I'm on Day 10 and doing OK. My question is about veggies. I'm feeling guilty if I don't have a green vegetable - and keep thinking about squash and potatoes as a starch that should only be occasional. Can someone give me the scoop on this? I can only eat so much spinach, asparagus and salads! 

• Moderators

What about beets, carrots, cauliflower, brocolli, peppers, onions, fennel, mushrooms, cucumber, zucchini, tomato, radishes...

The non starchy vegetables don't need to be green... you are welcome to eat every single vegetable that you can find (not corn... that's not a vegetable) in your markets and grocery stores.  You never need to eat a salad if you don't want to.

• Moderators

You should eat at least one fist-size serving of starchy veggies every day to help with a host of issues ranging from mood to energy levels to sleep. If you are active, you may need two or three fist-size servings per day. That said, you need other veggies every day. I personally feel that a good day includes at least one serving of dark, leafy veggies like kale, spinach, or chard and that two servings is better. Between starchy veggies and dark, leafy veggies, you still have room for cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, beets, carrots, peppers, Brussels sprouts, etc. It is a good thing that eating 2-3 servings of veggies at least 3 times per day is what we consider good meal composition. 

Archived