A fruit dessert, once.

shaimom

So I'm inviting some people next week, I will be on day 28 of my Whole30. I want to make a dessert and it's really the type that I can't not have what they are having. I was going to make something made entirely of fruit, like fruit sauce or compote or poached fruit. I wouldn't usually have dessert but want to look at least normal in front of these people, for various reasons. Would it 'ruin' my Whole30 to do that? I'm not going to cake and cookie SWYPO route, that's for sure.

• Moderators

In It Starts With Food, the Hartwigs have a sample menu for a special occasion that includes something like that, I think it was poached pears maybe? So you could. Definitely don't do the swypo baked goods, but just cooked fruit with some cinnamon or something, as a one-time thing, shouldn't be a problem, but it will be sweeter than just plain fresh fruit. If you're worried that it might trigger your sugar dragon, fresh fruit could be a good option too -- maybe with some whipped coconut cream on top. Or if you feel fresh fruit wouldn't work for others, but you'd prefer it, buy a pound cake or angel food cake, offer it with fruit to top it. You can have just fruit, others can have just fruit, just cake, or a combo. When they leave, immediately toss the leftover cake if you can't get anyone to take it home with them so it won't be there to tempt you.

Wow thanks for the ideas.

I think I'm going to make individual trifles (thanks Shannon for the idea of buying cake), with a bought sponge cake, fruit and whipped coconut cream. I'll make them already in little glass pots, and just make one for myself without. No one will no any difference. I will probably serve a fruit platter too :)

Archived