Whole30 and Metformin (not diabetic)

Hi all. I am on day 11 of the whole30. I was recently put on 500 mg 2x a day of metformin to help combat PCOS issues. I do not have diabetes. However, I'm wondering if the met along with the whole30 is giving me low blood sugar issues. Some days I feel very shaky and sick in the afternoon. I have had an overall feeling of slight weakness but am thinking that is just the detox. Is the afternoon dip normal at first and do they go away? A sample day of my eating is b- 2-3 eggs cooked in olive oil with a spinach salad with coconut aminos, lunch is a protein like compliant turkey chilli, cut up veggies with gauc, and spinach salad again wth coconut aminos, dinner is a protein, healthy fat for cooking or a tbs of compliant mayo, broccoli, and either a sweet or white potato. Sometimes I will supplement with an rx bar or chomps if extra veggies don't cut it. Also while attempting prior whole30 without metformin I didn't have this issue. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply and link. I started it about 2 weeks ago. I looked at the side effects and only had gi issues for the first 2 days. I didn't realize weakness was a side effect. I was just wondering if anyone thought that the met and whole30 brought my sugars too low. Btw, I love this program and have no intention of stopping. Just looking for some insight.

Does your doctor know you're doing Whole30 too? Make sure your doctor knows how you're feeling, you may need to take less meds or look at another treatment.

Some medications need altering on Whole30 as you are much healthier and don't need so much "adjusting", so you can swing the wrong way instead of back to the middle.

You may find the Whole30 does more for your blood sugar and PCOS than the Metformin.

• 2 weeks later...

I take metformin for PCOS. I am also not diabetic. Metformin helps me with so much more than just the blood sugar instability. It actually is a favtor in inducing ovulation and keeping the cysts from growing and becoming painful.

Metformin actually has very little direct effect on blood sugar, i.e., it rarely causes hypoglycemia.

Also, you may consider changing to the extended release. That has made me feel so much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived