Muscle Fatigue

KathyPang

Need some advice.....I work out @5:30am m-f and don't eat any pre-workout meal...needless to say it's tough rolling out of bed and getting it done. I do a 25min. intense workout. In the past I've been okay with it, found my self getting stronger with each week. However, since I began my Whole30 journey...I'm now in week 4 of workouts and my leg muscles are so weak, whereas this should be when I see improvement in my stamina and strength.

Can it be the lack of carbs??? I'm definitely on task with program, a lot of protein, veggies and healthy fat, some fruit, gallon of water....but my body is just weak and tired. Not finding the energy level I thought I would.

Welcome all thoughts on this.....thanks

• Moderators

What have you been eating? Could you give us a couple of days' worth of typical foods on workout days? Include approximate serving sizes.

Why aren't you having anything pre-workout? Have you tried to have a little bit of something -- the recommendation is protein and fat, so maybe a hard boiled egg, or whatever protein you have leftover with a little mayo or avocado or olives.

Post workout, are you having a bit of lean protein and optionally some starchy vegetables? Chicken or tuna with some sweet potato is a popular post-workout meal.

Both pre- and post-workout meals are small, but they are in addition to your three meals a day. You don't have to give up all carbs. Most people feel best with a fist-sized serving of some kind of starchy vegetable each day. Some people do better with more, a few are okay with less, but that's a good guideline to start with, if you're not having any consistently.

Thanks Shannon,

Typical meals are:
b- 2 eggs, 2cups spinach steamed  and 6 oz. sweet potato

l- larger mixed green salad w/ 6oz. chicken, 1/2cup strawberries olive oil and balsamic

d- 6 oz. chicken w/ steamed veggies, whole avocado 

This is standard template for me - I don't do pre-workout meal because I basically roll out of bed, pee (tmi) and workout.....then shower and off to work.I then eat my breakfast by 8am eggs, sweet potato and spinach 

So you're not including a postWO meal?

I'd say it's lack of protein causing your muscle fatigue. Post WO your muscles need protein for recovery & repair. Without the postWO meal (it need only be a few bites immediately upon finishing, before showering) you're short changing your muscles of that food that they have earned, and if your meals are also light on protein then you're going to constantly be playing catch-up.

Eggs, when they are your only source of protein in a meal should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand - that's 3-4 for most females.

I've honestly no idea how much 6oz chicken is. What does it look like in relation to the size of your palm?

Then having had your postWO meal (say a few bites of chicken & maybe some starchy veg) you could do with more fat in your first actual meal of the day...

thanks, I need to incorporate at least the post workout meals then....I'll try and eat before shower....hard boiled egg or chicken w/ small bite of sweet potato(always have them prepped in fridge) -  the 6oz. of chicken is about is slighlty bigger than my palm but not as big as my hand, make sense?

thanks for your suggestions....will start tomorrow and hopefully see some improvement .....have a great day!!!

thanks, I need to incorporate at least the post workout meals then....I'll try and eat before shower....hard boiled egg or chicken w/ small bite of sweet potato(always have them prepped in fridge) -  the 6oz. of chicken is about is slighlty bigger than my palm but not as big as my hand, make sense?

thanks for your suggestions....will start tomorrow and hopefully see some improvement .....have a great day!!!

If you're opting for egg as your postWO then ditch the yolk - fat will slow down absorption of the nutrients to the muscle.

You might try adding in a little more chicken to your other meals - the guideline is for 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein but this is minimum - it's okay to eat more and if you're working out x5 times a week you may find you need to eat towards the higher end of the template. Or at the very least add in another egg to meal one.

Let us know how you go  :)

I have a question related to the post workout, so I guess I'm hijacking this thread. I have started my second Whole 30 and am incorporating weights and HIIT this time, 3x a week. I did have a hard boiled egg before I left for the gym, but when I got home I just had a few bites of left over potatoes and within 20 mins started cooking my breakfast. Normally with breakfast I don't incorporate additional fat, because I eat 3-4 eggs. 

Am I eating breakfast too close to working out and will this cause the fat in the eggs to slow down nutrient absorption?

I have a question related to the post workout, so I guess I'm hijacking this thread. I have started my second Whole 30 and am incorporating weights and HIIT this time, 3x a week. I did have a hard boiled egg before I left for the gym, but when I got home I just had a few bites of left over potatoes and within 20 mins started cooking my breakfast. Normally with breakfast I don't incorporate additional fat, because I eat 3-4 eggs. 

Am I eating breakfast too close to working out and will this cause the fat in the eggs to slow down nutrient absorption?

I think you're fine except you need a little protein with those potatoes.  I do the same thing only at lunchtime.  Eat a PWO meal, workout, eat something in the locker room while I shower, dress, then come back to the office and eat my lunch.

Also, I eat eggs most mornings and despite eating 3-4, I still include a fat... My go to breakfast is eggs, sauteed veggies (cooked in some type of oil) and then a dollop of mayo on the veggies.

Thanks so much. I can certainly add some fat to my breakfast. I do also sautee at least 1 1/2 cups of veggies and I eat a chicken apple sausage. I don't always finish my breakfast but I figure that's alright. I eat until I'm full and know I can make it the 4 - 5 hours until lunch. 

Archived