Choosing from these wild, local fish options (Berkeley, CA)

I went to my local fish market and made note of all the fish marked "wild and local":

• Lingcod
  • Petrale sole
  • Butterfish
  • Opah
  • Halibut
  • Grouper

There was also rockcod, which I've had before and find to be fine but not spectacular. I prepare it with seasoning a sauté in ghee or coconut oil.

Anyone have opinions on which to try next and how to prepare it? 

Petrale  is wonderful.. Simply pan fried.. Maybe dusted in Almond meal if you wish.. 

Red Snapper is good too.. I'm sure you have that available also..  They are smaller fillets than say Lingcod...

I love halibut just sprinkled with salt, pepper, garlic powder and then sauteed in a hot pan with fat (ghee would be nice here).

I recently gave up nonstick pans for stainless steel and have really struggled with my meat/fish sticking/burning to the pan even when I use ghee. Do you know if I should just be using a lower heat or more ghee or is this expected?

• Administrators

I recently gave up nonstick pans for stainless steel and have really struggled with my meat/fish sticking/burning to the pan even when I use ghee. Do you know if I should just be using a lower heat or more ghee or is this expected?

I use ceramic also, sorry, I wouldn't have a clue on how best to use stainless, I only use my stainless for browning ground meat.

Archived