Day 1 and a minor slip up question

Mason

So I just started the Whole30 today and smooth sailing until I was cleaning up for dinner. I hate wasting food and out of habit I finished off the little bit of salad on my wife's plate. Unfortunately, it had a little Newman's Own lite salad dressing on it. The dressing contains a tiny bit of sugar (and perhaps gluten, although I couldn't find it). 

My question is why is it recommended that we start over after this very minor slips? Will the tiny bit of salad dressing really throw everything off in terms of hitting the "reset" button? Thank you so much!!

Depending on what's in the dressing, yes, a minor slip up could definitely affect your results. Were you still hungry when you ate the salad or just eating it because it was there? That's the sort of thing the Whole30 is trying to get you to stop. 

That said, you started today. You can just tack on another day at the end. 

• Moderators

The Whole30 rules do not offer you discretion about what is small enough to not matter versus enough to matter. And honestly, when you are sensitive, the amount required to get a reaction is really small. Lots of people object that they know they are not sensitive, but you can't know that until you have eliminated potential problem foods completely and then reintroduced them after a period of healing/absence. 

Archived