Moving right along!

katieblue

Hi, ladies!  Sorry I've been MIA for a couple of weeks.  Just a lot going on.  My MIL visiting was ok.  It could have been worse, and it could have been better.  I think what most bugs me about her is that she makes a fuss about her precious grandchild, but then, when she seems him, she pays attention to him for like 5 minutes.  There was one morning when my husband and I were in the kitchen making everyone breakfast, which would have been a perfect time for her and her husband to play with Chase, but instead they were just hanging out in the living room, and he was in the kitchen bugging us.  It's like she wants to show him off and talk about how much she loves him, but then really doesn't care to spend time with him.  And the Friday she was here was her birthday, so I guess that means she gets to do whatever she wants, aka invite people to my house.  And she's like, "I hope you don't mind.  Kaitlyn (my niece) wanted to see me for my birthday."  That night she made some comment about how we should all sing to her.  Really?  She's just something else.  And I get to see her again in a couple of weeks when we go to NC for a second cousin's wedding.  We're sharing a rental house with her and her husband.  Ugh!

Wendy, I have the same non-relationship with my father that your daughter has with hers.  I feel her pain.  It's so unfortunate that his family decided to ruin her graduation party.  How can adults be so childish sometimes???  I'm sorry her friends didn't come either.  That must have been rough for her.  

How did the wedding go?  I've never been to an Indian wedding, but I would love to go to one sometime.  And I'm with Katie.  I LOVE Indian food.  Just reading about the wedding is making me want to get some right now!

That's fun that you're going to Myrtle Beach at the end of July.  My mom and her husband just closed on a condo there a few weeks ago.  They were down for Memorial Day weekend, and they're coming down again in July.  They live in PA, which is where I grew up, so I'm glad they're going to have a second home closer to me.  Their condo is only 1 hour and 40 mins from my house in Mt Pleasant, which is right outside of Charleston, SC.  I live about 20 mins from the beach, and I hardly ever go anymore.  It's so sad.  I need to change that this summer!

Katie, I hear you on feeling cheated out on a parental figure.  SInce my dad sucks so bad, I was kind of hoping to marry a guy with a great father, who could be a father figure in my life, but my husband's father passed away shortly before I met him.  My mom is remarried, but it was after I moved to Charleston, so I don't have much of a relationship with him.  He's an ok guy but not much of a father figure.  And my MIL's husband is the same way.  He's a nice older man, but that's about it.

I hope you're having an amazing vacation, and I can't wait to hear all about it when you're back!

Everyone in my house has been sick for the past 1.5-2 weeks.  I had a cold that started to get better but now it's back, and I'm having sinus pain, too.  My son has an ear infection.  My husband has been coughing for about a month.  I'm hoping we all get better really soon!!

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey ladies!! I’m back from my vacation!

Wendy, I love that you guys are already planning on a beach home – both of those areas sound like they would be absolutely gorgeous! And it’s beautiful that you got married there… it’s so inspiring to hear that you found each other and that you were willing to try marriage a second time (and that it has worked out so well for you!) I hope you all have a blast on your vacation! My family never really did big family vacations, but I bet having lots of people around is cool because you can always have someone to hang out with if you want, and sometimes split off and do different things – more options, anyway!

Your daughter sounds like she is a really special lady. It’s sad that she lost her cat – I really do think that losing pets is sadder than losing people – but it’s amazing that she is such an animal rescuer. It sounds like she has a lot of compassion – must have come from her mom. ;)

Hey, Colleen! Your MIL sounds like a piece of work! Sorry that she’s such a pain to deal with – she sounds like she’s a narcissist, to be quite honest; lots of thinking of herself and not how her actions or thoughts will affect others. It totally blows that our family members can just act how they want and we’re stuck with them anyway! And then we feel like we miss out on having parental figures if ours are dumb or childish or whatever…. But at least we can vent about it to our friends, since we do get to pick them!

& I hope you all feel better very soon!! Remember to eat those veggies!! ;)

My vacation was pretty good, just not long enough! I feel like we did just as much running around trying to see everything as I do run around trying to do everything at home! So I don’t feel like I really got to relax, and my professors are already emailing out syllabi for the new quarter that starts on Monday, so I just feel really stressed. I think I’m going to take Saturday for myself and just hang around and do nothing but read and watch some chick flicks. I really need to just breathe for a little bit. Rob is going to a concert so he’ll be out of the house for the night, so I’ll have some peace and quiet and alone time! I love him to death, but his go-go-go work ethic can really stress me out sometimes because I feel obligated to keep up or stay ahead!

I did try some really awesome food while we were there – we were in Maine, so I was determined to find some form of lobster that I like! And I found a spectacular lobster roll (they even had gluten free buns!), and also lobster bisque! I made sure I ate a salad with every meal so I got my veggies in, and I brought my own green beans and tomatoes to have with breakfasts. But I wasn’t perfect; we had a slice of blueberry pie (I mean, we were in Maine!) so I had some gluten in the crust, and we tried some ice cream one night (goat cheese and blackberry Chambord flavor – how could we pass that up?!), one of my salads came with gorgonzola, and I had fries with a few of my meals. AND Portland has a donut shop that has gluten free donuts, so I had my first donuts since going gluten free in 2010 (AND THEY WERE DELICIOUS!). So I ate a lot of things that I wouldn’t normally have, and I’m feeling it. My clothes are pretty tight, my head hurts, and my stomach is a little wonky. I didn’t want to come home, but I did want to be able to eat my own food again so I know what’s going on it… too much sugar/fried food/dairy in the past few days. I’m starting my third Whole 30 today and I don’t even feel like it’s a big deal this time; it’s just tightening up on a few things like having compliant dressings again and no more bacon or regular ketchup. I’d been eating mostly paleo anyway!

Also, sorry for the novel!! Lol!!

Hello, ladies,

Colleen, so good to hear from you. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well, along with your son and husband.  I hope you all feel better soon!  Sorry to hear your MIL was a pain.  She does sound a bit narcissistic!  She would get along great with my ex and his family! lol  

Thanks for your kind words regarding the grad party and disappointment for my daughter.  I just felt bad because my daughter is one of the most unselfish people I know, and she has gone out of her way to do so much for her friends and her cousins on my ex's side, then the same is not reciprocated for her.  Oh, well, what can you do but move on?

The Indian wedding was beautiful, and like nothing I had ever seen before!  The bride was carried in by her maternal uncles, and the whole ceremony was done in Sanskrit (thank goodness there was a program explaining all of the steps in the 2 hour ceremony!).  They actually served ice cream during the ceremony, which was interesting.   My husband and I decided not to stay for the meal, as we had a lot of other things going on that day, and did not care for the food at the engagement party a year ago.  (We got Chinese on the way home!)  There was another reception in the evening that only their closest 800 friends were invited to, that we were not!  We heard from my step-daughter that the whole wedding cost something like $200,000!  It definitely was an experience, and it was so neat seeing all of the Indian girls and women dressed in their beautiful saris.  

katieblue,

I'm glad you had fun on your vacation.  My mouth almost started to water reading about the lobster bisque and roll, and the ice cream.  I know what you mean about Rob and his go-go-go work ethic.  He sounds a lot like my husband. Sometimes I'm glad when he goes to work during the summer so I can just have a day of rest.  Don't get me wrong, I love our time together, but I have always enjoyed time alone, even as a kid.  How is your third W30 going?  

Wendy

That wedding does sound beautiful! (Especially serving ice cream during the ceremony - that is so cool!) I can't believe they spent so much money on it and it was so large, but I think it's so wonderful that they are willing to do so much to have such an enormous celebration! Some things really are so happy and worth throwing a big party for, and I think we forget this in the hubbub of everyday life. (Not that I'd ever have two hundred grand to spend on anything - I swear I'll be paying off my school loans with my life insurance money when I'm dead and buried, and that's not even half of that!!)

Sorry to throw the Maine lobster at you! Lol! I don't even like lobster, but this was SO good! I will definitely always consider that a "worth-it" adventure when we are there! I definitely understand appreciating when your husband is out of the house - Rob is going out to a concert in Philadelphia tonight, so he's leaving around noon and won't be back until probably about 1am. I have the place to myself all that time and I specifically didn't make plans to do anything but sit around at home and enjoy all the time of peace, quiet, and being alone!!

My third Whole30 is going well so far - actually, it's been a really easy transition! I feel some sugar dragon cravings since I fed her during the beginning of the week, but we really don't have any desserty things in the house now, so it's been easy to just ignore it. It's become such a habit to eat this way that it really doesn't feel like a big deal at all. And I've been really lucky that I haven't had any detox symptoms like I had in the first one - I think my body is more used to eating Paleo now and so it's not such a huge change!

I'm actually proud of myself, because on Thursday, the first day after we got back from Maine and the first day of my W30, I got in a car accident in the morning. It was terrifying, but I'm fine - stressed out and freaked out (this is the first time I've had to deal with the police report, towing company, rental car agency, and insurance agency on my own; I've been in other smaller accidents but I was still on my dad's car insurance at that time) but fine! But the interesting thing was, I caught myself wanting ice cream! I haven't craved ice cream since the first Whole30 back in February! But I was like, "oh, this is so stressful, I can just start my Whole 30 tomorrow, I deserve a treat" even though I KNOW ice cream will make me feel crappy, both physically and emotionally and is NOT a treat at all. I didn't break down and stayed compliant all day, but it was so funny that even after all this time, when I was met with a really stressful situation, I automatically wanted to go to food for comfort!! But I get my relaxing day of downtime today as a reward instead. I think I'm going to sit outside in the sun and try and even out my sunburn from vacation with a good book! :)

katieblue,

I'm sorry to hear about your car accident.  I'm so glad you're ok!  Accidents are terrifying,(and a pain when you have to deal with police reports, car insurance, etc.) and it sounds like you handled it really well.  I can totally understand the ice cream craving afterward (though I probably would have thought, "I need a glass of wine now! ) :) But that's great that you didn't cave in to your temptation and stayed compliant.  Sounds like you're off to a great start on your 3rd W301

Yes, I can't believe my step-daughter's friends' parents spent that much on the wedding.  I guess it's typical in their culture, though. 

I'm enjoying a day to myself, today, too.  Just planning on doing some things around the house (at my own pace, not Larry's!), and I think I will sit outside and read a while, too!  I just came back from a 2 mile walk with my dog.  I wanted to get it in early today, since it's supposed to be like 86 today, and my dog does not enjoy walking in that heat at her age.

Wendy

Thank you, Wendy! It was SO scary. I find myself flinching now if a car is rolling too quickly toward a stop sign that would put them right in my path! And I got the estimate yesterday to fix it - over $4000!! There was a LOT of damage to my poor baby. But thank god it wasn't to me!!

I hope you had an amazing day to yourself yesterday!! :) I know I did! I made that berry BBQ sauce with strawberries and it is the best one so far! And I made some more ketchup and chicken for salads, so I'm all stocked up for my 30 days! (Or 26 left!)

Today we went to breakfast at my dad's, and he was so cool about me not being able to eat the bacon or sausage, and made my eggs separate so we didn't put milk or cheese in them. And we're having Rob's family over now for a BBQ, and I made a salad, potato salad and pineapple cole slaw in Whole 30 fashion so it will be so easy to stay compliant!

I really have to share with you all, I had the BEST moment in the gym this morning!! This random guy I've never spoken to before came up to me while I was doing arms and fist bumped me and went, "Keep at it, girl, you look awesome!" and walked away. It made me so happy!! Haha. :)

Hope you're all doing well!! xo

Hi, girls.  Katie, I'm so sorry to hear about your car accident.  They are really a pain to deal with, but I'm glad you're ok.  I'm sitting at my desk at work, kind of hungry, and all your food talk made me want lobster, strawberry bbq sauce, and ice cream!  I'm glad you're moving along with your Whole 30, and that is really awesome that the guy at the gym noticed you look good.  You go, girl!

Wendy, that wedding sounds so extravagant!  I don't know how I would make it through a 2-hour ceremony in a foreign language, but it sounds like it was still pretty interesting.

I am so ready for this work day to be over.  It's been very stressful!  My friend has just become a LuLaRoe consultant and is having a pre-sale tonight at her house.  I'm looking forward to a glass (or two or three) of wine!

Thanks, Colleen! I'm glad I'm okay, too - but gosh, it has been just one phone call after another every day. Plus, I miss my baby. I'm driving a Dodge Dart right now - insult to injury! Lol!

And sorry for inducing cravings!! I'm back on Whole30ing so no more lobster roll or ice cream for me, either! Although I'm sure I could make a lobster roll with compliant mayo in a lettuce wrap if I wanted... I wonder how expensive lobster would be right now...

Sorry that you've had a stressful work day, but I do hope the pre-sale party and wine were helpful (and worth it!).

We're making tacos tonight, and I am so pumped - this has become one of my favorite Whole 30 dinners, for sure. And so easy! (AND I'm going to the chiropractor to see the results of my x-rays from the accident, so I'll be home late, so Rob is making it all - woohoo!!!)

katieblue,  

I sure hope your x-rays are ok, and you don't have any lingering effects from the accident.  It's funny to hear you talk about your "baby!"  You sound just like me when I talk about my car.  My husband Larry bought me a brand new Toyota Prius for our first anniversary in 2012.  (I know some people hate Priuses, so if any of you are Prius haters, that's fine, just don't tell me, ok?).  I LOVE my car.  I always wanted one, and I had never had a brand new car before.  The other thing about my car I love (other than the insane gas milage I get for my 40 minute commute twice a day), is that it is my favorite color ("Sea glass pearl," or most people call it aqua).  Now my husband is trying to talk me into getting me a brand new one again, and giving my "baby" to my daughter who just got her license, but I'm so attached to my car, I don't even want a new one.  Ok, I'll quit rambling about my car!  katieblue, when do you get yours back?  Enjoy your tacos!  

Colleen,

I hope the rest of your day gets better, and enjoy the pre-sale party and wine!  Wish I could join you!  A co-worker had a LuLaRoe party after school one day recently, but unfortunately I couldn't attend.  It sounded like fun, and several ladies bought some really cute clothes.

Wendy

The party last night was really fun, and the bubbly and sangria were totally worth it!  As were the three small brownies I ate :).  And then I had a donut and another half brownie at work this morning.  It was all worth it :).

I bought a pair of leggins and a silvery, but not too shiny, tunic at the party last night.  I've become mildly obsessed with LuLaRoe clothing, since I found out about it a few months ago.  I have 3 pairs of leggins, 3 tunics, a skirt, a dress, and 2 perfect tees.  I need to stop!!  But now that my good friend is selling it, I'm sure it's just going to get worse.

Katie, when you make your tacos, do you do the meat in a crockpot with a jar of salsa?  I really need to make those sometimes.  What do you do for toppings?  Salsa, guac, what else?  I need some new, easy W30 dinner ideas.  Tonight, we're doing fajitas over cauliflower rice.  Cauliflower rice has become one of my new favorite easy to make items.  It doesn't taste like rice, obviously, but I like the taste of it, and I think it's a good sub for rice.  

Wendy, I love Priuses!  They're so cute, and the gas mileage is awesome.  

Wendy, I think it's fabulous that you love your car so much!! There is really something amazing about having a brand new car, and I think your husband is a doll for buying you what you always wanted for your birthday. And it probably looks awesome in that color!! :) And you really do get so attached to them, I can imagine why you don't want to part with it! Mine is a Honda Civic, and she was also my first brand-new car (before that I drove a boat of a '97 Cadillac that my dad got for a few hundred dollars as my first car). But I bought this one myself, with my own money and just my name on the papers, and there is so much pride in owning a car straight off the lot. I'm supposed to get her back on the 28th, but we shall see.

Colleen, so glad you had a good time and "worth it" moments at the party!! I honestly have not seen LuLaRoe clothes still, but I may have to check them out if they're that good and you ladies like them so much!

Although I have done chicken in the crock pot with salsa, I don't make the tacos that way. I start with about 1/2 a sweet onion in some clarified butter, fried until it is softened, and then add 3lbs. of ground meat (usually turkey, and I make so much so we have leftovers!). Then when the meat is browned, I add this seasoning mix and about 1/4 cup of water, and simmer it for another 5-10 minutes. When I turn the heat off, I add some chopped cilantro. Then I serve them with homemade guac (I use one avocado, about a teaspoon of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1-2 tbsp lime juice, and 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, and salt and pepper), pico de gallo, olives, diced tomato, maybe shredded lettuce (although not always necessary because they are in lettuce boats already! Lol!), Cholua hot sauce, fried jalapenos (seeds removed), fried plantains (sometimes with cinnamon). Last night, we added some pineapple chunks to them, and tried them with some Viking hot sauce. We also will do a veggie side, and last night we grilled some baby bell peppers and portobellos tossed with just some EVOO, salt and pepper. :) 

Cauliflower rice is awesome, you are so right!! I just have a teeny tiny food processor so it's a chore for me to make it since I have to do it in cycles. Have you ever grabbed the frozen bags from Trader Joe's? I hear it's just as good and I'd love to try it someday!

Colleen,

I'm glad you enjoyed the party, and that the treats were worth it!   :) I have heard that the LuLaRoe clothing can become an obsession from some other people who bought at the party I couldn't attend.  I've heard it's really cute and comfy.  

I love cauliflower rice, too!  We get ours at Trader Joe's.  Do you make your own?  The recipe in the W30 book looked like it would take a while.  

Katieblue, I want to hear about how you make your tacos, too.  I have made boneless chicken in the crockpot with a container of salsa, and a packet of taco seasoning, and it turned out really well.  What do you use to wrap the taco in since obviously tortillas or shells are out during the W30?

Wendy

Hahaha, you are so welcome! ;) We use romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves to wrap the tacos in, and they work really well!

And do you like the Trader Joe's rice? Our Trader Joe's is about 40 minutes north of me, and I can't quite justify making the trip just for "rice"... haha.

Yes, I do like the Trader Joe's cauliflower rice a lot.  It comes frozen, and I think it's only like 1.99 a bag.  Not sure it's worth a 40 min. trip, but I bet you get pretty good gas mileage in your Civic.  :) I had a Civic before my Prius, and I loved that car as well!  If you do make it to Trader Joe's, I also love the frozen organic mango chunks.

Thank you! I LOVE mango! One of our other go-to easy Whole30 recipes has been a copycat recipe that we tried to recreate from Cave, the paleo restaurant near me: ground turkey burgers with Jerk seasoning and chunks of mango, with fried plantains on top, in lettuce wraps. I never ate much mango before we started making these, but we always have at least half the mango left over after we put some into the burgers, and we usually just slice it up and eat it as a side. Oh my gosh, it is DELICIOUS! I also recently found a mango kombucha flavor, which is SO sweet.

If I have multiple reasons to go there, maybe it will be worth the trip. ;)

And I do love my little Civic! I miss her terribly and can't wait to get her back. My boyfriend actually drives a Civic, too. I feel like I can't imagine ever wanting to drive anything else!

Katie, thanks so much for the taco recipe.  That sounds a lot better than what I was picturing!  I've done crockpot taco filling, which was just chicken breasts and salsa.  It's quick and easy, but it's a little boring.  I like the ground turkey burgers with mango idea, too.  I need to buy/cook plantains more often.  The only cauliflower rice I've had is the frozen stuff from Trader Joe's, but I've heard it's not too difficult to make in the food processor.  However, if you only have a small one, it might be too much trouble.  I absolutely LOVE TJ's, and I can give you a long list of W30 and other things you can get there to make your trip worthwhile :).  All of these items are W30: caulirice, plantain chips, almond butter, cashew butter, frozen grass-fed burgers, frozen buffalo burgers, frozen chile lime chicken burgers, frozen turkey burgers, lara bars, all kind of nuts (they have great prices!), pre-made guac, pico, salsa, they have great prices on lemons and limes (and other produce), unsweetened green iced tea with mint, tea, cofffee.  It's an experience :).  I would drive 40 mins to go.  Not every week, but I think it's worth it.  If you google Whole 30 at Trader Joe's there are multiple pins of compliant items.  Oh, and I drive a Civic, too!  It's actually my second one.  I really like it, but I think when it's paid off next year, I'm going to get something a bit bigger, because it is kind of difficult to get my son in and out of his carseat.  

Hope you both have great weekends!

You're so welcome! If you try it, please let me know if you like it! :) Plantains have become such a staple at our house; we have them every opportunity that we can because, well, they're just so delicious! Especially with a sprinkling of cinnamon - mmmm!!

Thanks for the list of W30 foods at Trader Joe's! That definitely sounds like it could be worth the trip! I'm actually going to be up that way for a dentist appointment on Tuesday, so if I get out early enough, maybe I'll stop in and grab a few things! :) The chile lime chicken burgers sound so interesting!!

Yay for Civic Sisters!! Haha. They are fabulous little cars, but I can definitely see why it might not be the most baby friendly.

I hope you have an awesome weekend as well!! We have a baby shower to go to tomorrow, which I'm sort of dreading because baby showers are boring, and also because there will inevitably be a lot of food I'll want to eat! Lol! Also it is going to be uncomfortable because guys and girls are both invited, which is a cool concept, but Rob has some drama with some of his friends. The couple having the baby are Jay and Tara, and Jay's old roommate Rich used to date their friend Stacey. Well, Rich and Stacey had a HORRIBLE breakup about two years ago and haven't spoken since then, and are both dating other people now. But Both Rich and Stacey and their respective significant others are invited. Stacey's boyfriend is working and can't go, so she asked if she can carpool with us, and Rich's fiance is kind of psychotic/possessive and I am just so nervous there is going to be drama. Which will make me want to eat!! But luckily it's from 2-6 so I think I can eat lunch before we go, and then have dinner after we leave and probably be just fine.

katieblue,

I made tacos last night using your recipe for the meat, and the homemade seasoning you posted.  It turned out really well! I'm sad I can't have leftovers today, as I'm having a medical procedure tomorrow where I have to be on an all  clear liquid diet today.   

I hope the baby shower was fun and not full of unpleasant drama!  And I agree with Colleen, I'm sure you can find enough W30 items at TJ's to make it worth the trip.  I always buy 2-3 containers of their pico de gallo, since it is cheap and delicious, and totally compliant.  I also found some compliant lunch meat there that my husband liked for taking to work. And my mouth is starting to water thinking about those mango chunks.  :)

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.  It's sunny and going to be 90 again today here.

Wendy

Aww, I'm sorry you can't have the leftovers, too!! But I'm happy you liked them anyway! I hope that your procedure goes well, I will be thinking of you all day!! xo

That baby shower yesterday was ROUGH - they were catered by Surf Taco, which is this amazeballs Mexicali food chain in southern New Jersey. They had a make your own taco bar!! I had no idea what they cooked their meat and veggies in, so I just sat there and watched everyone else pig out, and oh my lord, it was such a challenge. I wanted a taco so, so badly. But I held strong - and Rob was so sweet and didn't eat anything either, he waited until we got home to eat burgers with me!! I am so lucky to have such a supportive guy.

Does the Trader Joe's pico de gallo keep for a while? I find that whenever I buy it from Shop Rite or Stop & Shop, it gets too bitter after a day or two because of the acidity. I think it's amazing they have compliant lunch meat, too, I thought that was impossible!! You ladies are totally selling me on making the trip! Haha. Now to get a break from homework so I can go...

I'm so jealous of the 90 degrees!! It's gorgeous here, too, but I'd always be happy to have it warmer. It's barely skimming 80, which for me isn't warm enough even for shorts - I always run really cold! But I did get to go do cardio on the boardwalk this morning, which was spectacular and beautiful, so I'm so grateful for that. :)

katieblue,

You are so sweet!  :) Don't worry, the procedure is just something I need to get every few years since I'm old. lol  I'm sure everything will be fine, it's just such a pain not being able to eat anything for 24 hours prior.  I'm sure I will eat a huge meal afterward!

Sounds like you did an amazing job not caving in to the Mexican taco bar!  That would have been really hard for me, too.  That is so sweet of Rob to be so supportive.  Larry has been making a point not to eat in front of me today, as he feels bad that I can't.  We're lucky to have such sweet, supportive guys.  :)

I've not had a problem w/the TJ's pico de gallo going bad, but then again Larry usually gobbles it up so fast it doesn't get a chance to go bad.  

I know what you mean about being cold all the time.  During the summer, I keep a sweater in my car all the time, because I get so cold in AC.  Cardio on the boardwalk sound fun!  

Ugh, I understand, it's so hard when you have to fast for any reason! I hope that it all went fine! Do you have something yummy planned for when you're done?

I remember I had to get an endoscopy and it was the same thing, I couldn't eat for a long time before it, and when I got out I was still groggy from the anesthetic and I asked the nurse if I could eat finally and she laughed and went, "Yeah, you can have anything you want now, you can have a cheeseburger if you want!" And as soon as we got home I had Rob make me a cheeseburger because it sounded so good and it was probably the best burger I've ever had!! Lol!

It's so fabulous that Larry is just as supportive of you and trying not to eat in front of you - sounds like he's very aware of you and considerate!! It is definitely wonderful to have found people who legitimately care about us. :)

I definitely get gobbling up the pico de gallo! Haha. Usually the little pint containers say they have like 12 servings, but for us it's more like two servings each! Lol!

Someday I want to try making my own, but I am daunted by chopping everything up so tiny. Even though I cook a lot now, I still don't really like it, so I don't really want to make more work for myself than necessary.

I have a sweater in my car, too!! And a shawl in my locker at work! See, you get me. I'm so glad that we all met on this site! 

Cardio on the boardwalk is great, especially because I go at like 6am, so nobody was there yet except other joggers. The boardwalk is amazing when it's quiet before the crowds come in. I always get this incredible feeling of peace from the ocean. :)

I'm FINALLY trying to make kalua pork today!! I'm doing it in the crock pot with just the Hawaiian salt and liquid smoke, since I can't use bacon like the recipe from Nom Nom Paleo because I refuse to pay that much for sugarless bacon. :P We're making these pineapple teriyaki cauliflower poppers and rosemary roasted baby potatoes as sides, and we have some cucumber tomato salad leftover from last night. And by we I mean Rob, since I have a chiropractor appointment after work today and won't be home until about 6:30-7:00. I prepped every possible thing that I could so all he has to do is toss them in their respective seasonings and put them in the oven and pull the pork... we shall see how this goes!! I'm just excited to not have to do anything. ;)

Hi, I am  back to the land of the eating.  :) I had to have a colonoscopy (not fun, but a necessary evil of old age : ) This is my 3rd one, and I got the best report of them all, which of course I chose to credit to the W30.  :) Apparently all is well, so I feel pretty good since I also got a clear mammogram earlier this month.  Cancer is such a worry these days, so it's nice to know that I don't have 2 of the most common cancers at least right now.  Sorry if that was TMI. :o

Larry took me out for brunch afterwards, and I was warned at the hospital not to have anything greasy or spicy, so the breakfast burrito I had planned on was out, so I had pancakes with blueberries and bananas.  (I know pancakes are off the rails, but I was famished after not eating for 36 hours, so please forgive me Dennis and Melissa).  

I know what you mean about the pico de gallo. I don't have a food processor, so it just seems like too much work to chop up everything so tiny when I can get perfectly delicious pico at TJ's for 1.99 a container.

You are so lucky to live so close to the ocean.  I always feel so peaceful by the beach, too.  That's why it's my dream to one day have a home near the beach.

Let us know how the kalua pork turns out. Sounds really yummy!

Wendy

Archived