Pasteurized liquid egg whites

mandrake

I just spent a silly amount of time overthinking this. My area has a program that distributes produce from farms and grocery stores that can no longer be sold but is still edible. Sometimes there are other pantry or dairy items. Whatever food is still edible but not sellable. They divide it up and charge $7 for 30-40lbs of produce. It's amazing and we love it. We end up with a nice variety and opportunity to try things we might not otherwise.

This week there is also a carton of Deb El Pasteurized Egg whites. The ingredients are egg whites, guar gum, and triethyl citrate. Technically I believe the ingredients are compliant, though obviously not in the spirit of the W30. I'm not excited about eating eggs without yolks, but I'm also on a budget and not excited (egg-cited?) about wasting food.

What do you think? Make a veggie frittata, add a bunch of guacamole, and call it good? Or toss it?

• Administrators

Eat it. It's not optimal but based on how you got it and why, I would definitely make it into things and then add fats to it.  Bear in mind that most of the vitamins/minerals are in the yolk so you would want to continue to ensure that you eat a varied diet and don't use the whites to the exclusion of other stuff.  But for one week (or how ever long they last)?  You're fine, go for it.

Thanks for your responses! I'm going to make a frittata with beef and a variety of veggies, and dump some ghee or mayo or guacamole on it.

I'm in Baltimore, and the program is called "Gather Baltimore"... It really is wonderful. I wish everyone everywhere could have access to something like this. Of course, this week the bag had 3 bunches of browning bananas, a 5-lb bag of fresh spinach that was starting to turn, cilantro that had already become inedible, a dozen individual bags of sliced apples, like for kids, pumped full of chemicals, and a bunch of potatoes. Some weeks are better than others :)

Thanks again for your responses!

Archived