared to give a short "pitch" about the Whole30 if someone is genuinely interested (many eyes glaze over; others  may want to challenge or mock you), or just learn to divert the conversation.

Good luck and see you in January!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Carlz!  I'm also starting my Whole30 on 1/1/16.  I don't know how much college-specific help I can be but maybe we can keep each other on track!  Good for you for committing to it :)

Would love to help keep each other on track!  I'm actually starting tomorrow 1/ 4 now.  Hope your whole30 is going well so far!

Thank you everyone!  I'm still home for the holidays until the end of this week but normally I live in an apartment at school and cook all of my own meals.  Most of the meals I make are extremely healthy.  I'm more worried about putting an end to snacking and overcoming my sugar addictions.  While i love vegetables, i also loveeee chocolate..and baked goods & CHEESE! all snacks in general are just very tempting..   I'm hoping that eating larger meals will help me feel more satisfied and thus, snack less.  I used to eat small meals in an attempt to lose weight but that hasn't worked at all for me for the past 4 months and just leaves me feeling unsatisfied.  I also believe that I was under a lot of stress last semester with my classes and homework load and that contributed to my unhealthy snacking.  I expect for the first couple of weeks of classes to  be lighter and I am also taking much easier courses.  I will try to be more organized so that I do not find myself in a stressful situation and ruin my whole30! 

I was able to get my mom on board (yay!) and we are starting tomorrow 1/4 and both very excited.  

I'm making the 7.5 hour drive back to school this Saturday 1/9 and am trying to plan out my road trip food.  I was thinking I'd leave around 9 a.m. and eat a filling veggie omelette right before I go.  Then maybe I'll buy a lunchbox that keeps food cold and make a tuna salad on top of greens and bring a banana and handful of cashews in case I get hungry later?  I'm driving myself so I can stop and eat whenever I need to.  What do you guys think?  Any road trip snack ideas?  Thanks!

Nuts are a good car snack!  I'd probably grab some baby carrots or cherry tomatoes for the road, those are pretty portable too.  And/or cut up some less one-hand-friendly things that morning, like peppers, celery, cucumber, apples, pears.  That's a long drive, you might want to do some research ahead of time for places where you could stop for a full meal on the way.

I'd also suggest shopping for some whole30-friendly things before heading back to school, and bringing them with you.  That way, when you get there, you'll already have an arsenal of "safe" food.  You could hard-boil a dozen eggs before you go, I'm sure they'd last the car ride in a cooler.  When I'd get back to school after break there were always a gazillion things to do, you might be bummed to have to go grocery shopping immediately instead of having fun.

Hope you had a good first day!  It's day 4 for me.  I had a sugar-withdrawal crash over the weekend, headache and whatnot, but today I'm feeling much better, so if that happens to you persevere!!

COngrats to  getting started. I am also a senior in college and am used to being around people who drink and eat out. I have 4 kids and am a little worried, but I finished day 1, on my first day back to school, and first day back to work from winter break. I did okay, but felt hungry all day. Tomorrow I am packing more food!

Good Luck to you!

Archived