How to get that umaminess?

I'm missing that 'je ne sais quoi' from my dishes, especially the Asian ones. Fish sauce and coconut aminos aren't doing the trick for me. My go-to condiment is a mix of fish sauce/coconut amino/rice vinegar/shredded ginger and red chilis/sesame oil.

I've heard someone mention black garlic, but anything else that comes close for depth of flavor especially to the dish itself?

Thanks!

Thanks, Tom for reminding me to open up my spice cabinet!

I love cumin, coriander - smoked paprika could do the trick.

It's also jogged my memory on how Heston Blumenthal would throw a star anise into soups/stews for that back note.

• 4 weeks later...

So what I've done to mimic a Worcester ish flavor is sauté some anchovies in oil until they dissolve. It really brought out a deep umami flavor and doesn't even taste like anchovies when it's used in meals. I used to do this to replace fish sauce when making Thai peanut sauce before I did whole30.

So what I've done to mimic a Worcester ish flavor is sauté some anchovies in oil until they dissolve. It really brought out a deep umami flavor and doesn't even taste like anchovies when it's used in meals. I used to do this to replace fish sauce when making Thai peanut sauce before I did whole30.

I concur! Lurve anchovies!  My go-to snack is a hardboiled egg garnished with an anchovy.

I find fish sauce too overpowering in most dishes.

Archived