Moving right along!

katieblue

Colleen, that totally blows! I am in the habit of always writing up my responses to everything in a Word document and then copying and pasting, mostly from being in grad school and having to make discussion posts every single day. I like to see them written out to make sure they’re long enough for that purpose, but I usually do it for emails and our posts here, too, just out of habit!

Also, I’m glad to hear that you ladies have the same issue with buffets. I’ll try to keep you in mind next time that I have this and think of our group power and how much we’ve learned and maybe it will help motivate me! We have another BBQ that we are hosting on Saturday because one of my oldest friends (we met in middle school), is home from his job on the Disney cruise line, and we only get to see him three or four times a year. So we’re getting the old gang together to hang out for a while, and of course it has to be based around food (why do we always do this??). But I talked to Rob and we decided since it’s a much smaller gathering than the 4th of July BBQ we had, we will just keep the food inside (under the guise of “out of the heat”) and have people go in to make plates rather than leave it sitting out where I can see it and will be tempted to go back and make 3,000 plates. :P Hopefully this will deter me from gorging too much!! Also, we are having an ice cream bar for dessert, but since we are having it at our house, I can make sure to get some dairy free ice cream for me and maybe not feel so yucky afterward. And this is the last thing we have scheduled for the future, so for several weeks I can make sure I’m eating well.

I’m also wrapping up another quarter at school and will have a break very, very soon!! I’m so excited; my mind is, like, totally fried. The homework load is lightening up quite a bit and I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel; I only have two more quarters to go after this!! The Fall is going to be killer, because I had to jump back up to three classes again, but I am SO motivated to get freaking done!!

And I saw the endocrinologist today! She’s sending me for an ultrasound and bloodwork to check out why I’m not getting my period/gaining weight so rapidly. She seemed to think my other doctors had not acted efficiently to find out about this problem because she looked at the most recent bloodwork I brought with me and went, “This doesn’t tell me anything.” So hopefully she will lead me to some answers soon!

Wendy, I hope that you get to get started working with some students soon! Do you have any idea when you will get to see them?

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Katie,

That sounds like a good plan to make people go inside to get their plates, leads to less mindless munching for all involved!  I'm so glad you get a break soon! How long will the break be?  Your fall sounds really busy with 3 grad school classes and working full-time!  Are the people at work being nicer?

I hope you do get some answers soon from the endocrinologist.  

I'm not sure how soon I'll see students, hopefully by a week from Monday.  The students will all be tested next week, then by end of week I can sit down with the principal and all of the homeroom teachers involved and decide who will be in my groups.  I spent a lot of this week creating/filling in spreadsheets to input all the student info.  I felt more like a secretary than a teacher.  It'll be more fun when I can actually teach.  I'm not complaining, though. It's been a much more laid-back start to the year than I am used to!

Fingers crossed that this plan works! I'm really working myself up and giving myself anxiety over this. I went to bed at 9 and woke up at 10 totally wide awake and there's no way I'm going back to sleep for a while... so here I am!

Sadly my break will only be for two weeks, but we are going to Chincoteague, VA for three days so that will be a really nice break! And I'm going to the Poconos for one night by myself so I can hike Bushkill Falls and be alone in some gorgeous nature. :) So I'm trying to make the most of it!

Thank you for asking about people at work! Many of them have gotten a LOT nicer. Some of them are still cranky old ladies, but it's easier now that I have some friends and allies! I still don't like the job, but it's getting closer and closer to when I can start applying for librarian jobs! (Looking like end of October now!)

Ugh, spreadsheets definitely doesn't sound like much fun, especially for someone who is a teacher! You probably have way more fun being creative and engaging with students than sitting at a computer making boring worksheets. But I guess there is some benefit to a slower ramp up to the actual teaching rather than diving right in! Lol!

Also, you post so many funny things on your Pinterest about teaching! I have actually sent a few to my stepmom because she's a teacher, too! Lol!

I'm glad to hear many of your co-workers are getting nicer.  I felt sure once they got to know you, they would love you. And if they don't, that's their problem, they are probably just miserable people who are bitter about life.  (Unfortunately, the field of education is not immune to that problem).  That's great that you can start applying for librarian jobs so soon!  

Your vacation plans sound fun and relaxing!  :)  Two weeks isn't very long, but sounds like you'll be making the most of it.  

I'm glad my Pinterest board offers some entertainment!  Some of the teacher things really crack me up, too.  I can relate to so many of them.  I bet your stepmom gets them, too!

Thank you so much! You really do know how to make me smile, Whole30 Mom! :)

I actually had a cool moment where a customer was SO rude to me (she called me stupid AND told me she was disgusted with me -- how do you even TALK to another human like that??) but SO many of my coworkers jumped to my defense! It was actually really nice! :)

Have you gotten to work with your students yet?

Sorry I've been a little MIA! I've been feeling crappy all last week with a headache that finally blew up on Friday and I was all achy and feverish so I finally went to the doctor and I've got a sinus infection. So I just lazed around all weekend, which was AWESOME. I needed it, and I need more, I was so not ready to go back to work today!! Haha. I can't wait until next summer when I don't have school for the first time in my whole entire life -- I will save my vacation time for the summer and make sure I get time to relax!

Hi, ladies.  Katie, I made your collard recipe on Sunday, and Drew and I really liked it!  And it was so easy!  I loved the collard recipe we had, but it wasn't W30 compliant, so I'm glad we have one we like that is!  I'm really glad your endo is trying to get answers for you.  It's great when a doctor is a champion for you, instead of just blowing off your concerns as not valid.  How are you feeling?  Sinus infections are terrible!  I had one a few months ago, but, once I got to the doctor and got antibiotics, I was feeling much better in a day or two!  I've never been to  Chincoteague.  When do you go?

Wendy, I'm glad you're getting to ease into the school year!  I, personally, like spreadsheets, but I'm also a computer geek :).  I hope things go well when you get the kids!

Things are going along pretty normally for me.  Busy, but good!  Tonight we have a Meet & Greet with the teachers at daycare.  I'm not really sure what it's going to be like, since Chase's teachers aren't new.  Once they're 2 or 3, they change classrooms at the beginning of the school year, but, until that point, they change based on milestones.  They moved Chase into the "Walkers" room a few months after he started walking.  I am curious to know when he'll move into the 2s room.  His birthday is October 2, so he's going to be the kid who's the oldest, but I don't know if that's the same for daycare.  I don't know if he'll move into the 2s room when he's 2 or not until the beginning of next school year.

Colleen, I'm glad you like spreadsheets.  If I have to create another one, or put data into another one anytime soon, I am going to pull my hair out!  lol I'll spare you all the details, but it's been a little frustrating the last couple of days trying to work with the tech. people in my school district to get all my potential students loaded into this database where I can't test them until they are "in the system." This is an incredibly busy time for all the tech. people, teachers, and everyone else, but I haven't even been able to test any students yet, just keep working on these spreadsheets! If all goes as planned, I should be able to start testing kids tomorrow, and hopefully start taking my groups on Monday.  <fingers crossed>  

Katie, I've had plenty of sinus infections, and they are the worst.  I've had some so bad I literally cried.  They can be so miserable.  I sure hope you feel better soon!

Hey, ladies!

Colleen, so glad you liked the collard recipe! It's funny that I can't actually attest to the easiness of it myself because Rob made it! He really has stepped up with helping with getting food started, as long as I can plan it out and have everything ready to go, he's been capable of making quite a few side dishes. We've sort of fallen into a rotation of grilled veggies with various burgers/meat from the freezer, but that's okay with me, as long as I don't have to do the work!

How did your meet and greet with the daycare teachers go?

I'm feeling much better, finally, thank you! I wanted to stay home and rest so badly but I kept pushing along. And my work is FINALLY done for school, so yay!!! I get three weeks off now to just chill!!! I am SO SO SO excited!!!!

Chincoteague is amazing, we'll be going on September 11 and staying until the 13. Just a few days, because it's all we can afford, but it's something, and it's so needed. This time of year it will be really quiet and I plan on bringing books and hanging around and taking lots of long walks to see the wild ponies. :) They have some of the best ice cream I've ever had on the island, and I'm debating whether or not I should have it! It's that same old, I want it because I know it's delicious, but I'm sure I'll pay for it afterward. I got ice cream with some of my girl friends last night because we hadn't seen each other all summer (thanks, school) and we all hadn't had ice cream from our absolutely favorite local place. But this morning I am so nauseous and feel so bloated. I really think dairy might be as detrimental to me as gluten! I have largely avoided it, even leaving cheese off of salads and things where I used to be okay with small amounts.

Wendy, I hope that you get to meet your kids after this weekend, finally! Will you know any of them from your previous work? Or will they all be new? I don't envy your work with the tech stuff, I think we'll leave that to Colleen. ;)

Katie,

I'm so glad your feeling better, and just in time to enjoy your vacation from school work!!  Where exactly is Chincoteague? I've heard of it, just not sure where.  I wonder how you would do with ice cream made from coconut milk.  I'm sure it wouldn't be as delicious as the real stuff, but might be a good option so you don't feel left out.  Of course, they might not have that option at an ice cream shop, but I have seen that kind at grocery stores.

I spent most of Wed.-Fri. this week testing potential students, and it was fun to meet who "might be" in my class. A few of them were former students, and it was sweet to hear, "I hope I get to come to your class!"  Some were also siblings of former students.  One fifth grader asked, "If we come to your room, does that mean we're bad at reading?"  That was a hard question to answer, and hope I didn't mess it up. Since I still need to finish testing 3rd grade, and we are meeting with 4th grade teachers on Tues. am. to finalize my class list, it looks like maybe I'll start seeing 4th graders on Tues. or Wed., and then 3rd and 5th later on in the week.  I am anxious to get started working with kids.  and not just testing.  But I have to admit, it has been a less hectic first few days of school, so I can't complain!  My classes are going to be between 15-21 students each, and the second grade class I would have had if I hadn't switched positions has 30 students!  :o

Colleen,

I want to hear about the daycare meet and greet.  Since I didn't have a class list yet on our Meet the Teacher night, I had a whopping 2 families come to see me!  I was a bit lonely, but I got over it! ;)

Chincoteague is a little island off the coast of Virginia, it's about a 5 hour drive south of me, so not sure how far north of you that would put it. I actually have had the ice cream made from coconut milk and it's not bad! But you're right, definitely not the same. What I have done in the past is I'll do like 80% coconut milk ice cream and then maybe like a little half scoop of regular dairy ice cream, and then I leave that for last. :P There is actually one ice cream shop on Long Beach Island in Jersey that does have coconut milk ice cream and one up in Sleepy Hollow, NY that does, too. They advertise it as vegan ice cream, but it works for us lactose-intolerant ladies as well!

I'm so glad you had a good time testing your potential students, and that they wanted to be in your class! Not that I'm surprised, of course! I can't imagine how they couldn't love you!
That is a tough question to answer, though. It's one thing to have challenges but not be aware that you have them, but it's got to be hard when people have enough awareness to understand that they struggle with something. Kind of like when elderly people start to forget things and get frustrated. It totally breaks my heart to see someone's mind or body fail them when the rest of them functions just fine, and I'm sure kids are the hardest of all.
30 students is a lot to manage!!

Rob and I are taking a day trip to Bushkill Falls today in the Poconos in PA. We're trying to leave super early so we can get there when they open, before it gets really crowded. It's such a gorgeous place, my family used to have a time share in the Poconos when I was younger before my parents got divorced, so I have some really great memories from that area. I haven't been since I took a trip with my sister like three or four years ago, so it will be cool to get back! I also just can't wait to get the heck away from all of this nonsense, even just for a day. There's something to be said about being physically removed from the day to day scramble!

Hi, girls.  The Meet & Greet was pretty uneventful, although I don't know what I was expecting.  We went to his current room and met two sets of parents there.  Then we went to the 2s room and met the teachers.  The teachers in his current room said he'd probably move to the 2s room in January, so I guess that means he'll be in there until Sept 2018?  I'm still not sure on that.  I guess I'll find out when I get a chance to ask the administrators.  I don't necessarily like the thought of him being in the same room for a year and a half, but I guess that's going to happen at some point, based on his birthday, unless we decide/have the option to send him to kindergarten when he's 4, but that seems SO young, especially for a boy!  What are y'all's thoughts on that?

Katie, how was Bushkill Falls?  I grew up not too far south of the Poconos, but we really never spent much time there.  I wonder why.  I grew up in Shenandoah, which is close to Pottsville, where they brew Yuengling beer.  It's only maybe 1.5 hours from Scranton.  We always vacationed at the beach.  Maybe that's why.  But Bushkill Falls sounds really nice!  I am so jealous you have 3 weeks off!  I think I'm getting burned out.  I've had long weekends here and there, but I haven't had a real vacation, like a week, since Thanksgiving last year, which was nice but not really a vacation, since we just went to PA to visit family.  I want a real vacation!

Wendy, that's promising that you might get to start teaching this week!  It breaks my heart that one of the kids asked if they couldn't read well.  So sad.  My friend is a Reading and Recovery teacher for 1st grade.  I wonder if kids that age realize they're not good at reading, and that's why they see her.  I've never asked her.  I worry about Chase having reading issues, because my husband had really bad dyslexia when he was young.  I hope Chase didn't inherit that!

I had the (dis)pleasure of visiting my MIL this weekend.  She and her husband are moving to an Independent Living community, and their place there will be smaller than their current place, so they're giving away a lot of stuff, and my husband wanted some of it.  Things were going ok until she gave us back a wreath I had made her, a picture from our wedding, and a newborn picture of Chase - all Christmas gifts we gave her - saying they didn't have room in the new place.  It really hurt my feelings.  Then, at lunch, she tried to sneak giving Chase Sprite!  Soda!  And he's not even 2!  And then she acted surprised when I asked her not to give him soda.  She definitely knows better and tries to go behind my back and give him stuff.  It makes me SO mad!  I don't have to see her until October 1st, which is going to be Chase's birthday party, and I'm hoping there's enough other stuff going on that I don't have to really spend too much time with her.  She's going to be staying at our house, but my Gram will be there, too, so I'll just hang out with her :).

Colleen,

Your MIL sounds so thoughtless. Doesn't have room for a handmade wreath, a wedding picture, and a newborn picture of her grandson??? And giving a toddler soda pop?  Wow.  On a better note, my husband lived in Pottsville for a while as a kid, right next to the Yuengling brewery!  His mom's family lived there, and they would always go there when his dad was deployed (his dad was a career Marine).  And to answer your question, I think 4 is too young for kindergarten, especially for a boy.  I chose to start my oldest late (almost 6 instead of almost 5), as he is a September birthday.  And he still wasn't as mature as a lot of his peers, even in HS!

Katie, I hope your vacation is relaxing!  

I finally had students today!  I'm a little disappointed.  I guess I had higher hopes for how they would respond to me.  Not that anyone was really rude or anything, but just chatty, and not always on task.  However, being the first day, it was a lot of introductory stuff to get out of the way (expectations, procedures, etc.) and not all that exciting, so I'm hoping that when we really get started on lessons, they will be more engaged and less talkative.  4th and 5th graders are a whole different ballgame than 1st/2nd graders!  I complimented a few of them on their attentiveness, and it seemed to embarrass them.  I guess older kids don't want to be complimented by the teacher?  

Hi ladies!

I’ve been really enjoying not having to be glued to the laptop all week now that I don’t have homework to do every day… sorry for not being around here as much! I’m thinking of you, though! :)

Colleen, I agree with Wendy, your MIL sounds like she’s very self-centered and narcissistic. I feel so bad that you have to interact with her so regularly. Not only is it bad enough to try to give soda to Chase, but to try and sneak it while she knows you wouldn’t want her to? That’s so ridiculous.

As far as kindergarten, I don’t know too much about young children, but after taking my children’s lit course this summer and studying their development at early ages, I agree with Wendy on that, too. I think that 4 is young to comprehend the sorts of things that they would be focusing on in kindergarten. I think it would benefit him more to have some more room to learn and grow in his own way. But again, I’m certainly no expert on kids, having never had any of my own!

Bushkill Falls was amazing, thank you for asking! We got there right as they were opening and NOBODY was there, we had the trails and waterfalls virtually to ourselves. It was so gorgeous and relaxing, and we just hung out for the day! That’s so funny you grew up so close to there, it’s such a small world!

I don’t have the 3 weeks off from work, so don’t be TOO jealous, it’s just a vacation from school!  I still have the 9 to 5 grind every day (except Thursdays it’s 1-9). But I think it sounds like you need to take a few days off and recharge!  

Wendy, I’m sorry your students didn’t respond the way you hoped! But you definitely have a point about it being the first day, I feel like all kids are rowdy before they get settled back into the routine again. And I think you’re right that older kids get embarrassed, it’s not “cool” to be complimented at that age, it might make them seem like a nerd! Lol! I think just give it some time for them to warm up to you and you will be fine. :)

Katie, I'm glad you're getting the chance to get away from the laptop and get some fresh air and relaxation from homework!  I've never been to Bushkill Falls, but it sounds amazing!  

I wish I could say my week ended better with my students, but I felt really down on Friday. It's not that the students were purposely rude or disrespectful, it's just going to be a challenge to get them to quit insulting each other, talking out of turn, making unnecessary comments to each other, etc.  We did some (supposedly) community building activities this week, as both my 4th and 5th grade classes come from 3 different homerooms, so they are not together all day.  I was disappointed that some of them felt the need to make rude comments when others were sharing.  I got some of that in 1st/2nd grade, of course, but not to this extent.  And all of my students are struggling readers, so I think most of them have self-esteem issues anyway, as they've figured out by now that they are not at the top of the class.  I guess I just had high hopes that I would ignite a desire to become a better reader and student in them, and feel like so far I have failed.  I know I shouldn't be so hard on myself, as I've only had them 3 days.  And a few of them really do seem to like me and want to do well. Yesterday on a survey of interests, a few of them said my class was their favorite subject in school, so that made me feel a little better. :)

On a different note, does anyone else have a problem tolerating coffee?  I eliminated coffee during both my Whole 30's as I do not care for coconut milk or any other allowed creamer in my coffee, and I do not like it black AT ALL. I like my coffee with non-compliant Coffee mate. So, I switched to tea during W30.  I actually prefer tea the rest of the day, but have always enjoyed a cup of coffee or two in the morning.  However, my stomach has really been bothering me lately, especially in the morning.  At first, I just thought it was back to school nerves about the new job, but then I remembered I had some of the same symptoms this summer.  I won't go into graphic detail, but let's just say I have to go to the bathroom a lot.  That presents a problem in my new classroom, as we are in a totally different building with no plumbing, and when I have my students, it's for 70-90 minute blocks, and I can't leave them, obviously, as I'm the only adult in the room.  So, yesterday, I just had tea in the morning with no stomach problems all day.  This morning, I tried one small cup instead of my usual larger two cups a day, and still had the same problem.  My husband and I are planning another W30 starting Sept. 19, so I guess I shall see if coffee is indeed the culprit, as I will be eliminating it totally for 30 days.  Just wondered if anyone else has a problem with it.  Chocolate also affects me the same way, and also gives me horrible gas. :( 

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with the students! I know I could tell you not to be hard on yourself, like you said, but that's logical and emotions are never logical. It definitely can be discouraging to see them being rude to each other, but I think that's just the reality of that age group. I remember lots of rude comments my way when I was in 4th and 5th grade, and I remember being the one making rude comments in middle school. I just spent all summer studying growth and development of children as it pertains to literacy, and I know that around this time is where they're starting to break away from what they knew and try to find out who they are and who they want to be as opposed to just listening to mom and dad. So the fact that some of them said your class was their favorite is a really good thing, because they are being sometimes brutally honest all the time as they deal with the changes that are starting to happen cognitively, socially, emotionally, etc. (Said the scholar who has never actually raised children of her own... but trying to stay positive here and apply what little knowledge i do have!)

I definitely have had similar issues with coffee in the past. I think it's a combination of the caffeine content and the acidity that can create problems, especially if you aren't cutting it with any kind of milk. It definitely also gets worse after having cut it out for a while, as your body's tolerance has gone down since it hasn't been experiencing it for a while. I had an ulcer after taking steroids for a dislocated shoulder and they told me to stop drinking coffee cold turkey because it can be such a stomach and gut irritant. So I cut it out (TOTALLY awful detox, oh my goodness) and didn't have it for a very long time, but once I started having it again I definitely noticed shakiness, higher anxiety, and a lack of appetite on the days that I had it. It's some really powerful stuff!

As for chocolate... I am SO sorry to hear that!! I forget, did you do reintroductions after the last Whole30? I know chocolate has caffeine, so if that's the irritant, it might make sense... caffeine in tea is usually gentler, for some reason. But chocolate can also have milk and soy, both of which I know are totally irritating to a lot of people. Maybe do some experimenting? How sad, having to eat different kinds of chocolate... :P

We went to a baptism over the weekend and they had these tiny little cake pops that were so adorable, I figured just one wouldn't hurt me, even though I knew there was gluten. But today, I have this massive rash on my stomach, and I can't imagine it being from anything else! So insane that just a ping pong ball-sized chunk of gluten could cause such a reaction now that I never have even a tiny bit of it!! I also have a zit the size of Saturn growing on my face, which is probably also a result of this. No more gluten for me, even a tiny bit! The rash doesn't itch or anything, but it's really ugly to look at - thank god my shirt covers it!

Well, today went a little better with my students, especially my 4th grade class.  I get the 5th graders the last 70 min. of the school day, which is not ideal.  Right off the bat two of the girls told me I "have to move their seats," as they don't like each other.  A couple of the boys were purposely annoying each other, too.  I guess I should have given up on my dream a long time ago of having a class that behaves like little angels, and just are so eager to learn that they never act up, as that would waste precious learning time. :rolleyes: Yeah, right, like that's going to happen!

It kind of makes me sad that I can't enjoy even a cup of coffee or some chocolate without stomach issues, but as you say, it's just not worth it.  Thankfully, I like tea a lot, and it doesn't seem to cause any of the problems coffee does, so at least I can still get my caffeine. As far as reintroductions, I wasn't very careful about those.  Larry and I just tried to eat "mostly W30," but didn't add in 1 non-compliant thing at a time.  I know I added coffee w/creamer right away, and rice and dairy.  Maybe this time I will take it slower.  

That's such a bummer that you can't even have one little cake pop!  I had a small piece of my son's birthday cake.  It was an ice cream cake that had a small amount of chocolate.   I should have known better, as I ended up with miserable stomach pains and gas.  Not worth it!

Oh, man, I guess things have changed from when I was 10 years old, Lol! I would NEVER have told the teacher that she "had" to do anything! Also, don't forget, it's still early, and everything always seems harder in the beginning. Once you get used to them and they get used to you, I think it will smooth out. I have a habit of freaking out every time a new quarter starts because it just seems so overwhelming and horrible, but after usually about three weeks I've got the hang of it and I do just fine. I think a lot of things in life go this way! Even now, although I still can't stand my job, I have gotten used to a lot of the routines and the people and I have found certain aspects that I like. It took a little longer, but it happened eventually, and I have my place and my things that I do and I just do it and go home.

It IS sad to learn that the foods we used to love make us feel crappy... but it is our choice, too, to decide if it's "worth it" - nothing says we can't have them, we just have to understand what happens when we do. And for me, now I know, definitely not even itty bitty bites of gluten. I'm also observing that when I have dairy I feel very depressed afterwards. I've been looking into some research that shows a link between depression and casein, the milk protein. I wonder how many people who suffer from depression and other diseases/disorders are linked with food. It's definitely beyond just the physical effects!

Sorry about the ice cream cake, too. :( Are you sure it was the chocolate, or could it have been the dairy? Dairy tends to make my stomach hurt for a day or two after I have it, if I have a lot, and Rob always gets gas after ice cream!

Hi ladies.  I don't really have any problems with coffee, other than the appetite suppression, but I view that as a positive!  If you really like coffee, Wendy, maybe you should try cold brew.  It's the heat that makes coffee so acidic, so many people with bad reactions to regular coffee can have cold brew.  And you can make it yourself.  It's so easy.  You just put some water and coffee (I've heard all different ratios from 4:1 to 8:1 water to coffee, but I guess it's trial and error to see what you like) in a pitcher and let it sit at room temperature from anywhere from 18 to 36 hours.  Then you strain it a few times.  You can also make it in a French press.  If you search for it on Pinterest or look at my Drinks board, there are a lot of recipes, but it's all basically the same concept.

I'm so sorry that things are not going well with teaching, Wendy!  But I agree with Katie that it should get better once the kids are back in the swing of being in school.  And I'm sure it's a huge difference going from 1st and 2nd graders to 4th and 5th graders.  I respect teachers so much, because I know I don't have the patience for it.  But, then again, I like spreadsheets.  Ha ha.  To each his own.  But, seriously, I really hope it gets better!

Katie, that really stinks that you can't even have a cake pop without having a bad reaction!  I have a friend who completely avoids gluten, and, even if she has a little, she has bad reactions, too.  I feel bad for y'all.  That's really interesting about depression being linked to food.  I'd love to hear more about what you find concerning that.

This past weekend was much better than last for me.  I got to see my mom and her husband.  We had a really nice time.  After the tropical storm passed through here on Friday, the weather on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday couldn't have been nicer!  We went to the pool and the beach, had dinner out, walked on the new Myrtle Beach boardwalk, and spent a lot of time just hanging out on the screened in porch.  I'm really looking forward to this coming weekend, too.  I have tomorrow and Monday off, and I'm going to a girls weekend in Virginia right on the VA/NC border.  I used to live in Northern VA, and I'm going to be meeting up with some friends who live up there.  I can't wait!  I haven't seen them in so long!  

Thanks for the support, girls. :) I'm trying not to get down on myself.  I think part of it may be that some of the students are trying to see what they can get away with. I know what you mean, Katie.  I NEVER would have had the nerve to tell my teacher she "has" to do something.  Kids are  a lot bolder these days, that's for sure.  I think the new job and new age group is just going to get some getting used to.  I'm glad you're getting into a smooth routine at work, Katie.  

I'll check out the cold press coffee, Colleen.  I didn't realize it was the heat that made it so acidic.  I guess I just assumed the gas was from the chocolate.  It never occurred to me it could be the dairy.  Maybe I don't want to know, as I don't want to have to cut out dairy while not on a W30! No, seriously, it is worth considering.  I just know that chocolate has affected me that way before, and hadn't noticed it after ice cream.  Last night, I had some Breyer's peach ice cream with no ill effects.  It is interesting to think that depression could be caused, at least in part, by food.  That makes a lot of sense, since food can cause so many other problems for some people. 

Colleen, I'm glad you had a much better weekend! Where in MB is the new boardwalk?  I'd love to check that out next  time we're there.  

Colleen, so happy to hear that you've been having a better weekend, too!! A girls weekend sounds like so much fun! My sister is asking me if I want to come and drive home with her from school in the Spring and make a road trip out of it, and I've been contemplating asking some of my girl friends if they want to come along and we can just make a big road trip out of it. There is definitely something to be said for spending some time with just the ladies! it's something I wish I had done more of when I was younger, but alas, I was too boy-crazy. :P Especially the older we get, I think the more we get caught up in life and we forget the really important things like our girl friends! I write for a local magazine and my August article was actually about making time for your best friends! 

Wendy, my mom would totally agree with you about the kids testing you on the first few days! She always used to come home exhausted from trying to pretend to be "tough" the first week or two so the kids didn't think they could get away with anything. As much as she and I clash, she is a really nice lady in general, so it was so hard for her to be like that, and I imagine it would be hard for you, too! I do think it is getting worse though, as you said kids really are a lot bolder, because  there are so many rules protecting them they know you can't really do anything to punish them. My dad went to Catholic school and he used to tell us about how the nuns would smack his knuckles with a ruler if he misbehaved - can you imagine that now?! You would NEVER work in a school again! 

I didn't realize it was the heat that made coffee so acidic, either, but it makes sense! I never get the shakes or anything from iced coffee, but I definitely get it from hot coffee. I guess maybe because cold coffee is watered down a little, it isn't as harsh? I hope that you can find a way that you can have it! I've found that if I have it with breakfast, rather than before it, the effects are much less harsh. I hope that dairy isn't the problem for you, so many good foods are dairy!! I know on our first Whole30 the one thing I missed more than anything was cheese!! Now I really just avoid it altogether for the most part, but it took a LONG time to stop missing it. 

Here are some of the articles I've been looking at about dairy/gluten and their effects on our brain. So interesting! 

http://kellybroganmd.com/two-foods-may-sabotage-brain/

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/06/24/dairy-6-reasons-you-should-avoid-it-at-all-costs-2/

And there are all sorts of personal blogs and discussion boards with people talking about it, too. I have to check out my school's library of scholarly journals and see if I can find any studies on it or something! I definitely notice that when I have dairy, I get REALLY hard on myself for a few days after until it's out of my system. When I don't eat it, it's a lot easier to be nice to myself!

Also, I have some exciting news! I got a tattoo!! :) I've wanted one for years but never could afford it, and finally I was like, you know what, I am working SO hard on school and everything, I deserve to do something great for myself. It's gonna make the budget really tight this month, but I can afford it now. So I did some research, asked around where people had had theirs done that I thought were great, and I went down and made the appointment. On Wednesday, I went and now I have a magnolia on my shoulder!! It's beautiful and I am SO excited, I love it so much!!! And I can never self-sabotage or take this away from myself, it's there forever. :D 

2np26q.jpg

Katie,

Your tattoo is lovely, and I'm glad you did something for yourself!  That's exciting!  You're brave! I would never have the nerve to get one, and if I did, it would probably be tiny, and somewhere where most people couldn't see! 

I wish I had more girlfriends around me to do fun things like girl's nights out, or a girl's weekend.  I do keep in touch with 3 of my college friends, and we are doing a couples get together next month at our college for a football game weekend.  We did it last year and had a blast.  Most of my friends at work still have younger kids, and just can't get away much.  

My step-brother is getting married today (second wedding) to a wonderful lady, and it's going to be a fun family event.  I'm so happy for them.  We've had a lot of unhappy events the last couple of years, as our dad passed away in July 2015, and his bride just lost her mother earlier this year.  So it's great to be getting together for a happy event for a change!  I love weddings.

Thank you so much!! :D I felt brave! In fact, I still feel brave! Haha. People keep asking me if it hurt and I'm like yeah, it definitely did, but I did it anyway!! It was empowering!

I have definitely been starting to see what you mean about people having kids and not being able to get out. A few of my friends have little ones now and it's like, if we want to hang out, we have to go over to their place so they can take care of the kids, and it's just not the same. A couples get together can be super fun, too, though! I just think the older we get the more life gets in the way. My coworker and I were having a conversation the other day about remember when we didn't have to work? Like, before we ever had to get a job? What did we do with all that free time? We just hung out with our friends! I miss those days!

That's exciting that your step-brother is getting married! Weddings are absolutely super fun and happy celebrations. Even if it's formal and awkward and you don't know anyone, it's still so nice to be caught up in all that positivity! Do you have to travel far away for it, or do they live close? I'm so sorry that you lost your dad, and that his wife lost her mother. I can't imagine how hard that must be. 

We went over to my boyfriend's friends' house last night for dinner, and I over-ate again. I was hoping that maybe getting the tattoo would make me feel solidly myself enough so I might not feel the need to eat like a crazy person. But they had this whole tray of different goat cheeses, and I went to town on it (goat cheese is my FAVORITE) but the dairy REALLY hurt my stomach. Like, worse than regular cheese. I've been super gassy all night and still today, my stomach is twice the size it usually is, and I'm still uncomfortably full. I do something nice for myself and then I still have to try and sabotage it. I'm also frustrated because right now I can't wear anything tight over the new ink, or I could really irritate it, so I haven't been able to do my cardio and I'm feeling the itch for it! I'm hoping to get out for a walk this evening so at least I can move a little. 

After vacation, and a wedding next Saturday, we have no more events planned because I refused to plan any because I'm going to be full-time in school again and I'll need all the time I can get. So I can take a break from food-based things until Thanksgiving, and maybe actually, solidly be able to lose some weight. I've got my appointment with the endocrinologist to look at the results of my testing in two weeks, and maybe she will have some answers for me as to why I haven't been able to. 

We're re-doing our kitchen in October, though, and Rob is planning to do take-out a lot while we are without a stove, so I'm thinking lots of steamed veggies and chicken from Chinese restaurants to stay healthy!! Lol! But I'm having SO much anxiety over food. I'm even stressing right now over the idea of going on vacation and eating out a lot and having no idea what/how much I'm eating, after gorging so much last night. :(

The wedding was right here in Columbus, and only about 20 min. from our house, so it was great we didn't have to travel.  My step-brother from Florida and his family are in town for the wedding, so it has been great to see them.  I hadn't seen them since my dad's funeral a little over a year ago, so again it was so nice to have a happy family event where everyone was in a good mood.  They also brought my stepmom up, and I hadn't seen her since earlier this summer.   My stepmom did get a little tearful a couple of times, thinking about my dad and wishing he were there, but that is understandable. They had really yummy appetizers, including shrimp cocktail, and skewers with grilled veggies and steak. There was a really nice buffet dinner (mostly healthy stuff, like salmon and veggies, so that was nice), and an open bar.  I know I over-indulged too much at the open bar, and had too many glasses of wine.  They had a DJ and dancing, so that was fun. Now that all of my kids and nieces and nephews are teenagers or in their twenties, it's really fun to see them interacting and dancing together.  

Larry and I are starting another W30 on the 19th, so it'll be good to "clean out" my system and de-tox.  I've gotten pretty careless about my eating and drinking lately, and have gained at least 5 pounds back that I lost.  

Katie, I hope you get some answers from the endocrinologist, and will get some advice on where to go from here.  That's exciting you are re-doing your kitchen, though I'm sure it will be inconvenient for a while to cook, but hopefully worth it in the end!   

I'm so glad that you had such a good time at the wedding!! I love that they are always happy occasions (although I understand there can be some drama when you're really involved...).

We are actually going to one ourselves today, and it's outside at a park but it's sunny and supposed to be about 77 degrees, so they really did get a perfect day! But Rob is part of the wedding party, and he has been running around like a chicken with his head cut off, and I don't think I'll actually get to see him until the reception! Lol!

Best of luck on your Whole30 in a few days! You're starting yours right when I start classes again!! I think it's awesome that Larry is on board to do another one with you!

Our vacation in Chincoteague this week was AMAZING. We biked all over the island and it was so good to be outside and be moving so much!! We had awesome seafood and there was actually a little roadside shack that made crab cakes without any bread crumbs or anything for filler, so they were gluten free! Overall I think we ate relatively well, with the exception of ice cream (they have a version of moose tracks that is called pony tracks which is my second favorite ice cream I have ever had in the world, DEFINITELY "worth it"!) And we woke up to watch the sunrise over the marsh both days and I slept like a baby both nights. When we got home, I totally just started to cry - three days is just so short, I wasn't ready to come back to reality yet!! :(

Glad you're vacation was amazing, sorry so short!  

Back on the Whole 30 with Larry today.  We had Chinese take-out Sat., and ate subs yesterday since we can't have them for a while!  And of course, I just had to finish off the wine so it wouldn't tempt me...So after an overindulgent weekend, I'm actually kind of glad to give my body a much-needed break from sugar and unhealthy carbs.  

Things are getting better with my classes, we are settling into a routine, but there are definitely challenges working with older kids behavior-wise, but I guess it's a trade-off, since there are issues I do not miss with younger kids.  Some of the kids are already kind of jaded and  have bad attitudes, but I do have some really sweet kids who really do want to learn, so I'm trying to focus on the positive, and not take any of the bad attitudes personally.

Archived