Burning Tongue

violetta

I have had a return of burning tongue which I mostly got rid of with prilosec a while ago.  I was able to get off the prilosec during Whole 30 with no reflux return and no burning tongue in December but lately it has come back with a vengeance even though I have been on a very slow roll.  I thought it might be due to a reintro with brown rice that went badly, lots of stomach pain and reflux for a few days but now I don't know.  I am not sure what to do now.  I don't want to go back on prilosec because of the recent news about side effects, but I can't take H2 blockers because they affect my restless legs.  I have tried apple cider vinegar and it does help with reflux and I take Glutagenics, a very expensive iicorice and aloe powder.  I have cut out all fruit, caffeine, chocolate and alcohol of course but had no results.  Any suggestions?

Those are mostly my posts and I have not gotten any solutions from them, a little itchy throat or white bumps for a few days is not what I am talking about.  This is a long term problem with way more pain than a few days.  I am looking for someone who has real burning tongue syndrome and has dealt with it on  Whole 30.  It is not oral allergy syndrome, I really don't know what it is and neither do my many doctors and it is worse since Whole 30 than at any other time although I have had it for many years.  Just hoping for someone else who has found some solutions besides apple cider vinegar and bone broth and continuing deadly medications.

If this is Burning Mouth Syndrome, you will need to see a doctor. It is diagnosed only by exclusion, so there are a number of things that need to be ruled out, including deficiencies and medications.

If this has come back during Reintroductions, a reintroduced food could be a trigger (not a cause) and this should be discussed with your doctor.

I tested Candida, thrush, tried all the thrush medications and they didn't work.  Saw 2 oral surgeons, a dentist, 2 ENTs, naturopath, acupuncturist, internist and allergist.  The allergist finally put me on prilosec and it eventually went down and then it came back last month after quitting prilosec but adding prilosec back in is not helping.  

http://www.sinuses.com/regimen.htm

Do you clear your throat/gag throughout the day?  I'm not a doctor but since you've been everywhere and I'm surrounded by seniors all of the time with sinus probs/acid reflux/GERD and some have been operated on (esophagus mesh)...

Tell us.  What do you really think is going on.  Do you drink alot of black tea, coffee or highly acidic soda drinks, alcohol, wine?    If so, those gotta go first. 

Do you ever lose your voice, it's just not there sometimes.

No, I don't lose my voice often and I think it is probably LPR (larynopharengeal reflux) but now even prilosec is not fixing it.  Although it was diagnosed as oral allergy once but it doesn't quite fit because even cooked foods can make it worse.  I also do have some hay fever type allergies and eustachian tube dysfunction and perhaps it is connected.  So if I upped the prilosec to double dose it might get better but I really DON"T want to do that and I was fine for most of January with no prilosec and then it came back in February, perhaps after my stomach attack from brown rice reintro.  I just want to find someone who has experienced this.

How about chocolate.  Do you have some when you're not W30?  Even the very best dark high quality.  You don't want to double down on the prilosec...you heard the news last night.  :wacko: 

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-dementia-reflux-idUSKCN0VO27I

One more question.  Have you had a gastric bypass or sleeve.

Yes, I did hear the news about PPIs but I am not sure what to do at this point.  It is the only thing that keeps it under control.  I took a prilosec for two days now and it is much better.  I just can't have any acid in my mouth and no, I don't eat chocolate.  The only other useful drug information from the articles were benadryl and clonazepam, both of which are definitely the bigger evils in my mind, particularly with restless leg and I have already had a few years of weaning off of clonazepam which was for RLS.  I have read most of the articles and basically they say what the doctors say, that no one knows what to do.  I might have to try some cognitive behavior therapy!  No gastric bypass.  I have tried baking soda, salt, ice capsicum, mylanta, anti-fungals, oral lidocaine, thrush medicine, peridex.  Nothing really works except prilosec.

• 3 months later...

I have a condition called geographic tongue which sometimes burns when I eat acidic foods such as tomatoes or vinegar. I wouldn't think this is your problem since a dentist should be able to diagnose this. My tongue is eroded and gets white patches on it. You might try eliminating acidic foods to see if that helps. Another option is looking for a toothpaste that doesn't have a foaming agent in it such as Biotin dry mouth toothpaste. Good luck.

Archived