When do kids stop needing snacks?

keightlynn

I don't know the 'real' answer to this, but I have three kids: 6, 3, 1.  On non-school days, (school is another issue with the constant wanting to send snacks, etc.) my 6 year old and 3 year old eat three meals and one snack after 'rest time' in the afternoon.  I try to make the snack a mini-meal of protein and fruit/veggie, so that it's a quality snack.  My 1 year old follows the same schedule but he's still nursing, so I guess he gets other snacks as he wants throughout the day :)

I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. We don't do snacks most days. My 2 year old has almost never snacked since switching to solids. We do the three meals a day. Actually, my 2 year old will sometimes do two big meals a day and that's it. Now that my daughter is in school, she does really feel she needs to eat dinner right after school and then will sometimes eat a snack before bed (if dinner wasn't big enough, I think).

I think the whole snacking thing is a total myth created by food corporations who develop and sell snack foods. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now that my daughter is in school, she does really feel she needs to eat dinner right after school and then will sometimes eat a snack before bed (if dinner wasn't big enough, I think).

What time is your daughter's lunch at school? Back in the days when I was a substitute teacher, I hated having lunch at 11am sometimes because that's when my class's lunch time was. Ugh, it was so freaking early! 

• Moderators

I don't have children, but I know it has been said that children do need to eat more often than adults (just as newborns eat really often, and less often as they grow older). That doesn't mean snacking all day, though.

I know some of the paleo people with kids say that when you do offer snacks, they should be protein or veggies (depending on what category you usually have the most trouble getting them to eat) and not sweet/carby stuff.

Archived