A Happy Birthday Whole30

ceanothus

One of the biggest downfalls I have had with previous diets ( and I have tried them all) was that I was always starting a particular diet for a particular reason: date in the future like a birthday, or something special that I wanted to look good for. Well that day came and I looked good, but then the reason for dieting was over so I went back to my old habits until the next special occasion came along.

Using this as an example I would advise you to stay on the Whole 30 program not for your birthday (although that is very special) but for your health and well being. Special occasions come along all the time and we just have to be prepared for them with healthy habits.

You have done this before so I know you can do it again. Just keep plugging along and the world will be yours.

For the dozens and dozens of readers that I'm sure are following my meal recountings in breathless fashion, let me alleviate the suspense and tell you that I was 100% successful in resisting the victuals and libations offered at Day 2's evening bookclub event.

Exhale! ;):lol:

Well done! At our last bookclub there were 3 paleo readers, I was one of them, and 2 my disciples :)

Your lunch makes me all sad-face :(

Don't be afraid of the more starchy veg - I see you're having pumpkin, but there's also all the squashes, sweet potatoes etc. to get carbalicous with

Looking fwd to the next exciting episode ;) Days of our Lives eat your heart out!

That smoothie sounds decadent, but you know it's not very w30 right? You'd prob want to check your vanilla also for alcohol or glycerin too for frutiure use/non-use.

I would love a massage <sigh> The tandoori fish sounds amazing, but isn't tandoori ususally made with yogurt? :ph34r:

yeah I'm a right nit-picky beatch this morning aren't I? :lol: Fell free to tell me to go jump.

Loving your work!

This is a thing that come up a lot and I totally see what you mean.

personally I wouldn't re-set because of the one use of extract anyway, but I was just alerting you so you'd know not to make it a regular thing.

Re the tandoori that is how we made the marinade at home, with yogurt, like this

I think it is completely possible to slip up , admit it and either re-set/add-on or continue on without berating yourself. Nobody here would suggest that it was some moral failure, because it is clearly not. Whole9 say No slips, not because of some idea of "perfection" but so you can see how eating exactly as the guidelines say for a full 30 days makes you feel, if you don't stick to them exactly you're not getting the full experience.

"Yes, yes, I know the Whole9 people say NO SLIPS OR YOUR INNER ORGANS WILL CURDLE UP AND DIE AND YOUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN WILL BE CURSED FOREVER. But I refuse to believe that is the case. Rather, this is about becoming conscious of what you ingest and making a concerted effort to use food the way it was meant to be used: to support health. To support life."

This seems a little harsh, don't you think? Do we want you to give your body the opportunity to heal for 30 days straight, no compromises? Yes. Do we want you to spend 30 days making conscious choices about your food, refusing to give in or give up? Yes. Is this one of the toughest-love programs out there? You bet your bottom line. We tell you that up front, and you (or most folks) do the program the way it's written and for what it is. Those who put the full commitment and attention to detail into the process see the most (and most outstanding) results. There's no way around that.

You've done a W30 previously, and you have your personal experience to draw on. You may be confident in how your food choices make you feel, and that's awesome. That's the point of the program, really. Sure, people see weight loss and other health improvements, but the true point of this is awareness. And that's why we (as moderators and community members) make it a point to note these nuances - not for you, but for anyone else reading your log who doesn't have that experience to draw on or is not comfortable making compromises within the context of the program. While you might be fine with allowing a bit of alcohol in your vanilla, or a smoothie here and there, they are not technically within the guidelines of the program. Anyone who chooses to follow that lead should be making the choice consciously.i

That said, we (again as moderators and community members) never want to see anyone berate themselves for their food choices (or honest unconscious slips). We won't mince words when someone makes a conscious choice that is off plan (we will always recommend someone start over in that case, just FYI), but we will never berate. And, especially when a slip is unconscious, we will always support their efforts to choose better. We want everyone to succeed in their own health journey! But we will never bend the rules of the program, or our recommendations, to accommodate participation in modern society.

I also feel your interpretation about our "expectations" is way out of line with our actual message. Did you know we have a series of articles designed to help those who feel their Whole30 has become unhealthy, due to a past history of eating disorders or addictive behaviors? We never, ever want something as positive as our program to make people feel bad about themselves, or make their unhealthy relationship with food even worse, and the body of our articles (and our programs) reflect this.

http://whole9life.com/tag/eating-disorder/

Best,

Melissa

Archived