Waking up with dry mouth

I did a Google search and didn't find anything that had any answers, especially as far along as I am in my Whole30. I am on Day24.

The last week, every single day (and even when I wake up, drink water, and go back to sleep for an hour, my mouth is so dry it's painful. It's so dry that it feels like my teeth are going to fall out.

I drink lots of water (100oz) a day, don't consume a lot of salt, and don't overeat of fruits. I take a prenatal vitamin, magnesium and a B complex.

It's the oddest thing and unnerving.

• Administrators

I assume you are pregnant?

Dry mouth can be caused by a lot of things (medications etc) but one common cause in Whole30-land is that you may have inadvertently gone too low carb. You may want to post a couple days of typical consumption so that we can take a look and see if anything stands out.

Note, you need salt, you shouldn't be restricting it, it can throw your electrolytes out of balance. When we move to a 'whole foods" based diet, most of your dietary sodium has been removed.

Sorry for and confusion. I am not pregnant, but looking to conceive in the next few months.

I do salt my food, but not an abundance, by any means, and not any more than I did eithe pre-Whole30 or earlier in this process.

Yesterday's menu was:

Egg and homemade sausage casserole with spinach, onions, mushrooms and sweet peppers

Aidell's chicken sausage with sautéed onions, a large zucchini, and a baked potatoes with ghee

Roasted chicken coated in paprika and ghee with roasted potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms, zucchini and brocolli.

I ate half an apple with almond butter as a snack.

The day before was:

Two scrambled eggs in ghee with bacon, sautéed kale with onions

6oz of ribeye with a baked potatoes and a large salad with onions, broccoli slaw, peppers, and carrots.

Leftover pork roast with roasted vegetables and an orange.

• 1 year later...

Yes! Help! I'm experiencing this also. I've been waking up every morning super thirsty and today it didn't go away. It's getting uncomfortable and my lips are starting to chap. I drink half my body weight in oz and feel like I'm getting a good balance of fruit, veggies, healthy fats and protein. But I must be off somewhere. 

This happens to me as well. I too drink at least half my body weight in water each day. I do urinate frequently as well!! I have been trying to add salt so I retain some of that water in take in but perhaps I am not salting enough? I have also experienced my calves cramping at night. 

Cramping can be a sign of electrolyte imbalance. Not just sodium, but also magnesium and potassium. You can try something like pickles juice(if you enjoy it and it's compliant). Lots of people take magnesium supplements, pill or powder like natural calm. Or take a bath in Epsom salts. Salt your food. Try to keep sipping water throughout the day vs drinking it all in a few chugs. There is a liquid supplement called elete that i  think is compliant(double check.) For electrolytes. Bananas, tomatoes, and kiwis are supposedly higher in potassium (comparatively to other fruit).

Dry mouth: this has happened to me a few times but unfortunately I have no answer I am 100% (or even 85% confident in). I try to drink some mint herbal tea or bone broth right before bed and it seems to help.

• 3 months later...
On 1/28/2017 at 0:52 AM, Jembree said:

Yes! Help! I'm experiencing this also. I've been waking up every morning super thirsty and today it didn't go away. It's getting uncomfortable and my lips are starting to chap. I drink half my body weight in oz and feel like I'm getting a good balance of fruit, veggies, healthy fats and protein. But I must be off somewhere. 

I'm embarrassed to say I figured out what my problem was... I was dividing my weight by the wrong hundred... So instead of dividing 247 lbs., I had a brain glitch, and I had divided my weight by 147 lbs. AH! So I was consistently drinking HALF the amount of water that I needed to be drinking. I started drinking the correct amount and was fine within a few days.

Archived