Help! Digestive problems, feel lost!

LozzyJ

Hi everyone,

I'm on Day 15 of my first whole30 and having some real problems!

Bit of a background: I'm doing whole30 because I think I've got some food intolerance which I've been trying to investigate (off dairy for over a year and gluten for 8months). I've also got M.E/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Stomach - wise pre-whole30 I always have to get up pretty sharpish in the morning and go to the loo (and it all comes out quickly (sorry for TMI!)).

Back on to whole30:

Since Day 9 my stomach has been worse and it's been terrible over the weekend (hugely bloated stomach, churning pain and a lot of gas/wind, all of which is unusual for me). I've not made it into work today yet because it's so bad.

I've been researching and think it might be either an intolerance to nightshades (definitely eating more potatoes and tomatoes) or that I need to avoid FODMAP'S foods. Only problem is, I'm a recovering! vegetarian (indo eat fish and bacon and tiny bits of chicken), and my diet is already really limited!

Can I post the last couple of days food for advice please?

Day 11:

Meal1: bacon, 2 eggs, avocado and whole30 ketchup

Meal2: leftover chicken and veg casserole - turnip, carrot,swede, celery, parsnip and whole30 ok homemade stock

Meal3: apple and banana

Meal4: tuna steaks, sweet potato fries (skin on),turnips, swede? Carrot, parsnip and celery.

Day12 (the very worst day, couldn't sleep because of pain and discomfort)

Meal1:3 eggs cooked in olive oil

Snack: I had a lot of blood taken Friday and felt lightheaded so had a mid morning snack of banana and nakd bar

Meal2: salad - lettuce, cucumber, olives, avocado,bacon, spring onion, red pepper and whole30 Italian vinegarette.

Meal3: cooked by a friend who is also doing whole30: salmon fillet, roasted carrots, mash potato (with clarified butter), courgettes with lemon zest.

Day13:

Meal1: melon, blueberries and almond butter

Meal2: tuna, whole30 mayo and jacket potato

Meal3: banana and nakd bat (out at rugby and got very hungry)

Meal4: prawns, courgetti and homemade sauce: plum tomatoes, garlic, Italian herb mix, olive oil, mushrooms and nutritional yeast.

I could go on, but that's a sample of the weekend...can you spot anything I can't?

Thank you so much for your help!I feel so stuck!

Lauren

First off, you're not eating enough at your meals.  Have you seen the recommended meal template? For best results, each meal should have 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a fat.  Have your first meal within 1 hour of waking, and build each meal to satiate you for 4-5 hours.

When eggs are your sole protein, the serving sizes is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most people, that's 3-4 eggs.

Some of your meals are missing all three components.  I see a lot of fruit.  Fruit is optional on a Whole30:  if you're going to have it, the recommendation is 1-2 servings daily, where a serving is the size of your fist. Don't let fruit push vegetables (or protein, or fat) off your plate.

Get rid of the nakd bars: they're doing you no favors.

How much water are you drinking daily?  We recommend 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

On Day 11, what did you eat that's different from what you ate prior to your Whole30?  If you think you have an issue with nightshades, maybe try backing off those, make sure you get other vegetables, fats and protein at every meal.  If increasing animal protein is causing you discomfort, you might try a digestive enzyme.

You might also find this article helpful. http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

Day 11 I ate turnips and swede (which I don't usually have), and chicken is a new thing for me, so very rarely have that. I'd slow cooked it the day before and reheated it in the microwave.

I definitely think I'm eating too much fruit, I just get so hungry that I grab something which is know I can eat...usually banana and nut butter!

What other carbs could in try instead of potatoes?

I hadn't thought about not eating enough, I am 6ft1 and use up my energy very quickly because of THE M.E/C.F.S.

What do you think the most likely culprit for my upset stomach? Not sure whether to tenth nightshade thing, the FODMAP'S thing or just try eating more or eating leas fruit!

Thanks for your help!

What other carbs could in try instead of potatoes?

What do you think the most likely culprit for my upset stomach? Not sure whether to tenth nightshade thing, the FODMAP'S thing or just try eating more or eating leas fruit!

Thanks for your help!

Other carb-dense vegetables include winter squash, beets, carrots, plantains, jicama, rutabaga, parsnips (I see you have some of these already).

I honestly don't know what's causing your stomach to be upset, if you're getting enough water. The only way you'll find out is through trial and error.

• Moderators

First thing I see is avocado. It can give stomach issues to some. You may be able to eat it here and there, but perhaps not everyday. Experiment with removing it for a few days.

Add some veggies to your Meal 1. Shredded rutabaga, spinach, zucchini are all good options. No shame in using frozen -- I just toss frozen spinach into my hot pan.

Eat more food at Meal 2 so you don't need a snack. If you absolutely must snack, don't resort to fruit alone. It is easy to carry a compliant pouch of tuna or salmon and a baggie of baby carrots, celery or pepper strips with you (as long as it's only a few hours, they will be fine without refrigeration).

Canned sweet potatoes or baby food pouches are also a great option to stash in a desk drawer or your car. Read your labels.

FODMAPs are probably a more likely culprit than nightshades as for those who are sensitive, gas and bloating are very common.

Nightshades tend to have other symptoms and you're eating quite a lot of FODMAPs.

I would try cutting out FODMAPs and nuts to start with (your nakd bars are also high in FODMAPs) and only eat a normal amount of non-FODMAP fruit.

Try eating off this green list: http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/ (there's lots of choices)

If you find you're getting hungry often, you may want to eat a mini meal of all three template elements, as this will help to stabilize your hormones.

Not eating enough protein will leave you hungry and fruit won't fill that void.

Archived