It's my birthday - help?!

So my birthday is coming up on Sunday (that's right, on Easter!) and that will be day 13 of my Whole30.  If it was just me I wouldn't have a problem just eating some delicious fruit and maybe splurging on some salmon, but one of my roommates is insistent on making me a birthday treat.  She asked me what kind of cake I want and I told her that I'm trying to stay off of sugar right now, so she said "oh, I can make you some kind of fruit pizza with cream cheese or something instead".  

I really don't know what to do.  She is so sweet & is insistent on making me a treat and I don't want to have to try to explain Whole30 to her or my other roommates who know & care practically nothing about this type of eating.  They wouldn't understand why I can't just slack off for one day.  I halfheartedly looked up paleo desserts but I don't have the heart to give her some sort of paleo-fied recipe idea because A) that's expensive and B) I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who has ever even heard of medjool dates and coconut cream.  

So basically, I don't want to put anyone out or have them think I'm "weird".  Everyone already puts up with me being Celiac and is so great about working around that and I hate being more of a burden.  I don't mind inconveniencing myself for a Whole30 but I do NOT want to be one of those pretentious healthy food snobs who only eats like 3 things ever to everyone around me.

Help?

Happy Birthday, Madison.

Sometimes you need a visual to show others why you're staying away from certain foods.  I found something today that deals with all of the foods that go along with Easter.  

It lists the ingredients with a  Grade. It tells you why certain ingredients are controversial and unhealthy.

I like it.  Most all of the usual suspects (Easter candy) get an F or F-.   You can look up any brand, any item....I'll be showing this to my friends and folks.

Here's an example. 

http://www.foodfacts.com/ci/nutritionfacts/candy/whoppers-mini-robin-eggs-malted-milk-candy-12-oz/6490#sthash.ABRsuHId.dpbs

• Moderators

I second the suggestion of asking to do something non-food related, but if that's not an option and they really want to make you a cake, ask them to wait and have the celebration later, after you've finished your Whole30. Or ask them to make you a totally Whole30 recipe that you've been wanting to try that maybe you haven't had time to make. 

The thing is, there are always going to be people who don't understand your food choices or other choices you make throughout your life, and you need to figure out the middle ground between just going with what other people say and being "one of those pretentious healthy food snobs who only eats like 3 things ever to everyone around me" -- and there is a middle ground. Right now, in the middle of a Whole30, you do have very strict rules to follow, but only for 30 days. Even if your friends don't understand why you're doing this, they should support that you are doing this, and even if they think it's nuts and don't understand why you can't cheat, they need to respect your decisions.

I had a cousin who celebrated her birthday on a whole30 with a wedge of pineapple.

If she continues to insist on a treat, why not suggest a post w30 party where you can suggest a treat then? And then on your actual bday, just have a nice dinner and an extra lime wedge with mineral/sparkling water? Or maybe just say that you'd love a (insert non food here) instead? Like a mani/pedi or paint your own canvas/pottery kinda thing?

Archived