Day 1:

Morning was okay; I made a spinach frittata for breakfast. Tomatoes are not the best right now so I may need to find something different to mix in. I had done coffee with coconut milk and ground vanilla but it wasn't that great. I dank half a cup to ward off a caffeine headache. I cleaned and did a lot of food prep for the week. I had half a banana and some almonds to tide me over until lunch.

For lunch I made Mexican tuna boats and had an orange on the side. I was still feeling hungry but didn't want anymore tuna. I was really, really tired so I went and rested in my bed for awhile. I was still hungry but feeling torn about having a snack. It may have just been my sugar dragon; I don't know. I needed a change of scenery so I went to Whole Foods to stock up on compliant broth, coconut milk, and canned chicken as I could not find compliant versions of those at my regular supermarket. When I got home I felt much better.

I made butternut squash soup for dinner with a side of leftover Christmas turkey. I couldn't eat much of the turkey, though because it tasted funny to me (my husband said it tasted fine to him). I was discouraged and hungry. I reheated some of my frittata but it just didn't taste good. I finally just had a RX bar. Not the best start, but I stayed compliant!

After reading some forums, it seems I am not having enough fat at my meals, but I don't know what to add. I don't really like avocado. Olives are ok.

Just starting whole 30 as well- hope I can do as well as you! on the topic of fats: are you fond of coconut? coconut oil is one of the healthiest fats and if you put some in the fridge it will harden, making it easier for you to take a tablespoon of it and maybe add to your coffee (some call this power coffee) or just eat it off the spoon like I do sometimes? eating it in its hardened state makes you feel more satisfied (think the smoothie/real fruit comparison). again, this depends on if you like the flavor and texture of coconut oil. at any rate, just trying to offer a suggestion! good luck to you!!!!

Stef

Hi there, and welcome!  I do not like coconuts, avocado's or olives.  LOL!  So, in the morning I definitely have bacon with my meal.  It takes care of the fat.  You can get compliant bacon at Market Street (United Markets), Sprouts, and Whole Foods.  I buy mine at Market Street since it is $2 cheaper than Whole Foods.  I save the bacon fat and cook with it a lot.  Plus I have some kind of salad or something with dinner/lunch and put olive oil on it.  Hope that helps!

After reading some forums, it seems I am not having enough fat at my meals, but I don't know what to add. I don't really like avocado. Olives are ok.

Hi Katherine - some ideas for adding fat to your meals:

Chicken wings with the skin on, fatty cuts of meat like brisket, skin or ribs, compliant bacon, coconut oil/butter/cream/milk/flesh/flakes, walnut/macnut/olive oil, olives, or try roasting veg in lard, ghee, tallow, duck fat, schmaltz, you can also make home-made mayo and then use this as a base for other sauces/dressings. Nuts/nut butters & seeds are a fat source but not an optimal one and should be used in moderation.

Hope this helps!

To finish up my log from today: had some sunflower seeds and half a banana in the afternoon. I was feeling a little woozy and had to sit down for a little bit.

I made pork chops with spiced applesauce on a bed of kale. It was okay, but my husband and I both agreed that we are not huge fans of kale. The recipe in the book calls for frisée but I haven't been able to find any.

I had some mixed nuts(almonds, cashews, and walnuts) with some raisins about an hour after dinner but nothing since then except water. I hope as the days go by I will not be hungry between meals and can cut out the snacking.

If you're finding the need to snack then increase the size of your meals - we don't want you to be hungry, but we'd also like to see you last that 4-5hrs between meals because it's during that window that the magic happens and your body learns to turn to fat for fuel rather than relying on a constant stream of carbs...

Start with increasing the protein - that should give you a little more staying power.

Day 3 was pretty good for me. I haven't had any of the headaches that other people have wrote about. My energy seems higher today than the first two days.

M1: 3 eggs (up from 2 yesterday) and 2 slices of compliant bacon. I also had some coffee with coconut milk. I didn't have a veggie. =( However, good news is that I made it to lunch with no snacks! Mainly just tried to keep busy.

M2: Greek salad from book with hard boiled eggs. Pretty good, but the tomatoes I got this week were terrible! Mushy and flavorless. If anyone has a suggestion of a good variety of tomato in the winter, I would love to know! Once again, I made it until dinner with no snacks. Came pretty close a few times, but was able to distract myself.

M3: tomato sauce from cookbook with ground beef and roasted spaghetti squash. Delicious! My husband and my 4yo ate it up (the meat sauce; they had whole wheat penne although my son did try the spaghetti squash!). I consider a meal successful if the hubby goes back for seconds and the 4yo doesn't cry or spit food out. I did have some dried mango (heaven) and sunflower seeds about an hour and a half after dinner. Like I said, I loved dinner but apparently I didn't eat enough to keep me going until bedtime. I have always eaten small meals, so it will be an adjustment to work up to 3 big meals a day.

Tomorrow is my first day back to work after winter break do we'll see how I do with snacks. I already have my leftover Greek salad packed and ready to go for lunch.

I missed doing my log yesterday because I was too busy catching up on the forums!  So I'm going to do two days worth right now.  

Yesterday

M1: Leftover pork chop and spiced applesauce (really good flavor combo for breakfast, btw) and coffee with coconut milk

M2: Leftover Greek salad w/hard boiled eggs

M3: Roasted chicken breast with roasted red pepper mayo, broccoli and yellow squash with roasted red pepper sauce (this is my favorite sauce out of all the ones I have tried so far)

I did pretty good yesterday.  I did not snack between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner.  However, right after dinner I did have some dried mango.  I only let myself eat a little bit because otherwise the bag would be gone!  I've discovered if i'm doing something other than watching TV (reading, playing game on iPad, building Legos with my family) I don't feel the urge to snack.  I am just so conditioned to munching on something when the TV is on that it is a hard habit to break.  

Today

M1: 2 wedges of spinach frittata and 2 slices of compliant bacon.  Also coffee with coconut milk (my last day of coffee, I was weaning myself off the past 5 days).  Yum!  Although that was the last of my bacon.  I'll have to make another Whole Foods run this weekend.  It is about 20 minutes from my house while my regular grocery store is about 7 minutes, but it is worth it!

M2:  Was at professional development today so I went out to lunch with a friend.  I had assumed we were going to Panera and had picked out my meal accordingly.   However, at the last minute my friend wanted to go to Freebirds (kind of like Chipotle) so I didn't have a plan!  I quickly looked it up on the forums and found that their chicken was compliant.  So I had "Freedom Salad" with chicken, bell peppers and onions (cooked in canola oil, but there weren't many other veggie options), and pico de gallo (compliant, I checked on their ingredients list on their website).  It was pretty good even though I didn't have any dressing.  They didn't have any EVOO; I asked.  I got a few wedges of lemon in case I needed them but the salad had enough flavor on its own.

M3:  Tonight I am going to make stir-fry with chicken, broccoli, carrots, and snow peas (or snap peas, I really don't know the difference) with coconut aminos.  I am making brown rice for the hubby per his request but I don't like brown rice anyway.  Also the hubby and my son will have soy sauce on their stir fry.  When I did my first Whole 30 this summer I had them try stir-fry with coconut aminos and they both did not like it.  

I didn't snack this morning but this afternoon around 4 I had a apple pie lara bar.  My stomach was actually growling so I decided to feed it (It had been four hours since lunch anyway).  I don't think my lunch had enough fat.  I don't like guacamole and they didn't have olive oil, so I don't know what else I could have done.

I find myself having "discussions" in my head between my Whole 30 brain and my regular brain.  My regular brain says, "It's okay to have a treat once in awhile.  I'm a grown up and should get to eat whatever I want!"  And my Whole 30 brain says, "No, you don't need a treat.  And since you're a grown up, you have to do what is best for your body."  It's a constant battle.  One minute I am thinking about what treat I will have Day 31 and then next minute I am thinking I need to continue eating Whole 30ish as best I can with the occasional exception (after the 30 days, I am committed to that).  

I just got the Well Fed book and am liking the ideas she has.  I also got Against All Grain but haven't started reading it yet.  Finding new recipes to add to my repertoire is kind of fun.

I find myself having "discussions" in my head between my Whole 30 brain and my regular brain.  My regular brain says, "It's okay to have a treat once in awhile.  I'm a grown up and should get to eat whatever I want!"  And my Whole 30 brain says, "No, you don't need a treat.  And since you're a grown up, you have to do what is best for your body."  It's a constant battle.  One minute I am thinking about what treat I will have Day 31 and then next minute I am thinking I need to continue eating Whole 30ish as best I can with the occasional exception (after the 30 days, I am committed to that).  

I think that is normal. I did my first Whole30 back in July and started again January 1st.  I have those conversations in my head daily.  It is like the Angel vs. Devil!  HA!  I just say that is the sugar talking.  Since my first Whole30 I quickly went back to unhealthy choices.  So this time around I am just going full out and sticking to the reintroduction. And will really consider what I am even willing to let back into my diet.  You will find your way. It is all about learning. 

Day 6 went pretty good for me.

M1: leftover tomato sauce(with carrots, celery, and onion) and ground beef with spaghetti squash

I ate at 6 am and was starving by mid-morning. At around 10:30 I had 2/3 of a RX bar. I figure since it had been 4 1/2 hours I was good.

M2: leftover stir fry with coconut aminos and a side of baby carrots with roasted red pepper mayo, followed by a small dried fruit strip.

Had a staff meeting this afternoon and wouldn't you know, when we walked in, everyone had a bag of kettle corn at their seat. And the tables had CHOCOLATE Valentines candy sprinkled on it. I wanted one so bad but I resisted and just kept sipping my bottled water (the only compliant thing there!) I had my first headache this afternoon, but I also stopped drinking coffee today. Coincidence? I think not. I took my son to gymnastics which is right by a Starbucks. It has been cold and rainy ALL day today and I really wanted something hot. So I got a tall decaf black coffee. And it wasn't that bad.

M3: yummy beef stew with potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion. Soooooo good on a cold, wet day. Looking forward to having it as lunch tomorrow.

Archived