Spice Rub On Chicken Skin

HelenLA

If I know there are non-compliant ingredients in a chicken skin spice rub, is it compliant to eat the breast of the chicken after the skin is removed?  I have dinner weekly with family and this is a frequent (pre-cooked, high end store bought) protein at the meals.  I told my extended family I can't eat it and they don't get it but I just thought I would check.  I'm about to start my first Whole30 and I really don't want to screw it up.  I will offer to bring compliant protein but I don't want to offend anyone.

• Administrators

Are you talking about non compliant rotissierie chickens from Whole Foods/grocery store/meat store? Better safe than sorry and take a pass. When the skin heats up the fat will seep into the meat with all the flavouring.......just like they intend for it to do.  :)

I can't have gluten and if I eat chicken with gluten in the rub it really makes me sick, even if I don't eat the skin, as it cooks way down through the chicken, through the meat. Even making bone broth with the bones makes me sick.

Family can sometimes be tricky. Take some compliant food with you, if you want to share it, make sure there's enough.

Some people can get very defensive about food, it's more about their relationship with food than yours, so don't let any of it upset you if they behave a bit weird.

There's quite a few threads on family and friends, well worth a read. Don't let anyone bully you into eating food you don't want to, it's your body and Whole30 is your gift to yourself and you deserve it :)

If you're taking your own chicken, it's great with homemade mayo too :) I love this recipe for roast chicken http://nomnompaleo.com/post/26079656034/julia-childs-classic-roast-chicken (just make sure you use ghee or something else instead of butter, I use ghee and olive oil).

Archived