on the go lunch suggestions

jasonreba

Ok, I'm new and will apologize, in advance, I'm sure this topic has been addressed before, but I don't have the energy to type in 30 Google search terms and scour for ideas. I'm planning on starting the Whole30 on January 1. My problem is with lunch. I travel all day from store to store,stuck in my car, with no access to a microwave, and you can probably assume that my lunches usually entail sandwiches and chips or drive thrus. Can anyone help me with any ideas for lunch, anything off restaurant menus that may be okay? I'm pretty picky, and in general don't like a of cold foods, like cold chicken, etc. Thanks a bundle.

• Administrators

Hi Jason, you can google the following search terms and you'll get lots of relevant forum hits:

Whole30 brown bag

Whole30 road trip

Whole30 picnic

Edited to add: these ideas will be mostly "cold" foods but can be eaten at room temperature if you take them out in the morning and then eat them at lunch. Otherwise you could probably just throw leftovers in a thermos and go that route.

Hi and welcome.

Much of the success in doing a Whole30 is preparation and planning.

You might need to either plan on taking compliant food with you in your car, in an insulated bag or cooler, or stew/soup in a thermos. You can either use leftovers or whatever protein, vegetable and fat combo you prefer. This article has relevant cooler tips http://whole9life.com/2011/07/whats-in-your-cooler/

It's tricky to depend on restaurants for compliant food. You'll need to research those in your area: check out menus online and perhaps call and speak with managers to see what's possible. Places that cook to order or have gluten free menus, are typically good places to begin. Here ix a dining out article with more tips: http://whole9life.com/2012/11/dining-out-whole30/

The more open you are to possible protein, veg and fat options, the easier this will be for you.

Maybe a little mental reframing would help? Instead of focusing on how difficult it will be to take a compliant lunch with you because you're "picky", decide that you can live with less than completely desirable lunches for 30 days (less than 30, really...I assume you don't worry 7 days/week?). Then either get creative, or grin and bear it. You might surprise yourself and find something you didn't think you would like, or something that you previously didn't like might turn out to be an ok alternative.

I have to pack a lunch daily, no access to restaurants and not even consistently a microwave. A good thermos, as mentioned by CarolinaHiker, is a good thing to have.

Good luck.

Archived